Just installed Cyanogen mod on my GS4

willthetech

May 21, 2011
Visit site
So i did it...Just flashed my GS4 with latest build of cyanogen. I was worry but it went very smoothly... If you are having issues adapting to touch wiz lagging like I was coming from iPhone5, this is the solution. Lag is completely gone, even typing is heaven again. Everything runs so smooth and fast...Really changed my view on android for sure.:)

Aaron Watson

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Is the lag really that horrible? =/ I have used my friend's s4 with no noticeable lag whatsoever. Maybe it depends on the phone's variant?

Posted via Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So i did it...Just flashed my GS4 with latest build of cyanogen. I was worry but it went very smoothly... If you are having issues adapting to touch wiz lagging like I was coming from iPhone5, this is the solution. Lag is completely gone, even typing is heaven again. Everything runs so smooth and fast...Really changed my view on android for sure.:)

Yes but your camera doesn't work right? or something?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yep I works assume a smoother and faster experience when you cut out touchwiz and run vanilla Android/cyanogen.

As for the camera if it isn't working then there is a good chance they will/can hack the Samsung branded version and required libs onto the device to make things work

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

willthetech

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Camera works, it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that touch wiz did but it works. U guys need to understand touch wiz sucks, I know it has all kind of stuff but this mod gave me the android experience I was looking for.

r2t

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Custom ROMs may not be the answer for everyone. May use another launcher may solve lagging problems. Before I was rooted and flashed a custom ROM on my S4, using Nova launcher was just fine. I was able to customize my S4 without having to root, which in some case, is good enough for some people. But I do agree with your point that nothing can get you closest to Android experience than flashing a custom ROM from all those great developers out there :)

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
What I didn't like about rooting my device (Epic 4G) was the slightly broken various random little things throughout the device and constant updates in turn. With that said......CM on my Epic 4G was THE BEST my phone ever ran!! I'm pretty sure CM will run ridiculously well on the S4. I'm just too adjusted with TW at this point to root my device. I'll probably root right before I get my S5 though, lol, just for the hell of it! :cool:

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I agree, I love the smoothness of CM on this phone. Its just unfortunate that there are a few issues that nag me a little bit. At least on the Verizon variant, GPS does not lock unless you turn certain settings off or if you flash back to a stock ROM to get a lock first. Also the camera has some bugs even though its functional for the most part.

While I flashed back to TouchWiz, I can definitely see myself flashing CM down the road once a milestone or stable release hits.

Posted via Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
What I didn't like about rooting my device (Epic 4G) was the slightly broken various random little things throughout the device and constant updates in turn. With that said......CM on my Epic 4G was THE BEST my phone ever ran!! I'm pretty sure CM will run ridiculously well on the S4. I'm just too adjusted with TW at this point to root my device. I'll probably root right before I get my S5 though, lol, just for the hell of it! :cool:

This! It was fun many phones ago but always waiting on something to be fixed etc. My S4 runs about as well as I can expect. Certainly up to and surpassing my other phones. But I understand how people want to mod... but been there, done that. Happy Modding!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Seems too much hardware fragmentation for CM 10.1 to be stable and cover all the hardware features now. I have 10.1 on my Nook HD+ 32gb, but the device has no camera, GPS or radios besides WiFi. Less fragmentation factors.

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the game my friend. What till you flash some more feature rich roms like AOKP, Carbon, PAC-Man, RootBox, etc.

Oh and btw, these builds will keep getting smoother and smoother...you should have seen cm 10.1 on my S3, absolute buttery smooth. Our S4s will be the same, oh and we'll have bug free custom ROMs due to the Google Edition S4.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Camera works, it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that touch wiz did but it works. U guys need to understand touch wiz sucks, I know it has all kind of stuff but this mod gave me the android experience I was looking for.

"Well, that's just like, your opinion, man"

I think a blanket statement such as "Touchwiz sucks" is erroneous. As you touched on, many of the advertised features of the phone are part of it. I realize that many folks prefer a more "vanilla" Android experience (though depending on your carrier, you could argue why you would choose a GS4 over a Nexus 4 if that is the case), but a lot folks buy the S4 because it is the flagship device with all the bells and whistles. Granted some had more unexpected issues with laggy-ness than they expected, no argument there, and depending on your comfort level with flashing ROMs and your desired experience with the phone, running CM may be a great suggestion...but it's not going to be the desired or even feasible solution for everyone.

I decided to go a different route. I actually like a lot of the Touchwiz features, but also want my phone running as optimized as possible, so what I did is installed CleanROM, which is touchwiz based but with all the Samsung (and, in my case, Verizon) bloatware removed. I then added back the "bloated" components that I personally desired to have on the phone, installed NOVA launcher, and froze/disabled anything else I don't want or need, such as various "motion" settings and so forth. What I'm left with a great device with no noticeable lag, great battery life*, yet still has all features of TW I wanted in the first place (like the camera). Now, CleanROM isn't available for all S4 models, I think it's only available for AT&T and Verizon S4(?), but my point is that there are other options out there, and Touchwiz as a whole doesn't need to be completely shunned. Perhaps Samsung didn't get it completely right out of the box, but I also don't feel like crippling my device to the point where I'm sacrificing features that attracted me to it in the first place.

FYI -- I've owned several Nexus devices in the past, and currently own a Nexus 10 tablet, so I do understand the great experience that "vanilla" Android can provide. Nothing against them, in fact I've thoroughly enjoyed most of those devices...but if that's what I wanted with my current phone, I would have bought a Nexus 4...just my opinion.

*This past weekend, came close 48 hours on single charge, with moderate use.

willthetech

May 21, 2011
Visit site
My statement was erroneous, what I meant and I forgot to add was the word "me"...touch wiz sucks for me. Sorry if I insulted anyone or anything?It wasn?t my intention. With that said I actually reverted back to TW for now, my email app and calendar were not working properly and I need it for work. I am hoping that when the Google GS4 comes out someone can make a ROM based on that image. Still I am very enthusiastic with Android vanilla, can?t wait what Android 5.0 brings to the table?.