Samsung Promises The 'Kill Switch'

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry, I thought part of my job description was to try to moderate threads, which involves posting in them when things begin to go downhill. When my post is publically questioned, that makes my moderating practices publically discussed. Now I've asked twice now that if anyone has a question regarding my post to private message me. Is that really such a bad thing here? My only mistake was to forget to include that posts had been deleted and the title changed. I am sorry. But this discussion needs to end here. Again I will ask that should you want to continue this discussion, please private message me. It really isn't that big of a deal. My post has been edited to include that posts were deleted.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

I concur.

If you don't get a sufficient answer to your PM from ANY moderator feel free to PM me.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
That isn't how apples setup works at all. If the phone is locked by its owner using find my iPhone, it cannot be unlocked or activated unless the original owner's apple ID is entered. (Which means the owner would have to have possession of it to reactivate it) Apples software makes it impossible for a stolen phone to be used again unless the owner puts in that information.

Samsung's system is better as evidenced by the Prosecutors disdain for Apple's system. As long as anyone possessing the Apple ID can unlock the phone it is vulnerable. Suppose the stolen phone was in a purse and the owner kept her Apple ID written down in a note book or a scrap of paper. With the Samsung system the phone would be disabled and only Samsung could activate it again. Clearly a superior system to Apple's. And the Prosecutor agrees with me.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Samsung's system is better as evidenced by the Prosecutors disdain for Apple's system. As long as anyone possessing the Apple ID can unlock the phone it is vulnerable. Suppose the stolen phone was in a purse and the owner kept her Apple ID written down in a note book or a scrap of paper. With the Samsung system the phone would be disabled and only Samsung could activate it again. Clearly a superior system to Apple's. And the Prosecutor agrees with me.

Again, you don't know the system apple is using. You would need the apple ID and the password. Just the apple ID wouldn't do it.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Because I think Samsung's software will deactivate the phone so it can't be used even with a new sim card or a password. Probably need to contact Samsung after the deactivation to get it reactivated. Apple's plan doesn't really deactivate the phone since it can be unlocked by the owner with a password. I would say it just locks it. I don't think you would have to contact Apple to activate your phone if you recovered it. I'm guessing that the Lookout or AGV can't deactivate the phone. Is that true?

Hi, Tohio. Since I have happily not lost my phone ;) and not tried Lookout's lock feature; and (b) am not entirely sure what the new Kill Switch idea entails, I'm not sure I can say for certain. If as indicated the deactivation planned by Samsung goes further than a lockout, then you are right, I think. Lookout does give you the option to lock the phone, but a password unlocks it. However, more importantly, it gives you the option to wipe all data from the phone and the card remotely. That impressed me right there.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi, Tohio. Since I have happily not lost my phone ;) and not tried Lookout's lock feature; and (b) am not entirely sure what the new Kill Switch idea entails, I'm not sure I can say for certain. If as indicated the deactivation planned by Samsung goes further than a lockout, then you are right, I think. Lookout does give you the option to lock the phone, but a password unlocks it. However, more importantly, it gives you the option to wipe all data from the phone and the card remotely. That impressed me right there.

I agree, wiping data form the phone is the first priority. But I think the Prosecutor and Samsung envision making the phone basically worthless once it is stolen. In other words why steal a phone that can not be used. Sort of like stealing a car stereo that has the face plate removed. I think that is the best way to stem the theft of smart phones is to turn them into bricks once they are stolen. Passwords and IDs are a much weaker system. Here's hoping your (and my) phone never get stolen.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Again, you don't know the system apple is using. You would need the apple ID and the password. Just the apple ID wouldn't do it.

OK so the lady has her Apple ID and her password written down somewhere in her purse. Still the same problem. It is still a functioning phone once those two items are entered. You seriously can't think the Apple system is better than a complete deactivation by the manufacturer upon theft of the phone. If you do take it up with the Prosecutor not me.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
OK so the lady has her Apple ID and her password written down somewhere in her purse. Still the same problem. It is still a functioning phone once those two items are entered. You seriously can't think the Apple system is better than a complete deactivation by the manufacturer upon theft of the phone. If you do take it up with the Prosecutor not me.

The article states that the owner has control also. I think that we need to see these features first before we judge. Knowing how these two are, they will copy each other anyways.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't have much to add here other than we will need to wait and see but I don't personally think that requiring the original iTunes (or Google account for that matter ) is sufficient to unlock a device wiped and reported as stolen because such things are hacked all the time. You should have to contact ape or Samsung directly (possibly via the carrier) and use multiple forms of authentication to regain access to the device.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't have much to add here other than we will need to wait and see but I don't personally think that requiring the original iTunes (or Google account for that matter ) is sufficient to unlock a device wiped and reported as stolen because such things are hacked all the time. You should have to contact ape or Samsung directly (possibly via the carrier) and use multiple forms of authentication to regain access to the device.

Absolutely correct.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Now you're just reaching. Admit you were wrong and didn't know anything about how apples system worked.

frekiluv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the idea that a manufacturer or carrier can lock my phone is idiotic. Whos to say they wont throw in a clause that if you change phones the device will be disabled until a reactivation/unlock fee is paid. I did not lease my phone; I purchased it. It is bad enough that the companies willing give my information out. I dont want my phone deactivated because I think differently or convey a viewpoint that someone might overreact to.

... Your Mummy is a Zombie.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I think the idea that a manufacturer or carrier can lock my phone is idiotic. Whos to say they wont throw in a clause that if you change phones the device will be disabled until a reactivation/unlock fee is paid. I did not lease my phone; I purchased it. It is bad enough that the companies willing give my information out. I dont want my phone deactivated because I think differently or convey a viewpoint that someone might overreact to.

What we are discussing is that if you the owner report the phone as stolen. Its just an extension of what they can do now with IMEI blacklisting except now the device can not even be powered on effectively making it a brick and if this was standard practice there would be little incentive to steal phones because they would be worthless very shortly.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

I see this kind of thing all the time. People dont know their user and passwords but have them written down in their wallets.

frekiluv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
What we are discussing is that if you the owner report the phone as stolen. Its just an extension of what they can do now with IMEI blacklisting except now the device can not even be powered on effectively making it a brick and if this was standard practice there would be little incentive to steal phones because they would be worthless very shortly.

A better solution is to be aware of your surroundings, font leave your stuff lying around, and be descrete with your device. If is unknown you have it then it is less likely yo be stolen.

frekiluv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
A moderator should never have to explain themselves. As a mod on a reef forum I know how you feel. Thank you for your hard work keeping the site running. You all do a great job.

Everyone given authority should have to explain themselves when asked a legitament question; if people do not know the issues then they cant make an informed decision on what is acceptable behavior and what is not. That is why PMs are allowed so an explanation is available without everyone else chiming in with their misinformed opinions. If you, as a Moderator, thinks your opinion is superior to others and the end all solution then you are nothing but a despot and/or a Network Administrator.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Everyone given authority should have to explain themselves when asked a legitament question; if people do not know the issues then they cant make an informed decision on what is acceptable behavior and what is not. That is why PMs are allowed so an explanation is available without everyone else chiming in with their misinformed opinions. If you, as a Moderator, thinks your opinion is superior to others and the end all solution then you are nothing but a despot and/or a Network Administrator.

That's why, please note, I said I should not have to publically explain myself, but will do so through a PM. That being said, lets get the whole moderating discussion off of the board. I am just as quilty of pursing this conversation as any of you, but it's time we just continue on with the discussion of the killswitch.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes