hello everybody,
    as the title says im new to android phones, and ill be having the galaxy s4 as my first android phone.

i need all the info you can possibly give me concerning

1.Storage
    i see people complain about the storage on the s4, and as im a heavy gamer, ill be needing a lot of space.
    there is an update coming soon allowing to move inferior to 50mb apps, and a lot of games are waaay heavier than that . so i need to know

How do i get to move any app from the internal storage to an sd card. ( im counting on rooting the phone as soon as i get hands on it )
    so tell me what apps you use etc, and how it works.

2.Apps
    one thing that made me move to android is well the apps, and the beautiful s4,
    so im counting on downloading a lot of apps , may it be on the play store, or elsewhere...
    i need to know if 'side-loading' an app is the best way to install an app ive just downloaded from the internet
    if it is , tell me how you do, if it is not tell me what is the best way for you.
    because a lot of people have problem installing apps they've downloaded and moved to their phone, with the file explorer
    they get an error about the version of the phone or something like that.

those are my concerns about the s4 and android, basically i need to know how to put the apps ive downloaded online in my phone and make them run well,
    and how to move them to my sd card .

and finally rooting is much more complex than jailbreaking ( not actually doing it , but using it after)
    so if i root my phone,
    do i lose any performance ?
    is there like a cydia app for rooted s4 ?
    what are the most useful apps to get after i rooted my phone, and where to get them ?
    i've heard about roms, and flashing things , whats that ?
    other advantages of rooting ?

so thank you all for your help, i look forward to your answers, and anything you can add to that.
    i know its a lot of questions, but answer what you can , it will help me a bunch

PS: if im in the wrong section move me
    06-12-2013 01:40 PM
    hello everybody,
    as the title says im new to android phones, and ill be having the galaxy s4 as my first android phone.

i need all the info you can possibly give me concerning

1.Storage
    i see people complain about the storage on the s4, and as im a heavy gamer, ill be needing a lot of space.
    there is an update coming soon allowing to move inferior to 50mb apps, and a lot of games are waaay heavier than that . so i need to know

How do i get to move any app from the internal storage to an sd card. ( im counting on rooting the phone as soon as i get hands on it )
    so tell me what apps you use etc, and how it works.

2.Apps
    one thing that made me move to android is well the apps, and the beautiful s4,
    so im counting on downloading a lot of apps , may it be on the play store, or elsewhere...
    i need to know if 'side-loading' an app is the best way to install an app ive just downloaded from the internet
    if it is , tell me how you do, if it is not tell me what is the best way for you.
    because a lot of people have problem installing apps they've downloaded and moved to their phone, with the file explorer
    they get an error about the version of the phone or something like that.

those are my concerns about the s4 and android, basically i need to know how to put the apps ive downloaded online in my phone and make them run well,
    and how to move them to my sd card .

and finally rooting is much more complex than jailbreaking ( not actually doing it , but using it after)
    so if i root my phone,
    do i lose any performance ?
    is there like a cydia app for rooted s4 ?
    what are the most useful apps to get after i rooted my phone, and where to get them ?
    i've heard about roms, and flashing things , whats that ?
    other advantages of rooting ?

so thank you all for your help, i look forward to your answers, and anything you can add to that.
    i know its a lot of questions, but answer what you can , it will help me a bunch

PS: if im in the wrong section move me
    Well first off; Welcome to the forums and Android!

I will try to answer your questions as best I can.
    1. Storage/moving apps: At the moment, the ability to move apps to your Internal was just announced that it will become available again, it is still up to the developer if they want to incorporate moving apps to the SD card. However. the Android OS does not like having data in multiple places. They take longer to load. If you really need to do this, you are right you do need to root, and get some type of app that moves data to the External. Again, this is all up to the developer.

2. Downloading apps: I would stick to the Play Store or Amazon. Anywhere else, and you are most likely asking for trouble. As for side loading....again, I would be careful with that. Scan for any viruses on your PC before doing so, and again when loading.

2a. Apps just need to be selected from Play. That's it. When you do that they automatically install, due to being signed from Google.

3. Rooting:
    a. Performance: None is lost, and it can be argued that some can be gained, but by downloading an app like Titanium Backup, you can freeze or delete apps and back up corresponding data. (That was 2 questions answered in one statement....lol)

b. I don't know what cyndia is, so I cannot answer that question.

c. Flashing ROMs...I will say this since you are new....baby steps. Everything has to learn to stand before it can learn to walk. Nature's rule. Flashing a ROM can open you up to more customizing, and more fun, but is also more likely to brick your device. Study very carefully, obtain files that are for your device model and carrier. Read that last line again, it is very important., and many people don't heed that line, leading to problems with bricking. If you have any questions, ask here first. It is so much better to wait a few days, then to spend a sleepless night or three trying to recover your phone. And always...always make a backup of your ROM and have back up stock ROM files so that you have solid starting points in case there are problems.
    VDub2174 likes this.
    06-12-2013 11:01 PM
    Golfdriver answered your questions pretty good, so I'll explain your cydia question. There is no "cydia" app for android. Apps for root can either be installed through Google Play (just search for root), or sideloaded (search for Android root apps and you'll get a huge list.) One of my favorite root apps is AdAway, a good way to block ads in apps and webpages.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    06-13-2013 01:11 AM
    thank you both , you've help me a lot now i know what to do and how to do it
    06-13-2013 07:49 AM