Home button clicking.

kennethbring

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had my S4 about a month. I've periodically noticed the home button starting to get louder when I push it. I'm almost positive it's just a piece of debris that found its way underneath somehow. I'm just wondering if anyone knows any way to clean this without dismantling the phone? I've tried using air but the space between the home button and the frame seems almost air tight. Haven't seen any other posts about this, so I hope I'm not the only one with this issue.

Posted via Android Central App

odd

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
So weird, I was about to post the same thing.

Mine just clicked incredibly loudly (like an iPhone 3G), and then it has a slight wiggle to it. The left side clicks quietly, while the right side of the button clicks a little bit louder. It definitely takes away some of the fit and finish on the phone, so I would also be interested in a fix. I'm hoping I didn't get some orange juice or something in between the key, but I am pretty sure i've noticed this since I unwrapped it. I also would be open to avoiding the home button as much as possible with other commands.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
It's not supposed to click?

I unlocked and spent time customizing it that I can live with it.

Unless there's a quick & easy fix, I think it's too much to deal with and risking damaging it by taking it apart.

kennethbring

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
It's not supposed to click?

I unlocked and spent time customizing it that I can live with it.

Unless there's a quick & easy fix, I think it's too much to deal with and risking damaging it by taking it apart.

Not to the point where you can hear it. Mine definitely hasn't been doing this since I've had it so I know it's not intentional. But I agree. Not a big enough deal to take the phone apart.

I don't remember my GS3 having this problem in the 9 months I had it. Or if it did, it was so short lived that I didn't even notice it.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I came across many S3's that had loud clicking home buttons. My S4 makes an audible clicking sound. Works fine. They all are made in different factories. It's like some iPhones having loose sleep wake buttons. Some do, some don't.

kennethbring

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I came across many S3's that had loud clicking home buttons. My S4 makes an audible clicking sound. Works fine. They all are made in different factories. It's like some iPhones having loose sleep wake buttons. Some do, some don't.

As I mentioned earlier though, this just started recently. So I don't believe it's a manufacturing fault.

jillstacey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey, guys. This happened to me last Thursday. Out of the blue! It sounded/felt like there were bits of rock salt trapped beneath the button every time it got clicked. Continuously clicking it made it stop for a while, but after some idleness the clicking returns.

I brought it to the service center last Saturday and Samsung replaced the entire front of the phone. Only took 2 hours.

If I were you I'd have it fixed/replaced ASAP. You don't have to put up with the frustrating sensation/sound.

:)

Terb

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
My home button, power & volume buttons all make the same clicking sound. As they are all working perfect, just gonna go with it myself.

Posted via Android Central App Using My Galaxy S4

Aaron Watson

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I think they are supposed to clock. My s3's home button doesn't make a noise at all when pressed on the sides but makes a soft noise when on middle.

Posted via Android Central App from my Samsung Galaxy S3! GT-19300

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not to the point where you can hear it. Mine definitely hasn't been doing this since I've had it so I know it's not intentional. But I agree. Not a big enough deal to take the phone apart.

I don't remember my GS3 having this problem in the 9 months I had it. Or if it did, it was so short lived that I didn't even notice it.

My GS3 definitely clicks. It has for months and months now.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It's all about software nav buttons or capacitive buttons! Wish the S4 came in these options as well. The single physical button on the S4 just wreaks of 'wannabe iPhone' IMO.

kennethbring

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
It's supposed to click, yes. But not as loud as mine has been. It's clear there's debris underneath the button. I'm just curios if there's a way to clean it without dismantling the phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's supposed to click, yes. But not as loud as mine has been. It's clear there's debris underneath the button. I'm just curios if there's a way to clean it without dismantling the phone.

Probably not since they made the button to not pop off. You'd have to take a video to explain the loudness.. I mean my S3 makes a very noticeable click that you can hear easily if you are in earshot of me.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

tl11

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue and was able to fix it by doing the following. Put a small amount of water on your fingertip and rub the home button and surrounding areas with it (you may want to do this with phone off). Use the corner of a piece of paper and go around the home button, in between the gap. This soaks up the excess water and cleans the gap. I think what happens is that we get something sticky in there, like juice or soda.

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I find that sweat getting in there causes this issue as well (I take my S4 to the gym w me).

Try blowing hard on the edges of the home button as well. This seems to help too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Rashed Alam

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
hi guys

does samsung provides warranty for this issue?

i am from sydney, australia.

i am having same issue and went to samsung authorized repair center and they told me that they wont support this under warranty as it is normal wear with time.

any suggestion would be appreciated.

cheers

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey, guys. This happened to me last Thursday. Out of the blue! It sounded/felt like there were bits of rock salt trapped beneath the button every time it got clicked. Continuously clicking it made it stop for a while, but after some idleness the clicking returns.

I brought it to the service center last Saturday and Samsung replaced the entire front of the phone. Only took 2 hours.

If I were you I'd have it fixed/replaced ASAP. You don't have to put up with the frustrating sensation/sound.

:)

This just started happening to me. It's annoying as hell. I don't think it's debris since it stops after clicking a few times then happens again after letting it sit for a few minutes.

I'm using the "my home button" app along with "smart screen on" so honestly I never have to touch the button. I just think it happens over time.

sent from my galaxy S4

Moguspoor

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I came to this thread because of the same problem. Sounds like crushing salt under the button.
While reading this thread I thought of blowing the button.
So I pressed down and blew hard all sides.
Problem gone immediately. I think it's just a very small dirt. I can't even see it.