GS4 is losing big time

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Voting on a website for a phone or actually going out to buy it is very different. Who knows how many people voted without even owning the device?
But spending your money on it.. pretty much confirms which device is better for you (in most cases).

This is not a "quality" argument.. it's more of a popularity contest. And like it or not S4 is selling more then HTC one... hence making it more popular. Not better quality :)

Interesting. S4 fans claim that popularity doesn't determine a phone's quality when a poll shows the One is winning, but are quick to point out that the S4 has sold more to support their claim that the S4 is better. So popularity only determines a phone's quality when it favors you, right?

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Voting on a website for a phone or actually going out to buy it is very different. Who knows how many people voted without even owning the device?
But spending your money on it.. pretty much confirms which device is better for you (in most cases).

This is not a "quality" argument.. it's more of a popularity contest. And like it or not S4 is selling more then HTC one... hence making it more popular. Not better quality :)

What about people who can't afford a phone or who aren't due for an upgrade yet? You can't exclude them from measuring phone popularity. Sales exclude them. Polls don't. It doesn't matter whether or not someone voted without owning the device. Doesn't change the fact that they prefer the phone.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I do not know about the One, but per friends at Best Buy (one deals with warehouse logistics) and two corporate acquaintances at Verizon, the S4 is not selling anywhere near what was expected. No reason given why this might be the case. My thought for part of it is a lot of people are still happy with the S3 and a lot of folks have unlimited data want to keep it and not pay full price.

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
True. But that's not an accurate vote. How could you vote for the best of anything if you haven't used it?? Sort of like voting for best picture in the oscars but all you seen was the commercials :)

What about people who can't afford a phone or who aren't due for an upgrade yet? You can't exclude them from measuring phone popularity. Sales exclude them. Polls don't. It doesn't matter whether or not someone voted without owning the device. Doesn't change the fact that they prefer the phone.

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
It's the same people voting daily. If every person that has an S4 votes and every person that has an HTC one votes. S4 would have 2/3 times more votes..
People show what device they like better by buying it.. and they're buying the S4 :)

But is everyone that has the S4 going to vote for the S4 ? I know quite a few disappointed S4 owners.

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Yea i think the S3 is very popular still. Also HTC one is getting decent sells.
Samsung set the bar pretty high with the S3

I do not know about the One, but per friends at Best Buy (one deals with warehouse logistics) and two corporate acquaintances at Verizon, the S4 is not selling anywhere near what was expected. No reason given why this might be the case. My thought for part of it is a lot of people are still happy with the S3 and a lot of folks have unlimited data want to keep it and not pay full price.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
True. But that's not an accurate vote. How could you vote for the best of anything if you haven't used it?? Sort of like voting for best picture in the oscars but all you seen was the commercials :)

I don't own a One, S4, Note 2, Optimus G Pro, Optimus G, Galaxy Nexus, HTC First, Kindle Fire, or Nexus 10, but I've used them all.

On the other hand, many people who voted haven't used the devices like I have.

On the other hand, I knew the Nexus 4 was the phone for me before I had even seen one in real life.

I'm going to stop before this turns into Fiddler on the Roof.

tarnak

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. S4 fans claim that popularity doesn't determine a phone's quality when a poll shows the One is winning, but are quick to point out that the S4 has sold more to support their claim that the S4 is better. So popularity only determines a phone's quality when it favors you, right?

You should try this in an Apple forum, they will gang up and post you to death. One of the most militaristic feeling forums I have ever been too. At least here, we can ask questions about other phones and compare them to our current phone and for the most part have civil responses.

May 24, 2013
Visit site
There are quite a bit of complaints of various issues with the S4 on this board, could have something to do with it.

I know I am far from completely satisfied, to the point where I wouldn't reccomend it to others. I hoping they fix all the issues, sticking with it for now .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

What issues exactly?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Not aware of any device that does not have real or perceived issues. It could be, build, performance, heat, radio reception, battery life, the UI, OS, bloat, sound level, sound quality, display quality, touch response, locked boot loader, lack of updates, bad updates, ram size, storage sizes, fit, form, function, fixed battery, no sd slot, IO speed, etc.

Factor in the subjectivity of a lot of those issues alone and there is no way a device will not have issues in some form or fashion. In fact, it would be parsing and delusional to say no issues exist.

Added: It would be REALLY delusional ;)

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey I get it, in this case sales probably really does relate to the better overall device. Or, it could be Samsung has 10x the marketing budget and 10x the established fan base. Really, I don't care, and I didn't mean for everyone to get so **** hurt.

I'm in the market for a new phone in the next 2 months. I visit the forums of phones I'm interested in buying. So I wouldn't call it a hobby but rather research, and I took 30 seconds to post in a thread.

I agree that sales don't mean quality. But you can't compare 2 items so differently priced. Obviously Chevy sells more because it's affordable. Maybe only 1 or 2 % of people could afford a RR.
But anyone looking to get a smartphone could probably afford to get an HTC one or the S4. And people are choosing the S4...Does it mean it's better quality? No. But it probably means that the S4 offers more to consumers looking to spend their hard earned money.

If you think it's "fun" to make irrelevant comments on a sub forum of a mobile device you don't even own... you seriously need to find new hobbies lol

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Nothing wrong with a little research :). I don't think you could go wrong with any device.

Hey I get it, in this case sales probably really does relate to the better overall device. Or, it could be Samsung has 10x the marketing budget and 10x the established fan base. Really, I don't care, and I didn't mean for everyone to get so **** hurt.

I'm in the market for a new phone in the next 2 months. I visit the forums of phones I'm interested in buying. So I wouldn't call it a hobby but rather research, and I took 30 seconds to post in a thread.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
The phone that "wins" and is the "best" is the phone that works for you and makes you happy. That's the only thing that matters...not polls on a website. Or even sales figures.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar