WWDC 2013?

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
If Google cared about user experience, why didn't they bully the oems/carriers in allowing timely updates on Android like Apple is allowed?
If Google cared about user experience, why did it take 3-4 years before Chrome Browser allow you to change font size?
If Google cared about user experience, why did they took so long to come out with Project Butter to finally fix most of the lag issues with Android?
If Google cared about user experience, why don't they force hardware standards for new releases of Android?
If Google cared about user experience, why they keep releasing different social networks after we get use to one?
If Google cared about user experience, why did they take out iGoogle?

Google cares about knowing your habits and how they can market and sell those habits for profit.

Wow. Someone sounds **** hurt.

Imagine a world where google didn't exist and Microsoft and Apple controlled everything.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
What does Google assuming people with do research or think for themselves have anything to do with standards? Is having standards now the result for thinking for people?

Ford, GMC, and Chrysler lost growth in the automobile market because of this sort of thinking and it almost killed them all. The current successful American car company is Ford. Why? Because they started copying Toyota/Honda's quality standards.

So what is your point? Is it that Android is losing market share because they don't meet your notion of quality standards? Google is now going to the government to get bail outs because their business model is not competitive?

You need to think before you type.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Wow. Someone sounds **** hurt.

Imagine a world where google didn't exist and Microsoft and Apple controlled everything.

So instead of answering my statements that refuted your statement, all you can muster is that I am hurt?

Google controls the search market, whenever they change their search algorithm, they prove that they are in control of the internet. The way I found out about this site is because I searched for Android Forums. They control more internet more than Apple and Microsoft because when people use their product, they still go to Google in most cases to search.

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
If Apple cares about user experience, why did it take them years to make a ui that it's customers had been wanting and voicing opinions about. It can be applied to every os, if your going to centre out Google then think about everything apple lacks that consumers want and ask for and never get. it doesn't mean they don't care about consumers. They obviously do. Apple and Google both care they just operate differently. Its stupid to think otherwise. And again like another poster said, where would we be today without Google or Microsoft. Food for thought :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
What does Google assuming people with do research or think for themselves have anything to do with standards? Is having standards now the result for thinking for people?

Ford, GMC, and Chrysler lost growth in the automobile market because of this sort of thinking and it almost killed them all. The current successful American car company is Ford. Why? Because they started copying Toyota/Honda's quality standards.

Because if you will be irritated by a buggy device, do your own research to make the appropriate choice instead of just trying to be cheap and by the lowest cost phone. Those phones are for people who don't care as much about performance, or they can't afford the flagship devices. It's cool those budget devices are available, because for some people that's the only option for them. For others, they would do well to make sure they take a few steps up and get a device that's every bit as good and often better than any iPhone being offered.

As far as the car comparison, you talk about Toyota quality. Maybe you should research their recalls the last 5 years and then talk about their "quality". Obviously we have different opinions of quality. Also, RAM is outselling Ford trucks, and Chevy is on par with Ford's car sales. Especially with the new Cruze. And it's not because they copied Toyota or Honda's standards. They went back to their own standards from the 60's, 70's and even early 80's. Look at the Mustang, Charger, Challenger and Camaro. Those are not following the standards of crap Japanese cars.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If Google cared about user experience, why didn't they bully the oems/carriers in allowing timely updates on Android like Apple is allowed?
If Google cared about user experience, why did it take 3-4 years before Chrome Browser allow you to change font size?
If Google cared about user experience, why did they took so long to come out with Project Butter to finally fix most of the lag issues with Android?
If Google cared about user experience, why don't they force hardware standards for new releases of Android?
If Google cared about user experience, why they keep releasing different social networks after we get use to one?

Google cares about knowing your habits and how they can market and sell those habits for profit.

I think much of what you mentioned is reasonable comments. But you have to consider Google/Android has just in the last year or two grown up from infant to young adult. Two years ago we were playing with Android 2.1/2.2 ( Eclair/Froyo ) as the standard. Gingerbread was coming on strong along with Honeycomb being introduced for the first stage of Android tablets. Much has changed since then and there has been many highs and lows along the way. With the introduction of Android 4.0 and above Google set forward to getting the developers and OEMs all on the same page. Utilizing the same base format and setting standards to be followed and sure that has come with some questions and debate but in the long run its turning out better for everyone on all ends of the ecosystem known as Android.

Much of the same can be said about other projects Google gets involved in. Takes time to get it right and there will be hurdles, mistakes and even some promises broken along the way but I personally like the way things are turning out as time goes by.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
So instead of answering my statements that refuted your statement, all you can muster is that I am hurt?

Google controls the search market, whenever they change their search algorithm, they prove that they are in control of the internet. The way I found out about this site is because I searched for Android Forums. They control more internet more than Apple and Microsoft because when people use their product, they still go to Google in most cases to search.

Because what you wrote was ridiculous to the pont of not needing a direct response.

Regarding them controlling the search market, so? What does that have to do with the topic at hand? Or are you saying they got to be dominant in search because they don't care about user experience? :confused:

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
If Apple cares about user experience, why did it take them years to make a ui that it's customers had been wanting and voicing opinions about. It can be applied to every os, if your going to centre out Google then think about everything apple lacks that consumers want and ask for and never get. it doesn't mean they don't care about consumers. They obviously do. Apple and Google both care they just operate differently. Its stupid to think otherwise. And again like another poster said, where would we be today without Google or Microsoft. Food for thought :)

This is were competition is great, it forces adjustments that may not have come otherwise.

I agree also, the problem with Apple is they blinded themselves with their own vision of what users want at times.

Somebody high up had to wake them up with the changes to IOS7.

This is were ios is frustrating. Why can't I have better cross integration with applications. One example is that if onCloud wants to use dropbox for storage on IOS, they can't access the app with permission directly, they have to go to the web base version through the browser to get around this limitation.

htabbach

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

Actually, Google as a company is more powerful than Apple if you ask me, I do not understand why Google does not pressure carriers and OEMs for timely updates and also, bloatware, no iPhone has any carriers specific junk, Google can twist some arms, they just chose not to.

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
This is were competition is great, it forces adjustments that may not have come otherwise.

I agree also, the problem with Apple is they blinded themselves with their own vision of what users want at times.

Somebody high up had to wake them up with the changes to IOS7.

This is were ios is frustrating. Why can't I have better cross integration with applications. One example is that if onCloud wants to use dropbox for storage on IOS, they can't access the app with permission directly, they have to go to the web base version through the browser to get around this limitation.

Exactly. I'm glad you agree. But their blinders are off and they're gonna come back with tough competition for Android now that they are moving more towards an android experience. It will be interesting to see how Google and android respond to the new competition based on their next software updates. I'm looking forward to it.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Actually, Google as a company is more powerful than Apple if you ask me, I do not understand why Google does not pressure carriers and OEMs for timely updates and also, bloatware, no iPhone has any carriers specific junk, Google can twist some arms, they just chose not to.

How would you propose google twist the carrier's arms to get updates to Samsung, HTC, Sony, Huwai, Oppo, LG etc. handsets?

htabbach

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Because what you wrote was ridiculous to the pont of not needing a direct response.

Regarding them controlling the search market, so? What does that have to do with the topic at hand? Or are you saying they got to be dominant in search because they don't care about user experience? :confused:

Why respond then my friend? There is no reason to belittle anyone's opinion, we are here to discuss and hopefully learn something!

htabbach

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
How would you propose google twist the carrier's arms to get updates to Samsung, HTC, Sony, Huwai, Oppo, LG etc. handsets?

Not sure I understand the question, how does Apple do it?

Edit: Ok, I think I understand now, it is called SLAs (Service Level Agreements), Google could require the OEMs, and carriers to work within a specified timeframe for update, something like, when a new Android comes out, OEMs have "Fill the blank" to provide a working update if the license to be continued, something like that.

ncvikingx97

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Neither of us are being immature, we're talking about phones. That's what this forum is about. Why would you call us immature? Then you go on and do what you told him not to do by "retaliating". We're keeping the discussion friendly.

Lol I didn't even read all of the comments, I didn't even mean to call you out, I was talking about him. And by the way, I do apologize for that comment (to both of you)I was kind of pissed this morning lol. I was trying to say that because a company uses lower quality and crappier hardware on some phones does not change the user interface, or how much Google cares about user experience. I was also stating that apple does the same thing by keeping older I phones cheaper. That is all, my apologies:p

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Not sure I understand the question, how does Apple do it?

Apple obviously can say if you don't do it like this, we won't allow you to sell the phone.

Google can't tell AT&T that if they don't update the S4 they can't sell the S4. I think that would be Samsung's position, would it not?

So what are you saying google could do? Threaten to delist them in google search? Seriously, what control do they have?

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Because if you will be irritated by a buggy device, do your own research to make the appropriate choice instead of just trying to be cheap and by the lowest cost phone. Those phones are for people who don't care as much about performance, or they can't afford the flagship devices. It's cool those budget devices are available, because for some people that's the only option for them. For others, they would do well to make sure they take a few steps up and get a device that's every bit as good and often better than any iPhone being offered.

As far as the car comparison, you talk about Toyota quality. Maybe you should research their recalls the last 5 years and then talk about their "quality". Obviously we have different opinions of quality. Also, RAM is outselling Ford trucks, and Chevy is on par with Ford's car sales. Especially with the new Cruze. And it's not because they copied Toyota or Honda's standards. They went back to their own standards from the 60's, 70's and even early 80's. Look at the Mustang, Charger, Challenger and Camaro. Those are not following the standards of crap Japanese cars.

On the recall point. Toyota has taken a lot of hits. I agree with that. Part of that is because they got to comfortable also.

The part I disagree with is the going back to 60,70, 80s standards. GM and Ford both stated that they were copying and looking at how Toyota manufacturer cars and how they could improve upon it. Now they also stated they weren't blinding doing this but using them as a foundation to what they want to build upon. CEO of Ford had flat out stated he admired how Toyota did things and that was the path they were following. GM started to look at how Toyota organized design groups and started copying their manufacturing system.

This is how they decided to move forward, they looked at Toyota. They even asked for Toyota for advice. Chrysler, I have no clue about and honestly will never taken interest in them to do so.

The difference is Toyota didn't pull an Apple and sue everybody because of this. They were willing to help. They even stated they didn't want GM to go bankrupt.

Apple went nuclear.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Apple obviously can say if you don't do it like this, we won't allow you to sell the phone.

Google can't tell AT&T that if they don't update the S4 they can't sell the S4. I think that would be Samsung's position, would it not?

So what are you saying google could do? Threaten to delist them in google search? Seriously, what control do they have?

Here is what I think Google can do. They can work with Samsung, HTC, LG, and Motorola(Which they own now) and approach the carriers. They state this is the new standard we like to propose with regards to updates. One of the carriers is going to give in initially. Whether it be ATT, T-Mobile etc. If ATT and Sprint allow faster updates, this may force a company like Verizon to move forward on this.

What are the carriers going to say if these 4 cell phone makers work together on this? We aren't going to sell your phones anymore? All that threat leaves them with is Pantech, Huawei, and other lower tier manufacturers.

I think it can be done.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. I'm glad you agree. But their blinders are off and they're gonna come back with tough competition for Android now that they are moving more towards an android experience. It will be interesting to see how Google and android respond to the new competition based on their next software updates. I'm looking forward to it.

Server lag is slowing me down lol. I think I/O 2013 was a big step in the right direction. And they even gave us a clear outline on how they were looking long term. Good example is Hangouts.

It is like iMessage/Facetime/Skype in one and they are working on SMS integration.

Only thing I really want left from Google is a storyboard like Apple has for development. Then I would be like a kid in the Candy store.

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Server lag is slowing me down lol. I think I/O 2013 was a big step in the right direction. And they even gave us a clear outline on how they were looking long term. Good example is Hangouts.

It is like iMessage/Facetime/Skype in one and they are working on SMS integration.

Only thing I really want left from Google is a storyboard like Apple has for development. Then I would be like a kid in the Candy store.

Yes. I watched the I/O and was mesmerised lol. I'm finally using hangouts and love the layout. Its so clean and simple, and was what I was missing from my iphone: I message. Love that they're coming up with their own way. Ha& no idea they were looking to integrate it into sms though. Now that's exciting lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835