Galaxy S4 Auxiliary Whine/Squeak

burnetet

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I recently got a Verizon Galaxy S4 and I am getting a whining squeaking noise when playing music through an auxiliary input into my car stereo (it is a BMW if it matters). I am not getting the same problem when using normal headphones. I have tried 2 different cords in my car and they both have the same problem. This is a huge deal and I may decide to return the phone if I cant figure it out. I will most likely root my phone so that may fix the issue with a new ROM, but I would like to try to get it figured out before I go down the rooting path.

Any ideas?

chrscaley

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I recently got a Verizon Galaxy S4 and I am getting a whining squeaking noise when playing music through an auxiliary input into my car stereo (it is a BMW if it matters). I am not getting the same problem when using normal headphones. I have tried 2 different cords in my car and they both have the same problem. This is a huge deal and I may decide to return the phone if I cant figure it out. I will most likely root my phone so that may fix the issue with a new ROM, but I would like to try to get it figured out before I go down the rooting path.

Any ideas?

I know this may be obvious and you probably already tried it but have you tried turning the volume down on the phone?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

ddadon112

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem in my BMW. Then again I had it with my BB9900 and my iPhone 4S before the Samsung S4.
The only devices that have been whine free have been my iPad 4th gen wifi only and iPod. Makes me think the whine is caused by mobile signal interference.

MrBrownstone

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed that right away. That whining is like alternator whine in a car, and on my headphones it still occurs too.

The manufacturer blames Pandora, but on my old 4$$-ed EVO there's no static like on this new State-of-The-Art S4.

It's a manufacturer problem

Posted via Android Central App

burnetet

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem in my BMW. Then again I had it with my BB9900 and my iPhone 4S before the Samsung S4.
The only devices that have been whine free have been my iPad 4th gen wifi only and iPod. Makes me think the whine is caused by mobile signal interference.

Yeah my Galaxy Nexus was fine. Also turning down the volume does not help, the whine stays the same.

- - - Updated - - -

I have noticed that right away. That whining is like alternator whine in a car, and on my headphones it still occurs too.

The manufacturer blames Pandora, but on my old 4$$-ed EVO there's no static like on this new State-of-The-Art S4.

It's a manufacturer problem

Posted via Android Central App

Are you taking it back to try a new device? I wonder if this is a problem on all of the S4s or just some of them.

dakhath

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I've had this problem for years.
Is this whine happening when using the AUX input AND connected to a car charger?
Does it go away when you unplug the car charger?

I had the same problem before on several devices and phones only when using a car charger and aux cable. I could hear the spark plugs firing or alternator. Getting rid of the OEM spark plug wires for better shielded ones helped on one car but then I could hear the alternator on another. A high quality car charger helped smooth it out. I was using a low cost one and it was giving me a "dirty" electrical charge full of noise that the radio would pick up. There is a lot of poorly shielded wiring in a car. Using the aux cable and a car charger at the same time just makes it a part of that "dirty" environment. I ended up just sending the audio through bluetooth keeping the phone out of the electrical loop.

juergen99

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I had the same problem before I started using Bluetooth. I was able to reduce it by maybe 80% with an inline filter. I got it from Radio Shack. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact product. I just checked their site and didn't come up with anything. Hopefully it will come to me, if so I'll post it.

UPDATE: Found it : Ground Loop Isolator : Isolators | RadioShack.com

Ground loop isolater. Unfortunately you will need some adapters and it is a bit bulky. In my case it was all hidden in the glove box. It did work for me. You can always try it out and if it doesn't work, return it.

Chilloutdude

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
This is a s4 problem. My s3 did not have this problem using the same charger and aux cord. I still have my s3 and i switched them back and forth. Its the s4... on mine turning the volume up on the phone seems to leesen the noise. Also if u have a 12v inverter that changes dc power to 120v ac power use that as your line filter. Just plug your normal house charger into it. My noise isnt from alternator though. It does not whine in sync with the engine. Mine is just a dirty background squieling noise.
Had an evo on the same setup and didt have an issue either...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692