06-17-2013 06:46 AM
55 123
tools
    So i gave in and just brought my new Samsung Galaxy S4, at this very moment it is on charge. Is there anything you guys recommend i do first? i've come from the iPhone 4S.
    Anti virus? any apps i should download? any settings i should turn or off? i'm basically looking for some guidance as a new Andriod/S4 user.

Hey...Happy for you and your new toy!!!

I read through part of the thread, and some of the other posters are right, your battery does need to settle in after a few days. The fact that you are using all the features and just tuning and playing with your device is a big reason why your battery is draining so fast. Once you are done, you will notice a big increase in battery life.
    06-13-2013 10:08 PM
    i suggest u turn every single thing on the phone off. If my experience is anything to go by, ull be greeted with 1.5GB's of data usage in 48 hours for simply having your phone on idle.

Android OS is horrible for this simple fact alone. Chugs more data for no reason than garry busey does alcohol.
    Seriously, if your phone is using this much data in 2 weeks, never mind 2 days, there is something horribly wrong with your phone or you have some Malware/Bot app sending data to china.
    I use my S4 all day every day, I don't remember to shut down things in task manager but maybe once a day. I have an old AT&T 2.5GB data plan and have been watching Youtube, messing with my phone constantly and still haven't hit 2GB for the entire billing cycle.
    06-13-2013 11:34 PM
    Congrats! Enable developer settings and turn off the three animations. Will make the phone a bit faster. H9pefully you turned off your iMessage lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app
    Why does everyone keep saying this " I hope you turned off iMessage"
    I didn't turn it off, in fact, I still have my iMessage enabled so I can get those on my mac. I message didn't effect me getting messages from all my iPhone friends at All.

I didn't turn off any animations, but I did turn off S voice from being on the Home button. I just added the app to menu bar instead.
    The lag is so minimal is hardly worth "tweaking" every little setting in the phone for a .002 second gain.

Battery life will be much better when you get done setting everything up and don't have 6 hours of solid screen time going. S4 battery outperforms the iPhone 5 I had.
    I have my auto brightness off. Set on Standard picture mode, auto tonal correction OFF and Brightness at 100% ALL the time and I make it ALL day ever day with no charge.
    I don't even own a car charger. Don't need one. (no 2nd battery either)

edit:
    also I don't use ANY power saving crap.
    Some people on here have told you to disable everything on your phone that makes it a phone.
    I didn't disable anything. Unless you call throwing all of AT&T junk in the garbage and uninstalling any bloatware that it let me uninstall.
    (well. I did turn off the Eye feature. it sucks anyways.) never worked to begin with.
    06-13-2013 11:43 PM
    Congrats on the new phone! Make sure to check out the official Android Central app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oidcentral.app

:-)

Posted via Android Central App
    Patrick Schroedl likes this.
    06-13-2013 11:55 PM
    I forget the exact way, I believe you go to about device in settings, to the build number, and I think you tap the build number seven times... I could be wrong though.. Then an extra option shows up under more options in settings called developer options. There are three animations in the options that you can shut off and it speeds up the phone easy to find on the I terne6, just search s4 developer options lol

Just did this... hopefully i notice the difference. ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    06-14-2013 12:19 AM
    Just did this... hopefully i notice the difference. ...

Doing exactly that makes a big difference. Seriously, I keep hearing about lag on the S4, but after doing this, there is none. Maybe it is just me.

06-14-2013 12:23 AM
    Congrats! Enable developer settings and turn off the three animations. Will make the phone a bit faster. H9pefully you turned off your iMessage lol

I have the HTC ONE and its shameful that you would have to do these things to get rid of lag..smh
    06-14-2013 02:13 AM
    I have the HTC ONE and its shameful that you would have to do these things to get rid of lag..smh
    Honestly, I don't see much shame. Guess it's just you. :/
    06-14-2013 02:19 AM
    I feel sorry for this guy..The S4 may just well ruin the experience for this first time andriod user. Dave..From a none fanboy perspective it will do you justice before you decide to go back to IOS to try out the HTC one or the Optimus Pro if you are with ATT. Android is not an OS that is laggy, buggy, glitchy and slow as the S4 makes it seem and battery life should be at least 20% better than iphone5. Try another phone if this one doesn't seem right because based on my past 3 years of experience with Samsung I know it aint right.
    06-14-2013 02:21 AM
    Also,

Make sure you go with GO Sms application for you SMS needs. The Samsung SMS experience is horrendous at best.
    06-14-2013 02:23 AM
    Honestly, I don't see much shame. Guess it's just you. :/
    Nope..Many think that in 2013 with processor powerful enough to run game systems and laptops "lag" should be a think of the past. Samsung should spend millions more in fine tuning the user experience instead of putting out half baked products and spending billions in marketing.
    06-14-2013 02:29 AM
    Nope..Many think that in 2013 with processor powerful enough to run game systems and laptops "lag" should be a think of the past. Samsung should spend millions more in fine tuning the user experience instead of putting out half baked products and spending billions in marketing.
    When people say lag especially among tech enthusiasts, they could be talking about tiny frame drops and that annoy them, not like real horrible lag where the phone isn't usable. He seems to be happy with the phone, why is it so hard for you? You are just like nexus fans, every single freaking article related to stock android "NEXUS OR GTFO". WE GET IT, you like the htc one, that's fantastic but dont push it down are throats, i think he can make a choice by himselves.

sddunbar, hdgamer and msndrstood like this.
    06-14-2013 02:49 AM
    I feel sorry for this guy..The S4 may just well ruin the experience for this first time andriod user. Dave..From a none fanboy perspective it will do you justice before you decide to go back to IOS to try out the HTC one or the Optimus Pro if you are with ATT. Android is not an OS that is laggy, buggy, glitchy and slow as the S4 makes it seem and battery life should be at least 20% better than iphone5. Try another phone if this one doesn't seem right because based on my past 3 years of experience with Samsung I know it aint right.
    No need to feel sorry for me i'm loving the S4 :-) getting use to its many features and settings, its a brilliant learning curve. Only thing i've noticed is the battery but like a few of the others have said its got to go through a couple of cycles and i have been using the screen for a while. I think its personal choice but i liked the look of the S4 and the features it has.
    06-14-2013 03:40 AM
    When people say lag especially among tech enthusiasts, they could be talking about tiny frame drops and that annoy them, not like real horrible lag where the phone isn't usable. He seems to be happy with the phone, why is it so hard for you? You are just like nexus fans, every single freaking article related to stock android "NEXUS OR GTFO". WE GET IT, you like the htc one, that's fantastic but dont push it down are throats, i think he can make a choice by himselves.

Lag is Lag ...period..Ever tried to use the horrendous Samsung SMS app? It is the laggiest most pitiful aspect of the phone. I was he!! bent on leaving android before I tried out the ONE..Now I know that Android is 3 times better than what Sammy makes it out to be with their insistence on bloating a phone up to where just the OS alone takes up 1.2 Gigs of ram. Just flat out pathetic!
    06-14-2013 03:42 AM
    Hey...Happy for you and your new toy!!!

I read through part of the thread, and some of the other posters are right, your battery does need to settle in after a few days. The fact that you are using all the features and just tuning and playing with your device is a big reason why your battery is draining so fast. Once you are done, you will notice a big increase in battery life.
    Thank you for the info :-) It's not been too bad, it survived from about 5pm till about 12am last night and then (when i turned it back on this morning) from around 8am until about 10:30am (UK time) all with around 4h and 20mins according to the display information under settings. I've now had to put it on charge.
    06-14-2013 04:49 AM
    Doing exactly that makes a big difference. Seriously, I keep hearing about lag on the S4, but after doing this, there is none. Maybe it is just me.

Not just you that's for sure. I noticed a huge difference. Its easy enough to do so I say why not? Even if it's just a small improvement, it's still an improvement nonetheless

06-14-2013 07:49 AM
    Enable developer settings and turn off the three animations.
    Can I ask where exactly this is?
    I have searched my settings tabs and I haven't been able to locate the three animations setting.

Thanks
    06-14-2013 08:00 AM
    I have searched my settings tabs and I haven't been able to locate the three animations setting.

Thanks
    I posted previously on the thread how to do it I believe page 1 or 2

06-14-2013 08:17 AM

Thanks
    Top of page two just checked lol

06-14-2013 08:18 AM
    Top of page two just checked lol

"Then an extra option shows up under more options in settings called developer options. "

When I go to Settings | More | there is no Developer Options there.

I have a Verizon version that is not rooted could that be the problem?

Thanks
    06-14-2013 08:59 AM

Are you referring to the window, transition, and animator animations? If so, what exactly do these do?
    06-14-2013 09:06 AM
    "Then an extra option shows up under more options in settings called developer options. "

When I go to Settings | More | there is no Developer Options there.

I have a Verizon version that is not rooted could that be the problem?

Thanks
    I'm not quite sure, I tapped seven times and it pro. Pted that it had been enabled. So I can't say if verizon versions are different. And no you don't need to root to get them.

06-14-2013 09:15 AM
    You must have just had bad luck with devices then. I had the GS2,GS3 and now the GS4 and they are by far the best experience on any mobile device Android or otherwise. I tried the ONE due to all of the Android Central hype of the device and while it was really nice and a beautifully designed device it's just not quite there. We have 2 S4's in our household both of which run flawlessly with full animations/sensors/features in use. 4 of my friends also have S4's and none of them have had any issues with the "lag". I am not saying it doesn't exist but it is greatly exaggerated. The S4 is a beast of a device and any iOS convert should have a great experience with it.
    06-14-2013 09:44 AM
    Hey you do get system updates after rooting but it's never recommended since you could mess your phone up and lots of people use lots of ways to install OTA updates after rooting their phones,so better avoid it unless you are aware of what you are doing
    06-14-2013 07:31 PM
    Dont go for iroot...because it will be vurnable to virus and will also void your guarantee
    06-15-2013 02:00 AM
55 123