07-03-2013 11:42 PM
28 12
tools
    Hi, I'm new to android and I am considering trying nova launcher. My question is, if I install it and later decide to uninstall, do I get my homescreen back as it is now or do I have to re-customize it?
    Thanks

Posted via Android Central App
    06-15-2013 07:08 PM
    When I revert back to default, everything has stayed the same.

Posted via Android Central App Using My Galaxy S4
    06-15-2013 07:20 PM
    The default launcher configurations should not change. you can also keep Nova and switch back to default by going into App Management, select Nova, and then select the Clear Default button. Nova has settings to reinitialize the launcher so that Nova is default again and you can save the Nova config also as a backup.

... composed by my imaginary construct for you.
    hdgamer and thehoz like this.
    06-15-2013 07:29 PM
    Yep, you can switch back and forth all you want, while you experiment. I have found Nova to be outstanding choice. I sped up all the options via Nova and add tons of extra features, that make the phone very nice. I highly recommend it!
    Kedar, thehoz and frekiluv like this.
    06-15-2013 09:32 PM
    Thanks all. I did install and ended up buying it if nothing else for resizing widgets and notification numbers on icons like gmail. Lots of customizations to play with.

chrscaley and frekiluv like this.
    06-15-2013 10:33 PM
    Thanks all. I did install and ended up buying it if nothing else for resizing widgets and notification numbers on icons like gmail. Lots of customizations to play with.

You may want to look at an app called home switcher. Just an easy way to jump back and forth from stock launcher and Nova or any other's you may decide to try out.
    frekiluv likes this.
    06-15-2013 10:47 PM
    Hey guys, i'm also new to Android (got my S4 Thursday) i have a couple of questions about launchers

1. How do i install one from the Play Store? do i just download?
    2. Do they effect battery life?
    3. I have seen ones based on TV shows, Big Bang Theory, Saints Row game, are they ok to download and use?
    06-16-2013 05:57 AM
    Hey guys, i'm also new to Android (got my S4 Thursday) i have a couple of questions about launchers

3. I have seen ones based on TV shows, Big Bang Theory, Saints Row game, are they ok to download and use?
    1. Yes, you pretty much download them right from the Play Store (Nova, Apex and such).
    2. I don't really focus on the battery life, unless the launcher requires some sort of connectivity, then I don't think any of the major launchers affect your battery life much.
    3. Those are some themes that you could try out, you just need to search around and try the themes that you like for a particular launcher.

Do a little bit of research. I'm sure you can find someone who already has the set up that you might be interested in.
    dave25A and Golfdriver97 like this.
    06-16-2013 06:49 AM
    Hi.. Im fairly new to Android, had my S4 for nearly a month. I use Nova Launcher, Apex Launcher and sslauncher.

I got all my information from here http://mycolorscreen.com. There is a youtube channel too. MyColorScreen - YouTube.

There are loads of video tutorials and info.

Hope this helps.
    06-16-2013 07:27 AM
    FYI if you have more then one home screen it will affect your battery slightly. Rule of thumb Is delete all the widgets.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    06-16-2013 07:47 AM
    Anything you do to your phone will effect battery life

06-16-2013 09:38 AM
    FYI if you have more then one home screen it will affect your battery slightly. Rule of thumb Is delete all the widgets.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Most widgets have only a minimal effect on battery life.
    06-16-2013 08:23 PM

Hi.. Im fairly new to Android, had my S4 for nearly a month. I use Nova Launcher, Apex Launcher and sslauncher.

I got all my information from here Beautiful Android Themes, Wallpapers, and Homescreens. There is a youtube channel too. MyColorScreen - YouTube.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to Android, both of you!!!
    thehoz and DestinedtoGame like this.
    06-16-2013 10:11 PM

I got all my information from here Beautiful Android Themes, Wallpapers, and Homescreens. There is a youtube channel too. MyColorScreen - YouTube.

Hope this helps.

r2t said it best. I would just stick to what you can find on Play. Nova, ADW, Apex and GO are among the most popular launchers downloaded.
    06-16-2013 10:13 PM
    After running nova launcher for about a week and a half, I could never go back. I love how it speeds up the OS. I have my animation and page redraws turned up to faster than light, it sacrifices a bit of the animation but screen switching is unbelievably fast.

I am also using multiple doc pages which I couldn't live without now, makes getting those most commonly used apps very fast. I'm also using the swipe up from bottom to access Google now. The ability to customize every small detail with this launcher is priceless. Well worth the four bucks.
    ffejjj likes this.
    06-16-2013 10:56 PM

I installed Tesla Unread but can't get the gmail or indeed any other notification numbers on icons..am I missing somethong?
    06-17-2013 12:40 AM
    I installed Tesla Unread but can't get the gmail or indeed any other notification numbers on icons..am I missing somethong?
    Not sure on that but you could use UCCW and make small notification count widgets and put them anywhere you want.
    zazazi likes this.
    06-17-2013 07:34 AM

1. Covered already, download in Play Store
    2. The launcher in and of itself doesn't necessarily affect the battery, but *some* elements of *some* launchers could, i.e. certain widgets, live wallpapers, etc. I currently run Nova on all my devices, and haven't noticed any affect on performance or battery.
    3. They may be "OK" (though I honestly don't know), but I imagine a lot of them are more gimmicky than anything else, and may even remove some functionality compared to the better-known or stock launchers.
    06-17-2013 12:40 PM
    2. The launcher in and of itself doesn't necessarily affect the battery, but *some* elements of *some* launchers could, i.e. certain widgets, live wallpapers, etc. I currently run Nova on all my devices, and haven't noticed any affect on performance or battery.
    To elaborate a little, the way I understand it these launchers run instead of the default launcher, not "along side" or "on top" of the default launcher. So if you run Nova then you'll only be running Nova, you won't have both TouchWiz and Nova running simultaneously. That's why it will depend more on what features/widges you have running than it will what launcher you use.
    06-17-2013 01:13 PM
    To elaborate a little, the way I understand it these launchers run instead of the default launcher, not "along side" or "on top" of the default launcher. So if you run Nova then you'll only be running Nova, you won't have both TouchWiz and Nova running simultaneously. That's why it will depend more on what features/widges you have running than it will what launcher you use.
    Exactly...ANY launcher loaded with data-intensive widgets or animated graphics or simply poorly coded could cause poor battery life, but launchers don't inherently consume more battery just by being there.
    06-17-2013 01:30 PM
    I have a random Nova question. I use the Yahoo finance widget, which has built in resizing capability (to expand based on how many stocks you want to show). However, with Nova, I can't see to access the widget's native resizing functionality, as it will resize via Nova (which doesn't work right in this case), or if I turn Nova widget resizing off, it won't do anything. Is there a way I can get around this and access the widget's original resizing capability?
    06-18-2013 02:31 PM
    I have a random Nova question. I use the Yahoo finance widget, which has built in resizing capability (to expand based on how many stocks you want to show). However, with Nova, I can't see to access the widget's native resizing functionality, as it will resize via Nova (which doesn't work right in this case), or if I turn Nova widget resizing off, it won't do anything. Is there a way I can get around this and access the widget's original resizing capability?
    No. Some of those widgets are TouchWiz coded. That is why thry do not work well with nova.

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3
    ToddL likes this.
    06-18-2013 03:44 PM
    If i install a launcher will i be able to still use the features of the S4? such as Air-view and so on. Also i've noticed that there are free launchers but also paid ones of the same, so a free Nova but also a paid Nova, whats the difference?
    06-19-2013 03:14 AM
    If i install a launcher will i be able to still use the features of the S4? such as Air-view and so on. Also i've noticed that there are free launchers but also paid ones of the same, so a free Nova but also a paid Nova, whats the difference?
    You can still use features of the ROM. The paid version, like most other apps, unlocks certain settings and features.

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3
    dave25A likes this.
    06-19-2013 08:03 AM
    *Sometimes* it depends on the launcher as to what native stuff doesn't work...but all of the Samsung apps and motions and gestures still work with Nova. Nova also leaves the default TW lockscreen in place.

The paid version adds additional features. I'd try out the free version, and if you like it and want to unlock some of the premium features, then youcan purchase it.
    dave25A likes this.
    06-19-2013 08:23 AM
28 12