06-17-2013 06:04 PM
51 123
tools
    06-14-2013 08:58 PM
    Well... thank you Samsung.

Sent from Galaxy-Note... The 2nd One!
    06-14-2013 10:50 PM
    Come on guys, there should be no ruckus to be found. This is an android site after all, lets rejoice in the leaps and bounds of progress that is being made with the phone manufacturers. This is great news for Samsung devices, and will hopefully make it's way to other android devices in the very near future.

***edit: there have been posts removed from this thread for being disruptive and trolling.***
    smooth4lyfe, frekiluv and satannik like this.
    06-15-2013 12:23 AM
    Great! This is a feature I have always wanted
    Aquila likes this.
    06-15-2013 01:40 AM
    How am I suppose to upgrade my phone if I cannot use the one "found" at the local pub or the one "borrowed" from the old lady at the store?

... composed by my imaginary construct for you.
    tohio likes this.
    06-15-2013 02:16 AM
    Come on guys, there should be no ruckus to be found. This is an android site after all, lets rejoice in the leaps and bounds of progress that is being made with the phone manufacturers. This is great news for Samsung devices, and will hopefully make it's way to other android devices in the very near future.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    Was there even a hint of a ruckus?

Posted via Android Central App
    Coffeeman, tohio, frekiluv and 1 others like this.
    06-15-2013 04:58 AM
    I should never have to discuss my moderating practices publically. If you would also like to send me a pm, I can discuss it with you there.
    Aquila likes this.
    06-15-2013 08:49 AM
    Saw this or something similar earlier in the week...but if you subscribe to Lookout or AVG....how is this materially different? Lookout for instance offers to wipe the phone AND the card remotely.
    06-16-2013 01:29 PM
    Saw this or something similar earlier in the week...but if you subscribe to Lookout or AVG....how is this materially different? Lookout for instance offers to wipe the phone AND the card remotely.
    Because I think Samsung's software will deactivate the phone so it can't be used even with a new sim card or a password. Probably need to contact Samsung after the deactivation to get it reactivated. Apple's plan doesn't really deactivate the phone since it can be unlocked by the owner with a password. I would say it just locks it. I don't think you would have to contact Apple to activate your phone if you recovered it. I'm guessing that the Lookout or AGV can't deactivate the phone. Is that true?
    06-16-2013 02:36 PM
    Was there even a hint of a ruckus?

Posted via Android Central App
    I didn't get her post either, did she delete it?

I agree with the points made (in the video), carriers are so greedy that they will allow thieves to continue using devices.

Combining Dummy & Super Phones, I've owned 40+ devices and never lost or had one stolen. I'm hoping this continues...
    06-16-2013 02:45 PM
    I should never have to discuss my moderating practices publically. If you would also like to send me a pm, I can discuss it with you there.
    A moderator should never have to explain themselves. As a mod on a reef forum I know how you feel. Thank you for your hard work keeping the site running. You all do a great job.
    06-16-2013 02:51 PM
    Great feature, especially for enterprise operations. This and Knox both seem to be going in the right direction that concept.
    06-16-2013 05:05 PM
    Great feature, especially for enterprise operations. This and Knox both seem to be going in the right direction that concept.
    Yes except ideally it should be a part of the core OS
    06-16-2013 05:24 PM
    I didn't get her post either, did she delete it?
    Again I ask, if any one has any questions regarding my moderating decisions, please, send me a private message and I will discuss it with you there.
    06-16-2013 05:34 PM
    Yes except ideally it should be a part of the core OS
    Can't be part of the OS, needs to be beyond that. At a firmware level to be truly effective. It is why lojack works so well.
    06-16-2013 06:13 PM
    A moderator should never have to explain themselves. As a mod on a reef forum I know how you feel. Thank you for your hard work keeping the site running. You all do a great job.
    If the mod doesn't want to explain her(or his) actions, then (s)he shouldn't make public comments about those actions.
    Andrawer and Not Quite Right like this.
    06-16-2013 08:20 PM
    Anyone seen my stapler? Can't we all get along??

And to stay on topic, I'd like to see this "kill switch" in action but I wonder about when/if you buy a device from say Swappa or eBay.....if the seller can brick your phone to be an *** or to burn you for the cash.
    06-16-2013 08:25 PM
    Anyone seen my stapler? Can't we all get along??

And to stay on topic, I'd like to see this "kill switch" in action but I wonder about when/if you buy a device from say Swappa or eBay.....if the seller can brick your phone to be an *** or to burn you for the cash.
    Good question.

Transmitted through spacetime.
    06-16-2013 09:33 PM
    If the mod doesn't want to explain her(or his) actions, then (s)he shouldn't make public comments about those actions.
    I'm sorry, I thought part of my job description was to try to moderate threads, which involves posting in them when things begin to go downhill. When my post is publically questioned, that makes my moderating practices publically discussed. Now I've asked twice now that if anyone has a question regarding my post to private message me. Is that really such a bad thing here? My only mistake was to forget to include that posts had been deleted and the title changed. I am sorry. But this discussion needs to end here. Again I will ask that should you want to continue this discussion, please private message me. It really isn't that big of a deal. My post has been edited to include that posts were deleted.

frekiluv likes this.
    06-16-2013 10:15 PM
    Because I think Samsung's software will deactivate the phone so it can't be used even with a new sim card or a password. Probably need to contact Samsung after the deactivation to get it reactivated. Apple's plan doesn't really deactivate the phone since it can be unlocked by the owner with a password. I would say it just locks it. I don't think you would have to contact Apple to activate your phone if you recovered it. I'm guessing that the Lookout or AGV can't deactivate the phone. Is that true?
    That isn't how apples setup works at all. If the phone is locked by its owner using find my iPhone, it cannot be unlocked or activated unless the original owner's apple ID is entered. (Which means the owner would have to have possession of it to reactivate it) Apples software makes it impossible for a stolen phone to be used again unless the owner puts in that information.
    06-16-2013 10:17 PM
    I'm sorry, I thought part of my job description was to try to moderate threads, which involves posting in them when things begin to go downhill. When my post is publically questioned, that makes my moderating practices publically discussed. Now I've asked twice now that if anyone has a question regarding my post to private message me. Is that really such a bad thing here? My only mistake was to forget to include that posts had been deleted and the title changed. I am sorry. But this discussion needs to end here. Again I will ask that should you want to continue this discussion, please private message me. It really isn't that big of a deal. My post has been edited to include that posts were deleted.

I concur.

If you don't get a sufficient answer to your PM from ANY moderator feel free to PM me.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    frekiluv likes this.
    06-16-2013 10:36 PM
    That isn't how apples setup works at all. If the phone is locked by its owner using find my iPhone, it cannot be unlocked or activated unless the original owner's apple ID is entered. (Which means the owner would have to have possession of it to reactivate it) Apples software makes it impossible for a stolen phone to be used again unless the owner puts in that information.
    Samsung's system is better as evidenced by the Prosecutors disdain for Apple's system. As long as anyone possessing the Apple ID can unlock the phone it is vulnerable. Suppose the stolen phone was in a purse and the owner kept her Apple ID written down in a note book or a scrap of paper. With the Samsung system the phone would be disabled and only Samsung could activate it again. Clearly a superior system to Apple's. And the Prosecutor agrees with me.
    06-16-2013 11:51 PM
    Samsung's system is better as evidenced by the Prosecutors disdain for Apple's system. As long as anyone possessing the Apple ID can unlock the phone it is vulnerable. Suppose the stolen phone was in a purse and the owner kept her Apple ID written down in a note book or a scrap of paper. With the Samsung system the phone would be disabled and only Samsung could activate it again. Clearly a superior system to Apple's. And the Prosecutor agrees with me.
    Again, you don't know the system apple is using. You would need the apple ID and the password. Just the apple ID wouldn't do it.
    06-17-2013 12:19 AM
    Hi, Tohio. Since I have happily not lost my phone and not tried Lookout's lock feature; and (b) am not entirely sure what the new Kill Switch idea entails, I'm not sure I can say for certain. If as indicated the deactivation planned by Samsung goes further than a lockout, then you are right, I think. Lookout does give you the option to lock the phone, but a password unlocks it. However, more importantly, it gives you the option to wipe all data from the phone and the card remotely. That impressed me right there.
    06-17-2013 06:30 AM
    This is not the first time I've thought the exact same thing ...
    To stay on topic, bring on Kill Switch!
    06-17-2013 08:17 AM
51 123