06-19-2013 08:05 AM
78 1234
tools
    The carrier was enough to make me choose the S4 over the One. We get a ~25% discount on Verizon and at the time there was no announcements about the One coming to Verizon. I also wouldn't have wanted to wait any longer than I had to to get a new phone.

The reasons I probably would have picked the S4 if both were available are the storage and camera. For me 32GB and 16GB internal storage phones are functionally identical. It's more than I need for apps and photos and not enough for my music. With the S4 the expandable storage, even if the SD implementation is iffy, will allow me to put all the music I want on the phone. I'd have to jump to the 64GB One for it to be as good as the S4. I guess this is probably a carrier issue as well, but there's no guarantee that the 64GB would be available on Verizon. If it were this would be a reason for me to get the One.

The camera is considered to be superior on the S4. I use my phone as my only camera so when two phones are so close in specs it may have just come down to this.
    06-17-2013 02:14 PM
    Samsung mastered what Apple has done, in Marketing. Removable Battery, microSD.

I hate to say this but it just works. LOL *hTc One 4.1.2/No Launchers

Family & Friends who tried the One complained about...

Take the simplest task of customizing/moving Apps, you have to go to the Drawer and Lack of Menu Button & Notifical Panel.

My issue is...

Again, this is just me being anal but Album Art is important to me. I didn't have to change anything in my iTunes library and the S4 just works. It took awhile but I figured out that I had to change "Albums" in Get Info (iTunes) for example I have a few albums that are "Greatest Hits" and had to change it because it will duplicate the Artist Art.

Having said all this, I still prefer the One.
    06-17-2013 02:47 PM
    I really like to know why people choose S4 over One?

BinGa's S4
    Simple. They made a choice and it.. Was the S4. Can't really guess people's reasons.. Some could say they thought the S in the S4 looked cool..

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    06-17-2013 03:04 PM
    I went with the S4 because it offered more. I also think the design is superior to the HTC one. Yes we all know the HTC is aluminium... Don't care. If i was going to chose a phone based on looks/design iPhone 5 is king. The S4 has a 5" screen and a battery that lasts me all day. It's so light and slim. Honestly it's a marvellous piece of engineering... All that power and screen in such a slim/light design. I'll take that any day.

It also seems to me that HTC one went very safe/boring with the phone. No extras.. it's close to being stock android. it's cool but i enjoy manufactures that try things. Today Air gestures is a "gimmick" for some. Tomorrow it could be standard on all devices. I guess i like the fact that Samsung takes a few risks and adds these sometimes crazy features lol

Let's not forget resale value. I change phone every 6 to 10 months. I want my phone to be worth something... The galaxy line keeps it's value. HTC one is going for $99 and a free $25 play store gift card or something here in Canada. The phone is not really selling here. So the S4 will get me more $$$ when it's time to sell. And then there's accessories, the S4 is so well supported it's not even funny. I don't even like cases.. but i have 3 now lol. They just look so good i had to buy them LOL.

I think both phones are win depending on what you're looking for. But for me s4 is the phone at the moment.
    orion575 and Nreeldeep like this.
    06-17-2013 03:26 PM
    Simple. They made a choice and it.. Was the S4. Can't really guess people's reasons.. Some could say they thought the S in the S4 looked cool..

What? He wasn't asking anyone to guess their reasons he was asking what their actual reasons were for purchasing the S4.
    06-17-2013 03:39 PM
    What? He wasn't asking anyone to guess their reasons he was asking what their actual reasons were for purchasing the S4.
    Indeed.

06-17-2013 03:40 PM
    I read it differently. I thought he asked why people (generically) chose it.

Transmitted through spacetime.
    06-17-2013 03:45 PM

BinGa's S4
    :-)

06-17-2013 03:45 PM
    I read it differently. I thought he asked why people (generically) chose it.

I agree with you NothingIsTrue.. That's how I read it.

06-17-2013 03:47 PM

BinGa's S4
    Dropped on their heads as young children lol

Seriously though i really think its just a matter of preference. The S4 is a very nice phone with loads of features. Some people like lcd some like amoled, some like aluminum some enjoy the plastic, Htc sense apposed to touch wiz.

The One and the S4 have plenty to offer. I am someone who like's what Htc has done with the One from the sleek design to the slimmed down software. The S4 packs a larger screen into a relatively similar sized phone...........

I guess it just boils down to choice. Two very nice phones in my opinion
    mcpricex and Nreeldeep like this.
    06-17-2013 03:48 PM
    :-)

Uh, you do realize people have been telling him why they bought the S4. There didn't seem to be any confusion about his question from the majority who have replied except those who somehow think he wanted a response from those who don't own the phone. Why they would have a clue as to why someone decided to buy the S4 is beyond me!
    06-17-2013 04:52 PM
    Uh, you do realize people have been telling him why they bought the S4. There didn't seem to be any confusion about his question from the majority who have replied except those who somehow think he wanted a response from those who don't own the phone. Why they would have a clue as to why someone decided to buy the S4 is beyond me!
    Answers seem similar anyway you look at it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    06-17-2013 04:55 PM
    So your logic is because I don't own it I can't know what others think? Lol. If i said it was my reasons I could see your point but I have friends who bought it and most of the reasons are listed in this thread .

Battery, screen, motions for calls, camera.

06-17-2013 05:00 PM
    Perhaps they considered the same choice and chose otherwise, but still know what was in the Pro's column for their own decision.
    06-17-2013 05:23 PM
    My reasons:

Better camera
    Removable battery
    Expandable storage
    Bigger screen with small bezel
    Samsung software appeared more useful than Sense

Posted via Android Central App
    orion575 likes this.
    06-17-2013 05:53 PM
    I had both and I found the S4 to be much better for one handed use. As others have said, it menu and button placement is better on the S4. Beyond that, there are some usefull software features in TouchWiz (Smart Stay and Air View were my favorites) even though there were alot of gimicky features. Also, the camera and camera software are top of the line. It's arguable wether the camera on the S4 is better than the One (I think it has a slight edge overall) the camera software on the S4 is the best I've seen on a phone. Also, there is no question that Samsung has gotten on the ball as far as updating their devices and keeping them updated for the life of a contract

In the end, both are good phones. I had my issues with the S4 so I ended up with the HTC One, but I think it comes down to personal choice and the features that are most important to you
    06-17-2013 07:47 PM
    I'm on Verizon so the One isn't an option.

Sent from my SCH-I545
    06-17-2013 08:25 PM
    I'm on Verizon so the One isn't an option.
    Yet...
    Topgonzo and Aquila like this.
    06-17-2013 08:29 PM
    Yet...
    No one should have to wait for a phone. It's a fumble on Verizon's part in this case.
    06-17-2013 09:39 PM
    Well i do agree that Verizon dropped the ball on the One. Still no release on a phone thats been out for months on other carriers.

On the other hand I'm always waiting for the next best thing. I thought my Htc Evo lte was great and worked great for me yet i bought The One. I now love The One but i cant help but think about the next best thing. Character flaw i guess
    06-17-2013 09:48 PM
    Because it's the best phone to ever set foot on mankind

GS4 Love
    I prefer it when my phones does step on me.
    06-17-2013 09:52 PM
    All the advertising in the world is not going to make a POS a best seller.
    Apple proves otherwise.
    orion575 and satannik like this.
    06-17-2013 11:19 PM
    Any top end smart phone is going to do everything and more that I could ever possibly ask of it and the software features of either one can easily be duplicated on the other. Is web browsing on the s4 really such a different experience to web browsing on the One? I doubt it. So for me it came down to a much more pedestrian consideration, but one that I look for in everything that I buy, how it feels in the hand, how it handles and how I physically interact with it. This is of course subjective but it is a consideration that is often overlooked.

In my case the S4 felt awkward, the narrow bezel around the screen looks awesome, but it compromises the way I hold my phone, probably a small point but it makes a huge difference in terms of day to day use. The One felt right from the moment I picked it up, and it came down to as simple a choice as that. I am still very happy with my choice and I would say the One is the best phone ever made, but to be fair, I can remember saying exactly the same thing about my S2 at the time.

Incidentally, several people have mentioned easier repairs with the S4, but you might want to check on that. I have a 'ahem' competive friend who bought an S4 just after I got my One. Two days old and bending down with the phone in his pocket, the screen snaps from corner to corner. Obviously the supplier and the network weren't interested so he took it to another major high street retailer. They quoted him 170 (265usd) for a repair but then to add insult to injury they told him that they would only be able to do it when the parts become available, which for the foreseeable future, weren't. So the s4 might be easy to take apart, less easy to put back together if there are no parts available.
    06-18-2013 05:45 AM
    I wouldn't call Apple a POS. They make good products and offer the best customer service i have ever seen. Maybe it's not the cell phone you would use.. But it;s far from a POS.

Let's not forget the reason we have such great options at the moment (HTC one/S4/Nexus/Sony) is because they all wanted i piece of Apples pie. All the marketing in the world won't help a POS product these days... Thanks to the internet, manufactures have to offer some quality

Apple proves otherwise.
    tohio likes this.
    06-18-2013 07:09 AM
    I wouldn't call Apple a POS. They make good products and offer the best customer service i have ever seen. Maybe it's not the cell phone you would use.. But it;s far from a POS.

Let's not forget the reason we have such great options at the moment (HTC one/S4/Nexus/Sony) is because they all wanted i piece of Apples pie. All the marketing in the world won't help a POS product these days... Thanks to the internet, manufactures have to offer some quality
    I think he was kidding. But you are right, although I dislike Apple for their business practices the iPhone is a remarkable electronic device. Android has surpassed it and I would never own an iPhone again (had one a few years back) but it isn't a POS. But on the subject of marketing failures: Remember the Segway, it was going to revolutionize transportation forever.
    06-18-2013 07:35 AM
78 1234