Samsung Galaxy S4 - So my only choices are live with this awful sound theme or disable? or root?

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: So my only choices are live with this awful sound theme or disable? or root?

I've found quite a few things about a phones interface that annoyed me to no means AFTER I bought it. Did I think it would annoy me before I bought it? No. You guys are just making too big of a deal about it. Why do you care what they like their phone to do? Its not like they are saying that the whole phone is obsolete and trash because of this one missing feature. They also never said that they preferred stock, like you stated in your previous post. People come here for advice on a phone, not to be told "sorry, it doesn't do that, you should have just bought such and such." Or "why did you buy it if you knew it would annoy you?" Which leads back to my first point.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

I'm just looking at :
1. post count
2. use of language and emphasis on certain words.
3. Nature of his nit pick.

Perhaps I've been around here too long and am reading too much into this. :-\

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: So my only choices are live with this awful sound theme or disable? or root?

Jennifer if we go by what he posted.. Which is all we can do to gather what he wants... He DID tell us certain things you said he didn't...

They also never said that they preferred stock, like you stated in your previous post.

The Samsung software is the biggest thing holding this phone back. Compared to stock Android on the Nexus it's ugly, bloated... It makes me miss the uncustomizable, but never awkward, iPhone.

He said "compared to stock it's ugly and bloated".. That sounds like he likes stock more (his words).

They obviously WANT a noise or feedback. Just not the droplet sound.

How can you guys love a phone so much that you are willing to accept any garbage it forces on you? Droplet sounds when dialing or selecting an app (or a whole bunch of other functions). How is that OK?

I've never cared to participate in the Android vs iOS debate because I think the best answer is "different strokes for different folks" but I'm starting to think that some people find themselves so in love with a phone that they ignore terrible design choices that you can't disable.

Sounds like he wants to disable it.. And thought he couldn't.. So we showed him how.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

I just got my S4 yesterday and my enthusiasm is quickly fading.

The sounds are just awful. The droplet sound is driving me nuts. I figured - no problem, Android is known for being customizable, surely I can change it!

But it seems like the only choice is to turn it off (which means no feedback at all when pressing buttons) or terrible, TERRIBLE "nature-inspired" sound.

The Samsung software is the biggest thing holding this phone back. Compared to stock Android on the Nexus it's ugly, bloated... It makes me miss the uncustomizable, but never awkward, iPhone.

Download different sounds from the app Zedge and change them in settings... I changed all my sounds.... Explore your phone a bit there is a lot you can do

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Exynos via Tapatalk 2...I LOVE THIS PHONE!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

What is really funny for me is until I read this thread, I thought I had the droplet sound disabled. With the exception of my dialer it is gone. Obviously I don't notice it so much.
But as the OP said, he can either return it, root i order to flash a different ROM as simple rooting won't disable that sound either, or he can return the device. Those are really the only feasible options.
Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

Andrawer

May 31, 2011
Visit site

This has to be a joke. The reason you can't stand a phone is because you can't change the droplet sound it makes when making a selection? Turn the sound off and carry on with your business or ask your self some questions about your priorities in life.
i agree. this was a joke.

Trubbles

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

If something was THAT important to OP, he could've checked it out at the store before buying.

EDIT: Look at his post totals and screen name. Nuff said.

Seriously?

I should have known when I played with the locked down store model that Samsung had locked the sound to that sole theme? Is it not reasonable to think that the sounds would be changeable?

I'm new to this board because I'm new to Android and this looked like "THE PLACE" to discuss all things Android. My screen name is the same alias I've used for a decade of online gaming, sorry it offended you Mr. I'm-holding-a-paintball-gun-in-my-avatar.

I'm not a troll, just somewhat freaked out by the mess that is the stock "TouchWiz" interface on this beautiful device. My only previous experience with Android is on a Nexus 7, and that device has a clean, refined looking interface (stock 4.2). By comparison, "TouchWiz" looks like 5 UI designers all sneezed at the same time. It's a mess and you're crazy if you are so in love with this product that you can't see it.

Anyway I have installed a bunch of apps to get away from TouchWiz (a launcher, for example). I'm afraid to root it quite yet because I don't know how to put it back and I doubt they'd exchange a rooted device if I decide to trade it in for something else.

Thanks to Smooth4Lyfe who actually answered my question... Now to go try that app and see if I can actually change the sounds :)

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site

Hmm. Well everyone should calm down. I mean, we are talking about phones... :)
Anyway, I actually like the little noises if I ever have them on. If I'm on silence I enjoy the silence too.

I hate suggesting alternate apps, but since your problem is pretty specific, I'll suggest: DIaler One from the app store.
You can replace the current S4 dialer with Dialer One. It has no touch tone at first but you can go into settings and have it beep like a regular phone.

I don't use it, but I know it's a good phone replacement app.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Seriously?

I should have known when I played with the locked down store model that Samsung had locked the sound to that sole theme? Is it not reasonable to think that the sounds would be changeable?

I'm new to this board because I'm new to Android and this looked like "THE PLACE" to discuss all things Android. My screen name is the same alias I've used for a decade of online gaming, sorry it offended you Mr. I'm-holding-a-paintball-gun-in-my-avatar.

I'm not a troll, just somewhat freaked out by the mess that is the stock "TouchWiz" interface on this beautiful device. My only previous experience with Android is on a Nexus 7, and that device has a clean, refined looking interface (stock 4.2). By comparison, "TouchWiz" looks like 5 UI designers all sneezed at the same time. It's a mess and you're crazy if you are so in love with this product that you can't see it.

Anyway I have installed a bunch of apps to get away from TouchWiz (a launcher, for example). I'm afraid to root it quite yet because I don't know how to put it back and I doubt they'd exchange a rooted device if I decide to trade it in for something else.

Thanks to Smooth4Lyfe who actually answered my question... Now to go try that app and see if I can actually change the sounds :)

For TouchWiz just replace it with another launcher. That's what I did :).

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site

^ He has an issue with the sounds, which still remain after you put another launcher on the phone.

The sounds are part of a respective app. The phone app, for example, has the dialing "bubble" tone you don't like.
You have to change the app to change the sound.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

If you're unhappy with these sounds and TouchWiz in general (as you said it's ugly and bloated), I'd recommend either (1) rooting the phone and running a stock ROM or (2) returning it and getting a Nexus or Google Edition phone. Good luck in whatever you end up doing! :)

jdoee100

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site

The great thing about the smart phone market is that there are so many choices, so we have more chances to find what fits us. Different strokes for different folks, don't knock someone else for liking or wanting something different than you do.

"How can you guys love a phone so much that you are willing to accept any garbage it forces on you?"

It seems to me, he is the one who started knocking people for liking or wanting something different. There seems to be double standards to people who favor samsung.

Last edited:

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

I just got my S4 yesterday and my enthusiasm is quickly fading.

The sounds are just awful. The droplet sound is driving me nuts. I figured - no problem, Android is known for being customizable, surely I can change it!

But it seems like the only choice is to turn it off (which means no feedback at all when pressing buttons) or terrible, TERRIBLE "nature-inspired" sound.

If I'm not mistaken the iPhone only gives you one sound option (I could be wrong) on touch tones/screen lock. I really can't believe you are going to hate a device because of a sound that most people disable anyway. I guess everyone has their reasons for deciding to like a device but this just seems silly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

"How can you guys love a phone so much that you are willing to accept any garbage it forces on you?"

It seems to me, he is the one who started knocking people for liking or wanting something different. There seems to be double standards to people who favor samsung.

I'm not sure if you are implying that I favor Samsung..but if that is the case, I assure you, I am not biased to any phone manufacturer, or OS for that matter. My statement above was meant as a blanket statement to everyone, OP included.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

No, what he actually said was that it seems that some people are so in love with their device that they gloss over its inadequacies and then attack someone that asks a question about one of its quirks.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

No, what he actually said was that it seems that some people are so in love with their device that they gloss over its inadequacies and then attack someone that asks a question about one of its quirks.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

That never happens around here LMAO

EMY92

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

How can you guys love a phone so much that you are willing to accept any garbage it forces on you? Droplet sounds when dialing or selecting an app (or a whole bunch of other functions). How is that OK?

I've had the phone for over a month and haven't noticed them, of course, I don't like my phone making noise unless I want it to. I've got it set to vibrate and any other noises turned off.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

No wonder the world is in constant turmoil.
If a Dew Drop sound can cause such angst in the OP, and the people responding. :)

Posted via Android Central App

frekiluv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Feedback sounds on key press should be turned off by default but phone manufacturers are notorious for implementing things that annoy the general public. Turn it OFF.

... composed by my imaginary construct for you.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

All sounds on the phone are easily replaceable
Everyone who is having sound problems should download the app Zedge, or download sounds from your PC and save them on your SD Card. You can then change the sound currently on the phone to a new sound you downloaded...not too difficult