06-21-2013 11:06 AM
239 ... 678910
tools
    Why don't you provide me with a few claims from S4 users that their cracked screen is a result of poor build quality
    The glass isn't the issue. The body is.

One phone has a flexible plastic body, and one has a rigid metal body.

Incase you didn't know - glass doesn't like to get bent.

Still don't understand? Try this. Gorilla Glass 3 is better (stronger) than Gorilla Glass 2.

The S4 uses Gorilla Glass 3.

The HTC One uses Gorilla Glass 2, and YET the S4 still has issues with broken glass. Why?

The plastic body of the S4 flexes way too much.

Isn't science fun?
    return_0 and perky123 like this.
    06-19-2013 09:21 PM

Still don't understand? Try this. Gorilla Glass 3 is better (stronger) than Gorilla Glass 2.

The HTC One uses Gorilla Glass 2, and YET the S4 still has issues with broken glass. Why?

The plastic body of the S4 flexes way too much.

Isn't science fun?
    OK, calm down. Provide me (us) with a credible source anywhere that says the S4 has more broken screens per capita than the HTC ONE or is any more prone to screen breaking than the HTC ONE. If you can't then you are just making stuff, albeit with giant letters.
    shoii, msavic6, madlaw1071 and 2 others like this.
    06-19-2013 09:27 PM
    Provide me (us) with a credible source anywhere that says the S4 has more broken screens per capita than the HTC ONE
    Please stop being so disingenuous, or post a link to a organization that tracks broken screen "per capita". Really, where do you come up with this nonsense? If you need proof that the s4 screens crack easily, then a simple google with provide you with many examples of that. But then you already know that didn't you? So then what is your point? That samsungs plastic is just as rigid as metal? Prove it. If you can't then it all comes down to what they call 'common sense'. Missing yours? Just asking....
    06-19-2013 09:37 PM

The HTC One uses Gorilla Glass 2, and YET the S4 still has issues with broken glass. Why? The plastic body of the S4 flexes way too much.

Isn't science fun?
    Yes, science is fun. Once you understand it. There is a difference between harder and stronger. Gorilla glass 3 is harder than gorilla glass 2. According to science, that makes it more brittle. Therefore, easier to shatter. They are also making it thinner. That is a deadly combination in and of itself. Also, it is not stronger. Just more scratch resistant.
    Jennifer Stough
    Forums Moderator
    Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2
    DS1331, Topgonzo and The Hustleman like this.
    06-19-2013 09:43 PM
    When HTC and Samsung both release aluminum devices, how will we know which is better? I guess the actual build quality and feature sets will still be different.
    DS1331 likes this.
    06-19-2013 09:47 PM
    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Why I Bought The Galaxy S4 Over The HTC One-1371696497698.jpg  
    Aquila and SenseMonkey like this.
    06-19-2013 09:48 PM
    Please stop being so disingenuous, or post a link to a organization that tracks broken screen "per capita". Really, where do you come up with this nonsense? If you need proof that the s4 screens crack easily, then a simple google with provide you with many examples of that. But then you already know that didn't you? So then what is your point? That samsungs plastic is just as rigid as metal? Prove it. If you can't then it all comes down to what they call 'common sense'. Missing yours? Just asking....
    Missing common sense? Really? So you failed in your assignment. I'm disappointed but not surprised.
    06-19-2013 09:58 PM
    If you want to get scientific, glass has a deflection rating and is designed to bend. My 84" long aquarium deflects almost 7 inches at the center point with no bracing. And it still holds water.
    Jennifer Stough and Aquila like this.
    06-19-2013 10:03 PM
    Yes, science is fun. Once you understand it. There is a difference between harder and stronger. Gorilla glass 3 is harder than gorilla glass 2. According to science, that makes it more brittle. Therefore, easier to shatter. They are also making it thinner. That is a deadly combination in and of itself. Also, it is not stronger. Just more scratch resistant.
    Jennifer Stough
    Forums Moderator
    Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2
    That's the point.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    06-19-2013 10:17 PM
    That's the point.

Er..not sure if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing with me, or just stating that scratch resistance is the point, lol. It's hard to tell in threads like these, sorry

Jennifer Stough
    Forums Moderator
    06-19-2013 10:24 PM
    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    Why I Bought The Galaxy S4 Over The HTC One-1371699148720.jpg I had to, just had to..

Courtesy of My LT3VO
    06-19-2013 10:32 PM
    I thought S4 vs. One was yesterday's news. O well, it's still funny to see you guys going at it with something that probably has a negligible difference in glass sturdiness. lol. I am glad i don't really care about this issue, and siding with neither group.
    Aquila, Almeuit and Johnny Roberts like this.
    06-19-2013 10:33 PM
    Er..not sure if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing with me, or just stating that scratch resistance is the point, lol. It's hard to tell in threads like these, sorry

Jennifer Stough
    Forums Moderator
    Um... I think I'm agreeing with you. But to be honest, I don't even know anymore either

Jennifer Stough likes this.
    06-19-2013 10:42 PM
    Yes, science is fun. Once you understand it.
    Yes, once you understand it.

Gorilla glass 3 is harder than gorilla glass 2
    According to science, that makes it more brittle. Therefore, easier to shatter.
    No not according to science, or the manufacture, just according to you. You are making a common assumption about glass molecules. There is a scientific reason why the manufacture never uses the term 'harder' in any of its literature. Once you understand how Gorilla Glass is made you will understand why they disagree with you. According to your theory since diamonds are the hardest substance, they should also be the most brittle substance on Earth. Care to explain why they are not also the most brittle substance on Earth? Well if you want to talk science then you should know that stress is what makes Gorilla Glass stronger. According to your assumption making glass harder (more dense) would make it more brittle (less strong). According to science you are precisely wrong in your assumption. You might enjoy reading these science articles:

Stress Makes Gorilla Glass Stronger: Scientific American

Gorilla Glass - What Is Gorilla Glass?
    TylerLucas likes this.
    06-19-2013 10:46 PM

No not according to science, or the manufacture, just according to you. You are making a common assumption about glass molecules. There is a scientific reason why the manufacture never uses the term 'harder' in any of its literature. Once you understand how Gorilla Glass is made you will understand why they disagree with you. According to your theory since diamonds are the hardest substance, they should also be the most brittle substance on Earth. Care to explain why they are not also the most brittle substance on Earth? Well if you want to talk science then you should know that stress is what makes Gorilla Glass stronger. According to your assumption making glass harder (more dense) would make it more brittle (less strong). According to science you are precisely wrong in your assumption. You might enjoy reading these science articles:

Enough about Gorilla Glass; How bout' them Sapphire displays? I think the first company to make screen protectors(or displays) out of sapphire will become a trillion $ company..
    http://m.cnet.com/news/this-sapphire.../57571618?ds=1

Courtesy of My LT3VO
    06-19-2013 11:08 PM

I can Google things to support my cause too :thumbup:

From an article on gorilla glass:
    " Still, glass is a brittle material. And while brittle materials tend to be extremely strong under compression, theyre also extremely weak under tension: If you bend them, they can break. The key to Gorilla Glass is that the compression layer keeps cracks from propagating through the material and catastrophically letting tension take over."

That being said, your point on diamonds falls short. My statement was not to be taken as a blanket statement, but to glass in particular. Gorilla glass is brittle because of it's molecular structure. Gorilla glass 3 is in fact more brittle than gorilla glass 2, although not by much, and the differences in the two are not of a grand enough difference to let it influence which device to purchase. I was not talking out of my *** when I said that. I'm not looking to argue with you. All of what I said was scientifically correct, whether you want to believe it is assumption or not. I could have done a better job of explaining my self, yes, but I am not incorrect. I'll link you to supporting details when I have the time. In the mean time, I have a kid, a husband, and a dog to wrestle into bed.

Jennifer Stough
    Forums Moderator
    06-19-2013 11:10 PM
    The factual, albeit incomplete portions of your statements don't contradict what she said in the factual, albeit incomplete portions of hers; nor do the articles. If you understand what you are saying and what she is saying, you realize you're both telling parts of the same story. Not sure why you seek a conflict in which aspect of the nature of glass you chose to describe.
    06-19-2013 11:13 PM

Why don't you provide a link to an article proving there's a screen breakage issue with the S4 as opposed to the HTC One? You skirt the challenge posed by Tohio and deflect by challenging him to Google it because you googled it already and didn't find anything to back up your unfounded statement.
    Yet you were pleased to list articles you able to Google in hopes of bolstering your point.
    See how that destroys your credibility?
    Johnny Roberts likes this.
    06-19-2013 11:14 PM
    I can Google things to support my cause too
    Great. Really looking forward to your scientific articles which back up your assertion that making Gorilla Glass 3 harder makes it more brittle. In the mean time you should know that it has been verified via Young's Modulus that you are completely wrong, and that Gorilla Glass 3 is actually 3% LESS brittle. Not much, to be sure, but it's more than enough to prove your statement is completely wrong. Your claim that Gorilla Glass 3 is "harder" has also scientifically been verified as being incorrect.

" The key to Gorilla Glass is that the compression layer keeps cracks from propagating through the material and catastrophically letting tension take over."
    I'm not sure why you would post this as it precisely goes against your previous claim.

your point on diamonds falls short. My statement was not to be taken as a blanket statement, but to glass in particular.
    Then you should have stated so, instead of saying that "According to science, that makes it more brittle". Science has made no such claim, and we are not talking about "glass" but instead Gorilla Glass, which is produced much differently.

Gorilla glass is brittle because of it's molecular structure.
    Not true. Where is your scientific documentation to back up your assertion? Certainly not from the manufacture. They (and science) both completely disagree with your assertion. Have you even read the white paper on Gorilla Glass? I'm thinking no....

I'm not looking to argue with you.
    Great. I am not looking to argue with you either. You made false statements. I'm simply asking you to scientifically back them up.

All of what I said was scientifically correct,
    Great. Should be very easy for you to document it then.

I'll link you to supporting details when I have the time.
    I fully understand. Take all the time that you need. The laws of science aren't going to change. All that I ask is that when you come up short please don't back peddle like so many others try to do on the net. Likewise whenever I have been proven wrong I publicly acknowledge it. Learning is a great thing. So is truth. Both are important to me. I look forward to your scientific articles.

In the mean time pass the popcorn and enjoy the video.

<font face="verdana">
    Carl Sanchez and TylerLucas like this.
    06-20-2013 12:14 AM
    The factual, albeit incomplete portions of your statements don't contradict what she said in the factual, albeit incomplete portions of hers
    I'm not sure what you did, or didn't read. She made several untrue (false) statements. Those precisely being;

"Gorilla glass 3 is harder than gorilla glass 2."

It is not. It is softer. What's so funny about this is that she (correctly) also says that Gorilla Glass 3 is more scratch resistant. The funny part is that it's more scratch resistant precisely because it's softer. LOL....

"According to science, that makes it more brittle. Therefore, easier to shatter." (It being Gorilla Glass 3).

This is also not true. Science makes no such claim. The manufacture also makes no such claim. Only she makes this claim.

Not sure about you but I'm betting on science to be right.
    06-20-2013 12:28 AM
    Jeje, you have an S4, just like I have a One, funny guy this one. Facts? You are in a roll here dude, again I couldn't care less about your opinion or "facts" as I have mine and that what is important to me, I'm the one that pay my bills, and the only one that take my decisions, so I can't go wrong with whatever decision I make, eh won't you get the point here?

Again, this is a forum, and yes, anyone can post, but there's an universal rule that say that if you go to a thread that ask for something and you just go there and don't answer the question while posting other stuff, then you are just a troll, any similarities are just a coincidence.

Like I said, don't quote me, I don't have time to answer to this childish posts, so don't lose your time, this won't happen again it was just this one time so you weren't feel too comfortable thinking that you were right by any chance. BUT seeing this childish posts from childish posters, I know in advance that you will keep on with this, so you're welcome to do so, I will spend my time enjoying my awesome phone and watching a good movie with my family.
    Dont quote me bro!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    06-20-2013 12:31 AM
    Why don't you provide a link to an article proving there's a screen breakage issue with the S4 as opposed to the HTC One?
    That suggests that the One screen cannot break, which would not be true. No one here has claimed what you ask. Comprehension skills lacking, or are you just trying to put words in peoples mouth?

because you googled it already and didn't find anything to back up your unfounded statement.
    LOL... Oh so now you're the invisible man and you're looking over my shoulder and you "know" what I've done huh? Please don't tell Santa Claus.
    06-20-2013 12:39 AM
    I have used the HTC One for 1 week before going back to ATT store and exchange for a GS4.

Reasons being:
    1.I couldn't get enough details on the pictures I take with the One. Most of the photos I take are between 10am and noon somewhere outside, and that's where GS4's 13MP shines. HTC One's 4MP photos also look blurry on my 1440p screen(3.5MP).

2.The larger Screen(13% larger), I prefer AMOLED's more vibrant color as well. The darker black also looks better since I watch videos a lot in dark room or conditions(in a plane). HTC One's smaller screen looks even smaller when surrounded by the wide bezel around it.

3.HTC One's battery life is worse than GS4 from my experience(based on my usage model), most of my screen time are spent watching videos or reading ebooks(Google Play books have black background white text option) which is advantageous to an AMOLED display phone's battery life.

4. For $290 I can get a 16GB GS4, 64GB Samsung Micro SD card(10 year warranty, total of 68G Useable space) & A good case for my S4, while for $300 I can only get a HTC One 64GB(Total of about 55G useable space). Since I need the media storage space for my 50G of video I watch+ Photos/Podcasts/eBooks(need those on the plane so cloud is no go). This is pretty much a no brainer.

5.I prefer GS4's Size(shorter/wider) and button layout(power button on the side instead of top).

Things I still miss from HTC One:

The dual front facing speaker(Samsung need to figure out a way to have this for their next phone, I suggest remove the physical home button and put a speaker there, then enable to ear speaker up top to work for media playback).

Truth be told both are great phones, it just happens GS4 is the better fit for my usage model thus the better phone for me.
    At least you were truthful about why you really chose a GS4 over an HTC One and provided cold, concrete facts as to what tipped the decision for you.

Unlike most people who just started the troll/flame war as all these threads inevitably become =/

Anyone who stores a bunch of movies/music on their phones or who take lots of photos that they need to enlarge, for example, would obviously find limitations with the HTC One. And to those people, I would say, glad you are keeping it real and getting a phone that can really serve your own specific needs.
    06-20-2013 12:53 AM
    Starting to get out of hand here.

I only warn once, because I don't really like coddling people. Takes zero effort for me to shut down the thread, and start hitting the magic button.

If you're not here to enjoy yourself and play nice with others, GTFO.
    madlaw1071, return_0 and erasat like this.
    06-20-2013 01:00 AM
    Anyone who stores a bunch of movies/music on their phones or who take lots of photos that they need to enlarge, for example, would obviously find limitations with the HTC One.
    What "limitations" are you talking about? LOL...
    06-20-2013 01:00 AM
239 ... 678910