Maps eating my battery even when im not using it.

dency45

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Maps eating my battery even when im not using it. how to disable apps that are using maps?
Here are the screen shots. Screen On is 3H and 40M.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-11-09-57-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-11-09-57-45.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_2013-06-11-09-57-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-11-09-57-57.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_2013-06-11-09-58-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-11-09-58-24.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 66

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yep been there! In my case what I did was to go into application manager and uninstall Maps. You will be presented with an option to use factory app after you select uninstall, select ok, that will be Maps just without any updates that have occurred since you got your device. Bear in mind that if you have any shortcuts to Maps on your home screen this will remove those too. Later Maps will update and at least in my case this corrected the issue.

I also began to experience some slowing ( lag ) in my device and stuttering when apps opened. Unrelated to the Maps issue you describe. I ended up doing an erase/restore and reinstalled all my apps which cleared up everything including an issue I was having with Google Play Music constantly running in the background. I have read over and over about those who do an erase/restore right out of the box and always wondered why, now I know. It seems, again at least in my case, doing so just cleans things up. I also disabled all my AT&T apps that I never use. Now my device speeds through every task like it should. My point being, if you want to take the time to go through this option it may work best for you and help with any other app related problems you are experiencing if any, like I had. YMMV

I hope this helps.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Before doing a factory reset try going into Application Manager open up Maps and see if there isn't an option to remove updates. That fixed some users problem with Maps. Of course if that doesn't work mhunter6378 has a good solution that has worked for many.

EDIT: just realized mhunter6378 recommended the same thing. Need more coffee....

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
is there any way to back up the data of my games if i will do factory reset?

When you do a factory reset you have the option of backing up your data. I assume it will save your game data but I can't guarantee it.
Settings>Accounts>Backup and reset

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried going to Google settings (not settings but the app Google settings)>maps and latitude and disabling all of those settings?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Or settings>accounts>google>location and turn off let Google apps use your location

dency45

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Or settings>accounts>google>location and turn off let Google apps use your location

Thanks. I turned it off. Hope it will work. :)

When you do a factory reset you have the option of backing up your data. I assume it will save your game data but I can't guarantee it.
Settings>Accounts>Backup and reset

I hope so because my old android device is nexus 7 so i repeated some of my games in SGS4.

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I turned it off. Hope it will work. :)

I hope so because my old android device is nexus 7 so i repeated some of my games in SGS4.

No problem. Keep us updated. Also for good measure you could go to application manager>all>maps>clear cache.

dency45

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
and now some other thing eats my battery. i lost 9% even when screen is off. wifi is off during sleep.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-12-07-09-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-12-07-09-07.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_2013-06-12-07-09-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-12-07-09-17.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 33

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
and now some other thing eats my battery. i lost 9% even when screen is off. wifi is off during sleep.

Looks to me like you may be in an area with a poor signal? If your signal is going in and out and your phone is always searching for a signal that will kill your battery as well.

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Your phone even tells you in the second screenshot to go into flight mode to save battery when you have a poor signal. Do you see it?

dency45

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
yes i see it. i just want to post it here. but im sleeping that time and im waiting for a call. so turning it off is not an option.

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
yes i see it. i just want to post it here. but im sleeping that time and im waiting for a call. so turning it off is not an option.

That's understandable. Well I guess there's really nothing you can do about it. Some stuff is just going to kill your battery. Can't stop everything. What carrier are you with? If you have tmobile you can use wifi calling. Then your phone won't use any power searching for a cell signal.

Race Director

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Almost 9 hours off the charger, you're @ 88% and that's "eating your battery"? You need to seriously lower your expectations because that's very good battery life.

troutspinner

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I had s similar issue with my s4 but could not find a cause. It was also getting hot and laggy. I reset it back to factory and have since had no issues.

The geek in me wanted to find out why, the old man in me just wanted a fix so the reset was an easy one. Being this is my first go with android, I was impressed how quickly I was back up and running. Since I have a SD card that I store my pics and music on, nothing was of concern to backup. A quick login to Google via setting it up restored all of my contacts and email and the 60 or so apps I have.

I'll probably do this again in the future just to clean things up here and there. Kind of like a reformat to a PC for the same reason.

troutspinner

dency45

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I had s similar issue with my s4 but could not find a cause. It was also getting hot and laggy. I reset it back to factory and have since had no issues.

The geek in me wanted to find out why, the old man in me just wanted a fix so the reset was an easy one. Being this is my first go with android, I was impressed how quickly I was back up and running. Since I have a SD card that I store my pics and music on, nothing was of concern to backup. A quick login to Google via setting it up restored all of my contacts and email and the 60 or so apps I have.

I'll probably do this again in the future just to clean things up here and there. Kind of like a reformat to a PC for the same reason.

troutspinner

how did you back up your saved games?