11-30-2013 09:19 PM
64 123
tools
    If something was THAT important to OP, he could've checked it out at the store before buying.

EDIT: Look at his post totals and screen name. Nuff said.
    Seriously?

I should have known when I played with the locked down store model that Samsung had locked the sound to that sole theme? Is it not reasonable to think that the sounds would be changeable?

I'm new to this board because I'm new to Android and this looked like "THE PLACE" to discuss all things Android. My screen name is the same alias I've used for a decade of online gaming, sorry it offended you Mr. I'm-holding-a-paintball-gun-in-my-avatar.

I'm not a troll, just somewhat freaked out by the mess that is the stock "TouchWiz" interface on this beautiful device. My only previous experience with Android is on a Nexus 7, and that device has a clean, refined looking interface (stock 4.2). By comparison, "TouchWiz" looks like 5 UI designers all sneezed at the same time. It's a mess and you're crazy if you are so in love with this product that you can't see it.

Anyway I have installed a bunch of apps to get away from TouchWiz (a launcher, for example). I'm afraid to root it quite yet because I don't know how to put it back and I doubt they'd exchange a rooted device if I decide to trade it in for something else.

Thanks to Smooth4Lyfe who actually answered my question... Now to go try that app and see if I can actually change the sounds
    06-14-2013 08:53 AM
    Hmm. Well everyone should calm down. I mean, we are talking about phones...
    Anyway, I actually like the little noises if I ever have them on. If I'm on silence I enjoy the silence too.

I hate suggesting alternate apps, but since your problem is pretty specific, I'll suggest: DIaler One from the app store.
    You can replace the current S4 dialer with Dialer One. It has no touch tone at first but you can go into settings and have it beep like a regular phone.

I don't use it, but I know it's a good phone replacement app.
    msndrstood likes this.
    06-14-2013 09:12 AM
    Seriously?

I should have known when I played with the locked down store model that Samsung had locked the sound to that sole theme? Is it not reasonable to think that the sounds would be changeable?

I'm new to this board because I'm new to Android and this looked like "THE PLACE" to discuss all things Android. My screen name is the same alias I've used for a decade of online gaming, sorry it offended you Mr. I'm-holding-a-paintball-gun-in-my-avatar.

I'm not a troll, just somewhat freaked out by the mess that is the stock "TouchWiz" interface on this beautiful device. My only previous experience with Android is on a Nexus 7, and that device has a clean, refined looking interface (stock 4.2). By comparison, "TouchWiz" looks like 5 UI designers all sneezed at the same time. It's a mess and you're crazy if you are so in love with this product that you can't see it.

Anyway I have installed a bunch of apps to get away from TouchWiz (a launcher, for example). I'm afraid to root it quite yet because I don't know how to put it back and I doubt they'd exchange a rooted device if I decide to trade it in for something else.

Thanks to Smooth4Lyfe who actually answered my question... Now to go try that app and see if I can actually change the sounds
    For TouchWiz just replace it with another launcher. That's what I did .

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    06-14-2013 10:55 AM
    ^ He has an issue with the sounds, which still remain after you put another launcher on the phone.

The sounds are part of a respective app. The phone app, for example, has the dialing "bubble" tone you don't like.
    You have to change the app to change the sound.
    06-14-2013 11:02 AM
    If you're unhappy with these sounds and TouchWiz in general (as you said it's ugly and bloated), I'd recommend either (1) rooting the phone and running a stock ROM or (2) returning it and getting a Nexus or Google Edition phone. Good luck in whatever you end up doing!
    msndrstood and neiljay6 like this.
    06-14-2013 09:43 PM
    The great thing about the smart phone market is that there are so many choices, so we have more chances to find what fits us. Different strokes for different folks, don't knock someone else for liking or wanting something different than you do.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    "How can you guys love a phone so much that you are willing to accept any garbage it forces on you?"

It seems to me, he is the one who started knocking people for liking or wanting something different. There seems to be double standards to people who favor samsung.
    neiljay6 likes this.
    06-14-2013 10:19 PM
    I just got my S4 yesterday and my enthusiasm is quickly fading.

The sounds are just awful. The droplet sound is driving me nuts. I figured - no problem, Android is known for being customizable, surely I can change it!

But it seems like the only choice is to turn it off (which means no feedback at all when pressing buttons) or terrible, TERRIBLE "nature-inspired" sound.

The Samsung software is the biggest thing holding this phone back. Compared to stock Android on the Nexus it's ugly, bloated... It makes me miss the uncustomizable, but never awkward, iPhone.

If I'm not mistaken the iPhone only gives you one sound option (I could be wrong) on touch tones/screen lock. I really can't believe you are going to hate a device because of a sound that most people disable anyway. I guess everyone has their reasons for deciding to like a device but this just seems silly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    06-14-2013 10:58 PM
    "How can you guys love a phone so much that you are willing to accept any garbage it forces on you?"

It seems to me, he is the one who started knocking people for liking or wanting something different. There seems to be double standards to people who favor samsung.
    I'm not sure if you are implying that I favor Samsung..but if that is the case, I assure you, I am not biased to any phone manufacturer, or OS for that matter. My statement above was meant as a blanket statement to everyone, OP included.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    06-14-2013 11:04 PM

No, what he actually said was that it seems that some people are so in love with their device that they gloss over its inadequacies and then attack someone that asks a question about one of its quirks.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    06-14-2013 11:32 PM
    No, what he actually said was that it seems that some people are so in love with their device that they gloss over its inadequacies and then attack someone that asks a question about one of its quirks.

That never happens around here LMAO
    06-15-2013 09:35 AM
    That never happens around here LMAO
    Wait, was that sarcasm? It's hard to tell through teh internetz.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    madlaw1071 likes this.
    06-15-2013 11:42 AM
    How can you guys love a phone so much that you are willing to accept any garbage it forces on you? Droplet sounds when dialing or selecting an app (or a whole bunch of other functions). How is that OK?
    I've had the phone for over a month and haven't noticed them, of course, I don't like my phone making noise unless I want it to. I've got it set to vibrate and any other noises turned off.
    neiljay6 and frekiluv like this.
    06-15-2013 03:08 PM
    No wonder the world is in constant turmoil.
    If a Dew Drop sound can cause such angst in the OP, and the people responding. :-)

Posted via Android Central App
    06-15-2013 05:52 PM
    Feedback sounds on key press should be turned off by default but phone manufacturers are notorious for implementing things that annoy the general public. Turn it OFF.

... composed by my imaginary construct for you.
    06-15-2013 05:58 PM
    All sounds on the phone are easily replaceable
    Everyone who is having sound problems should download the app Zedge, or download sounds from your PC and save them on your SD Card. You can then change the sound currently on the phone to a new sound you downloaded...not too difficult
    06-15-2013 05:59 PM
    All sounds on the phone are easily replaceable
    Everyone who is having sound problems should download the app Zedge, or download sounds from your PC and save them on your SD Card. You can then change the sound currently on the phone to a new sound you downloaded...not too difficult
    You can't change the sound he's talking about using zedge.

Topgonzo likes this.
    06-15-2013 08:50 PM
    One possible solution is choosing another dialer.
    I use the exdialer. Try this one.
    06-16-2013 12:37 AM
    No, you have other choices. Root your phone and follow this thread http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...em-sounds.html
    06-16-2013 06:05 AM
    How can you guys love a phone so much that you are willing to accept any garbage it forces on you? Droplet sounds when dialing or selecting an app (or a whole bunch of other functions). How is that OK?

I've never cared to participate in the Android vs iOS debate because I think the best answer is "different strokes for different folks" but I'm starting to think that some people find themselves so in love with a phone that they ignore terrible design choices that you can't disable.
    Are you serious? (Unfortunately I'm taking the bait.) I'd rather hear droplets than be forced to use that pointless itunes software or be forced to pay $100 more for more storage or be forced to buy a battery pack (as opposed to an extra battery) when traveling or be forced to look at a puny 4 inch screen. The list goes on. Like you said - different strokes...
    06-16-2013 06:29 AM
    Are you serious? (Unfortunately I'm taking the bait.) I'd rather hear droplets than be forced to use that pointless itunes software or be forced to pay $100 more for more storage or be forced to buy a battery pack (as opposed to an extra battery) when traveling or be forced to look at a puny 4 inch screen. The list goes on. Like you said - different strokes...
    He is serious, and I think you're missing the point.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    06-16-2013 06:41 AM

I've never cared to participate in the Android vs iOS debate because I think the best answer is "different strokes for different folks" but I'm starting to think that some people find themselves so in love with a phone that they ignore terrible design choices that you can't disable.

The only answer for me (aside from exchanging the phone) is to root it. The hardware is beautiful but Samsung really filled this beautiful device with crap.
    Sounds like you messed up. You should have bought a Nexus phone or waited for the upcoming S4 with stock Android. Research future purchases better before handing over your cash. There were plenty of reviews. Or visit a local carrier store and test it out. There's usually a two week window to take the phone back.
    tohio likes this.
    06-16-2013 08:10 AM
    Who says they knew what sound the dialer made when they bought the phone? Or that they knew before buying it was unchangeable? They obviously WANT a noise or feedback. Just not the droplet sound.
    The OP can always take the phone back. Or read/watch reviews before purchasing. The operating manuals have been in this forum almost from Day One.
    06-16-2013 08:15 AM
    Here's my question. When the OP heard the hideous, fingernail on chalkboard like droplet sound when he looked at the phone why didn't he ask the salesman if he could change it. I mqan he obviously thinks that sound is a deal breaker with the S4 so why would he accept it without asking a simple question. No guarantee he would have gotten and answer, let alone the right one, but that at least would generated a question to be researched. The OP wonders why so many people are on his case about this. It's because it is such a silly thing to complain about. He doesn't have to live with the sound he can turn it off. He is really saying I can't operate a phone with out feed back sounds. I can't fathom why he is surprised that he is being ridiculed.

BTW does anyone know how to change the home screen button. That black color is driving me crazy. Why Samsung wouldn't give you a home screen button color choice is beyond me. I'm thinking of taking the phone back. Stupid Samsung
    06-16-2013 10:53 AM
    On an unrelated note, has anyone else realized how tinny sounds are with TouchWiz? My S4's external speaker when running CyanogenMod 10.1 sounded WAY better than it did running stock TouchWiz.

(Mentioned issue is only exclusive to Samsung devices running stock firmware.)
    06-16-2013 12:20 PM
    You can't change the sound he's talking about using zedge.

Is he talking about the drop sound on the lock screen? With the ripple effect?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Exynos via Tapatalk 2...I LOVE THIS PHONE!
    06-16-2013 12:28 PM
64 123