WWDC 2013?

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Forcing Google to do certain things you list here kind of goes against Android's openness. Seems that for Google to be "more" successful, they should be more strict - like Apple. But it seems like for Apple to be "more" successful, they should be more open - like Google.

That was in response in Google cares about the User Experience. That maybe changing now, but that wasn't the case. How do you take 2-3 years to update your browser so people can increase the font size without zooming in? It was a common complaint about Chrome.

People tend to forget in all this why Google invested in Android in the first place. To find a new market to expand into and maintain domination with regards to online advertising revenues.
Openness was just a tool to help with rapid expansion and a means to an end. If you really think about it. Android 4.0 was a means to fix all the User Experience issues/reputation Android has had from the beginning. My point is and will be, Android 4.0 should have been the initial experience, minus adjustments made for the hardware that existed a couple years ago.

Is that really innovating though? Their custom chips seem evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

Can you tell me of any other Phone manufacturer who made their own instruction set in their own cpu? The end result was a much faster more efficient cpu without any major speed bump. Evolutionary would have been for Apple to start using the next generation arm processor.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
True. And he mentions multitasking when Apples isn't 100% multitasking.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

That was reference to IOS7 multitasking APIs not IOS6 or less. IOS6 and less did have multitasking though. 7 services were allowed in the background but everything else was limited to a suspended state if wasn't really on any of those services. Remember using GPS software and fielding a phone call or browsing the web at the same time is multitasking even though it might not be the multitasking you want.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
That was in response in Google cares about the User Experience. That maybe changing now, but that wasn't the case. How do you take 2-3 years to update your browser so people can increase the font size without zooming in? It was a common complaint about Chrome.

People tend to forget in all this why Google invested in Android in the first place. To find a new market to expand into and maintain domination with regards to online advertising revenues.
Openness was just a tool to help with rapid expansion and a means to an end. If you really think about it. Android 4.0 was a means to fix all the User Experience issues/reputation Android has had from the beginning. My point is and will be, Android 4.0 should have been the initial experience, minus adjustments made for the hardware that existed a couple years ago.

LOL. Why not say 4.3 should have been the initial experience? Why not say it should run on unicorn farts? You think that google wasn't trying to make Android as good as they could at each stage - because they don't care about the user experience? I am pretty certain they have been putting in a lot of effort all along.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
LOL. Why not say 4.3 should have been the initial experience? Why not say it should run on unicorn farts? You think that google wasn't trying to make Android as good as they could at each stage - because they don't care about the user experience? I am pretty certain they have been putting in a lot of effort all along.

Until Larry Page took over in 2011, Google did not care about design or the user experience. They weren't putting the effort in because their focus was on data. How to get data as fast as possible and use it for search and advertising revenue.

That is why the look and feel of everything Google has it hands in has change so dramatically over the last couple years.

I wanted to type out some more, but this article probably explains it better.

Redesigning Google: how Larry Page engineered a beautiful revolution | The Verge

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
A quick note here: the discussion in this thread is perfectly fine ? even enjoyable, looking at things like the article on The Verge that FarishK just posted ? but there were some posts that got a bit out of hand in the last page or two. I think everyone recognizes that those posts don't do much but cause frustration and effort for those who read and/or respond to them. I saw more than one that was edited to remove statements that were unnecessary. I pulled the posts, let's move on and have a good discussion here. There's lots to talk about as far as Apple, Google, and where they're heading both through microscopic (device-level) analysis and macroscopic (industry-level; like FarishK's link) analysis. :)

Here's a header and subheader from that article on The Verge: "Restructuring a legacy: Google's built a process that is quintessentially Google." There's very interesting stuff in that article; I highly recommend everyone takes a few minutes to read through it.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Until Larry Page took over in 2011, Google did not care about design or the user experience. They weren't putting the effort in because their focus was on data. How to get data as fast as possible and use it for search and advertising revenue.

That is why the look and feel of everything Google has it hands in has change so dramatically over the last couple years.

I wanted to type out some more, but this article probably explains it better.

Redesigning Google: how Larry Page engineered a beautiful revolution | The Verge

Well, I am well aware of changes at google. That still doesn't support that they "didn't care" about user experience prior to this, and it certainly doesn't support a claim that 2013's version of software should have been the original version, any more than the claim that microsoft should have released windows 7 instead when they released windows ME.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Multitasking cards swiping up to delete...

Live Long and Prosper using Tapatalk II

So...just like WebOS???!!! :rolleyes:

Once again Apple proves they love "borrowing" stuff from others.

Oh but if others borrow from Apple?
They can't take it and go to court!

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
So...just like WebOS???!!! :rolleyes:

Once again Apple proves they love "borrowing" stuff from others.

Oh but if others borrow from Apple?
They can't take it and go to court!

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums

Isn't WebOS open source now. Therefore Apple is becoming more open in IOS....... ;)

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Yea, Apple and their fanbois will keep saying that! A lot of us know better ;)

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to Apples staleness and there stubbornness to give customers a bigger screen i'm now a proud owner of a Samsung Galaxy S4 (brought yesterday). Apple have only got themselves to blame, they need to be more open and give customers more options such as bigger screens and more customisable options.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to Apples staleness and there stubbornness to give customers a bigger screen i'm now a proud owner of a Samsung Galaxy S4 (brought yesterday). Apple have only got themselves to blame, they need to be more open and give customers more options such as bigger screens and more customisable options.

Welcome aboard mate.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

If Apple does come out with a bigger screen, Android U.S. marketshare will probably take a huge hit. Apple is already gaining and Android is dropping U.S. marketshare.

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
If Apple does come out with a bigger screen, Android U.S. marketshare will probably take a huge hit. Apple is already gaining and Android is dropping U.S. marketshare.

I dont know if Apple will in the near future but i think long term they will, UK marketshare has Android gaining a little. I've seen and heard people saying the same as what i did before i brought my S4 that they are fed up with Apple releasing just S model small upgrades and keeping the OS locked down, people want to feel in control of there phones and be able to customise.

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I dont know if Apple will in the near future but i think long term they will, UK marketshare has Android gaining a little. I've seen and heard people saying the same as what i did before i brought my S4 that they are fed up with Apple releasing just S model small upgrades and keeping the OS locked down, people want to feel in control of there phones and be able to customise.

I was just reading they are testing out both a 4.7" and 5.7" screen size (i know they test many sizes before deciding on one) but that's a pretty big jump from what they are currently at... I wonder if it will ever happen?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

ncvikingx97

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I think that they would go with the 4.7 inch because of the more standardized size. Regardless, a bigger iPhone would take a big chunk from galaxy s4 and HTC one sales .

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
So was it a joke? I feel like I'm missing something... :p

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Yes and originally I was going to write this code in my response.

if (Apple == steals from open source software){

return sarcasm;
}else{

return what apple believes;

}

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC