06-17-2013 02:10 PM
42 12
tools
    Hi All,
    I have an old HTC Evo 4g and am due for an upgrade. I have researched and narrowed my choices down to these 3 phones. I really cannot decide, as I like/dislike features on each. I am looking for anyone with hands on experience. The issues I am looking for more info on are regarding 1) battery life, 2) smoothness when going through screens and apps, and 3) speed on web browsing. Is this last one more the carrier than the phone? I use the basics - phone calls, some texting, and a few games. Like to tinker to some degree, but don't want an encyclopedia of instructions to get around on the phone. Any input would be helpful. Thanks!
    06-14-2013 07:36 AM
    Ask this in google and you will got a lot of answer.

For me it is S4.
    06-14-2013 08:11 AM
    1. Battery life
    Tests have reported that battery life is about equal between S4 and One (S4 has a bigger battery but also a bigger screen and more battery-draining bloatware). Note 2 has better reported battery life.

2. Smoothness
    No contest, One. Even after updates, many S4 owners still report lag. Same with the Note 2.

3. Browsing speed
    This depends on your WiFi/cellular connection.

Overall, I'd say HTC One, but most people will probably say S4 considering you posted this in the S4 forum.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Aquila likes this.
    06-14-2013 08:40 AM
    Yes, thanks. Was thinking maybe someone had the One and came to the S4 would comment or also looked at these 3 phones and saw something in particular that swayed them. So far, in my research and hands on time in the store, I basically have concluded about the same as you, One for smoothness and user experience, N2 for battery and that beautiful big screen, and 4 for the most features and up to date phone, which as rarely as I change out phones is a plus. I guess my next question would have to do with screen size. The One just seems a little small compared to Samsung. If someone has used both S4 and One, do you find the screen size on the One limiting compared to the S4?
    06-14-2013 08:53 AM
    Since you asked, I got the S4 because of the screen size. Screen is beautiful and having blacks be really black is pretty amazing to me. I can even have it as an alarm clock beside me in bed and it won't bother you because, like I said, blacks are real black. 5" -- man, I won't be able to go to a lower screen size ever again.

User interface: I have Nova Launcher on my phone. Fast, zippy, gets the job done.
    People complain about certain software and lag and stuff... well, I don't get that anymore. It's funny cause you can throw on another launcher and you get the user experience of a completely different phone.
    Oh if you put on another launcher, you get the best of both worlds. You get the features (like being able to pull down notifications and changing brightness, accessing apps quickly, etc) and you a super fast phone..

Camera: I also wanted better pics with better detail. S4 brings that.
    Even at night, the S4's 13mp camera brings better detail if you ever go back into photoshop and mess around.
    For quick night shots, the One does win. For quick day shots, the S4 wins. (Generally...)

Speakers: If you put a good case on this phone, you can get the sound to reverberate. Otherwise I use my monoprice headphones and I get great quality.

For me, HTC's build "sexiness" didn't matter either. I have a case on my S4 and it looks good to me.
    So I got the S4 - loving it so far.
    06-14-2013 09:23 AM
    I own the S4 but spent some time with the One also.
    The one is smoother and does feel "more expensive" Not better in my hands.. just more expensive.
    The UI is very smooth but you don't get much. it's pretty basic.

The S4 is plastic so if that bothers you forget it. Battery life AMAZING. Honestly way better then the ONE i tested.
    It's a 5" screen but so slim and light... Feels smaller then the ONE in my hands

You could get a great deal on the HTC..Most carries are lowering the price so you have that to consider.

If your a heavy gamer.. HTC has more internal storage. Unless your getting the 32GB S4. But soon an update will let us put apps on SD cards so that could help

Speakers HTC by far. If you like to listen to music, videos or games without headphones.. then the ONE dominates this.

Screen.. I LOVE the screen on the S4... it looks alive.. Whites look better on the ONE but blacks better on the S4. The S4 also offers Gorilla Glass 3. Something to think about if your not going to put a screen protector.

Features S4 all the way (Air gesture, Air View, Smart View, etc).

If you like accessories the S4.. very well supported now.

Camera HTC one for low light and S4 for everything else i would say.

Both phone are great and obviously very successful in their own ways but if i was you i would get the S4. You get more for your $$ i guess IMO
    orion575 likes this.
    06-14-2013 09:33 AM
    I originally chose the One. Was a great phone but I had issues with build quality, dead pixels, backlight bleeding, capacitive buttons not working, and other stuff.. I had 2 of them and decided I wasnt going for a third. I went with the S4 and I cant say I miss the One much. I really miss the front speakers most of all as it is annoying having to cup my hand around the back to make sound come toward me. I also miss the gorgeous build that will still look up to par a couple years from now as to where the S4 is already kinda dated looking..

overall if u want looks go for the One (if u can find a good one). If you want easy to use and better features and camera go with the S4.
    06-14-2013 10:11 AM
    I've used the Notes (original and II) for a year, the HTC one for 3 weeks and now have the S4.
    Note II = fantastic phone...you just have to accustom yourself to the size...obviously. I really like it. Smooth..mine was rooted w/various ROMS. I don't really remember ever thinking this thing lags. However I am glad my current S4 is still an above average screen and is much lighter for pocketing.

HTC ONE = as many agree...the smoothest. I liked the HTC ONE ALOT but just couldn't get adjusted to the buttons and how the aluminum edge/etc felt in my hand...even w/case. I personally like the blinkfeed screen (my S4 screens now replicate the HTC ONE screen layouts...w/flipboard )....also really liked the "productivity lock screen". IF you DECIDE on the HTC ONE, I recommend the version direct from HTC...it has no bloatware and unmonitored tethering works out of the box.

S4 = went w/this because of the lightness (yes, I can tell the difference) and 5" screen and the fact I can remove the battery if I happen to keep this phone more than a year and resale value. I happen to be in the minority I guess in that I like the plastic nature of the Galaxy's versus aluminum..more flexible, lighter, and strong.
    Surprisingly the S4 is the least smooth of these 3 phones "I" have had...but I think it will be resolved eventually and I'm getting used to it. Love the screen.
    I really can't tell much of a difference between 4.2.2 and HTC One 4.1.2..except the lock screen and like I said, I liked the One's productivity lock screen.

Very happy w/S4.
    06-14-2013 10:42 AM
    IF you DECIDE on the HTC ONE, I recommend the version direct from Samsung...it has no bloatware and unmonitored tethering works out of the box.
    You mean Google right?

Andrawer and Aquila like this.
    06-14-2013 11:25 AM
    I really can't tell much of a difference between 4.2.2 and HTC One 4.2.1(?)..except the lock screen and like I said, I liked the One's productivity lock screen.
    HTC One is on 4.1.2, not 4.2.1.

Andrawer likes this.
    06-14-2013 11:26 AM
    I've used the Notes (original and II) for a year, the HTC one for 3 weeks and now have the S4.
    Note II = fantastic phone...you just have to accustom yourself to the size...obviously. I really like it. Smooth..mine was rooted w/various ROMS. I don't really remember ever thinking this thing lags. However I am glad my current S4 is still an above average screen and is much lighter for pocketing.

HTC ONE = as many agree...the smoothest. I liked the HTC ONE ALOT but just couldn't get adjusted to the buttons and how the aluminum edge/etc felt in my hand...even w/case. I personally like the blinkfeed screen (my S4 screens now replicate the HTC ONE screen layouts...w/flipboard )....also really liked the "productivity lock screen". IF you DECIDE on the HTC ONE, I recommend the version direct from Samsung...it has no bloatware and unmonitored tethering works out of the box.

S4 = went w/this because of the lightness (yes, I can tell the difference) and 5" screen and the fact I can remove the battery if I happen to keep this phone more than a year and resale value. I happen to be in the minority I guess in that I like the plastic nature of the Galaxy's versus aluminum..more flexible, lighter, and strong.
    Surprisingly the S4 is the least smooth of these 3 phones "I" have had...but I think it will be resolved eventually and I'm getting used to it. Love the screen.
    I really can't tell much of a difference between 4.2.2 and HTC One 4.2.1(?)..except the lock screen and like I said, I liked the One's productivity lock screen.

Very happy w/S4.
    I started with the Note2 and loved everything about it except it just seemed too big. So I ordered an S4. Delivery was delayed, and I started getting used to the size of the Note2, so I cancelled the order for the S4.
    Another couple weeks went by so I ordered the S4 again. Played with it 3 days, then went back to the Note2. It felt almost refreshing. The S4 somehow now felt too small.

- - - Updated - - -

HTC ONE = as many agree...the smoothest. I liked the HTC ONE ALOT but just couldn't get adjusted to the buttons and how the aluminum edge/etc felt in my hand...even w/case. I personally like the blinkfeed screen (my S4 screens now replicate the HTC ONE screen layouts...w/flipboard )....also really liked the "productivity lock screen". IF you DECIDE on the HTC ONE, I recommend the version direct from Samsung...it has no bloatware and unmonitored tethering works out of the box.

Very happy w/S4.
    I started with the Note2 and loved everything about it except it just seemed too big. So I ordered an S4. Delivery was delayed, and I started getting used to the size of the Note2, so I cancelled the order for the S4.
    Another couple weeks went by so I ordered the S4 again. Played with it 3 days, then went back to the Note2. It felt almost refreshing. The S4 somehow now felt too small.
    msndrstood likes this.
    06-14-2013 11:41 AM
    Any one of those phones would be a good option. If u get the note 2 make sure u can deal with the size of it first. If ur a one handed user it doesn't fit so well with most ppl. I've had all three phones I returned the s4 still have the one and note 2.

1. Battery life, my opinion. In morder from hornear to lowest battery life time. One > note 2 > s4. All are good tho.

2. Lag. Least to most lag. One > note 2 and s4 are equal imo. There's a lot of reviews about s4 lag.

3. Over all speed of say they are on all equal grounds.

I got rid of the s4 because there was not wow factor from the s3 to the s4 and I still experience some lag. The s4 is more file type comparable. The note 2 is a great device but I had some issues with it and it's a big device. The one just fits into all my need categories better than the others. Beats audio on the one is all better than previous HTC models. Boomsounds is nice. I wish it has some of the little feature of Samsung like a home button in the browser. Ability to play any file type. And a revolving home screen.

Ull be happy with any one. Just get the one that u keep thinking about.

from what ever phone I feel like using today.
    06-14-2013 11:52 AM
    1. Battery life
    Tests have reported that battery life is about equal between S4 and One (S4 has a bigger battery but also a bigger screen and more battery-draining bloatware). Note 2 has better reported battery life.

2. Smoothness
    No contest, One. Even after updates, many S4 owners still report lag. Same with the Note 2.

3. Browsing speed
    This depends on your WiFi/cellular connection.

Overall, I'd say HTC One, but most people will probably say S4 considering you posted this in the S4 forum.

I had both of them and battery life is definitely not the same, the battery on S4 lives longer that was one of the reasons I kept an S4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    weblou likes this.
    06-14-2013 12:30 PM
    I have to agree. My S4 goes way longer then my friends HTC one.. even when we traded for the day i noticed that the battery life on the HTC one in not that great..
    it's good but not compared to the S4
    madlaw1071 likes this.
    06-14-2013 12:58 PM
    Any one of those phones would be a good option. If u get the note 2 make sure u can deal with the size of it first. If ur a one handed user it doesn't fit so well with most ppl. I've had all three phones I returned the s4 still have the one and note 2.

1. Battery life, my opinion. In morder from hornear to lowest battery life time. One > note 2 > s4. All are good tho.

2. Lag. Least to most lag. One > note 2 and s4 are equal imo. There's a lot of reviews about s4 lag.

3. Over all speed of say they are on all equal grounds.

I got rid of the s4 because there was not wow factor from the s3 to the s4 and I still experience some lag. The s4 is more file type comparable. The note 2 is a great device but I had some issues with it and it's a big device. The one just fits into all my need categories better than the others. Beats audio on the one is all better than previous HTC models. Boomsounds is nice. I wish it has some of the little feature of Samsung like a home button in the browser. Ability to play any file type. And a revolving home screen.

Ull be happy with any one. Just get the one that u keep thinking about.

LOL

06-14-2013 01:33 PM
    LOL

?

06-14-2013 03:53 PM
    I had both of them and battery life is definitely not the same, the battery on S4 lives longer that was one of the reasons I kept an S4

Really? I've read reports saying the opposite. So I was trying to make an unbiased balance.

06-14-2013 04:40 PM
    Really? I've read reports saying the opposite. So I was trying to make an unbiased balance.

Yea same for me. When comparing with a friends HTC one and even using it for a day. I got much better battery on my S4.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    orion575 likes this.
    06-14-2013 05:09 PM
    I've had all three as well. Kept the S4. The note 2 was nice but way too big. The ONE was a very nice device but in the end I just couldn't get decent pictures from the 4mp camera. The ultra pixel helped to an extent but in the end the photos lacked detail. It's battery life was okay but not as good as the s4 and the note 2 has the best battery life of the 3. I loved the look of the ONE but it wasn't as comfortable to use as the s4 and as much as AMOLED gets hated on I love it. That being said the ONE has a beautiful display and is a nice device but for me the s4 was the best option.

Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    homestead likes this.
    06-14-2013 05:26 PM

So what? I have both as well. And I say you're definitely wrong. I can push 6+ screen on time on both. How long is your screen on time? In fact, for web browsing on white web pages, the One holds up better. Even after a month, it's a difficult call.
    06-14-2013 07:56 PM
    ?

Samsung fanboy. Someone mentioned something that was better on the HTC One than S4.

It's not the first time they've done it.
    06-14-2013 08:31 PM
    Samsung fanboy. Someone mentioned something that was better on the HTC One than S4.

It's not the first time they've done it.
    Dude I have no idea what ur talking about. Explain a bit more.

06-14-2013 09:03 PM
    Hi OP here,
    I ended up with the One. I really was having trouble making up my mind, hence the question, but when Amazon had a 1 day special for $99.00 for the One, I let price be the deciding factor. Went to Best Buy and they price matched the Amazon deal. Have been playing with it for a few hours now and really like it so far. Doesn't have the screen size and bright bold colors of the G4 and Note, but the UI is really nice so far. Bonus, the music sounds GREAT on the One, something I didn't get to really test in the store. So far, happy overall!
    06-14-2013 09:05 PM
    Hi OP here,
    I ended up with the One. I really was having trouble making up my mind, hence the question, but when Amazon had a 1 day special for $99.00 for the One, I let price be the deciding factor. Went to Best Buy and they price matched the Amazon deal. Have been playing with it for a few hours now and really like it so far. Doesn't have the screen size and bright bold colors of the G4 and Note, but the UI is really nice so far. Bonus, the music sounds GREAT on the One, something I didn't get to really test in the store. So far, happy overall!
    Well I hope you enjoy it. The music is what persuaded me on making it my daily driver.

Patrick Schroedl likes this.
    06-14-2013 09:17 PM
    So what? I have both as well. And I say you're definitely wrong. I can push 6+ screen on time on both. How long is your screen on time? In fact, for web browsing on white web pages, the One holds up better. Even after a month, it's a difficult call.
    I couldn't get more then 4 hours screen on time on my One but on my S4 I'm getting around 6 hours of heavy use easily !

06-14-2013 10:19 PM
42 12