Why I Bought The Galaxy S4 Over The HTC One

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I consider myself to be a total geek when it comes to technology, especially smartphones. I spent time with both the Galaxy S4 and HTC One before making my final decision and I must say that final decision was quite an easy one after spending time with both phones. I am not going to talk negatively about the HTC One because it is a great choice and phone but in my honest opinion it just doesn't compare to the Galaxy S4. To sum things up:

HTC One Pros:
1. Build Quality - There is no question that the aluminum body of the HTC One is beautiful
2. Better screen brightness - It was easier to see the screen on the HTC One when outside on a sunny day

Samsung Galaxy S4 Pros:
1. Superior UI
2. Camera - The HTC One may compete with the Galaxy S4 on low light photos but in general the camera technology in the S4 is much better and takes more realistic photos
3. Removable battery - If the camera at some point becomes defective then simply swap it out! If the camera becomes defective in the HTC One you are looking at a pricey repair by a technician.
4. SD Slot - Who doesn't like having the option of additional storage?
5. Removable back cover - I actually like this about the S4 and for a few reasons. It is well known that the S4 is quite easy to open and repair if need be AND if the back cover gets marked up and you are OCD like me then you can simply replace it.
6. Air Motions - Yes, some are gimmicky but some are quite useful. I have answered the phone while cooking by waving at the sensor and hovered over my screen to check notifications several times.

At the end of the day the only thing the HTC One may have over the Galaxy S4 (in the minds of some) is the build quality BUT keep this in mind. The majority of us put our phones in cases such as Otterbox and when we are doing that the phone is protected and the materials don't really matter. If you are one to use your phone naked then I can see you loving the HTC One but other than that I just couldn't see recommending the HTC One over the Galaxy S4. I am not just saying that because I own an S4, I did spend time with both before making my decision and will still say that the HTC One is a great choice for those who go with it. For me, the tech geek who likes the best of the best I will keep my S4 :)

OhAlfie

Banned
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Noooooooooooooo!!! Not another one of these threads!! Make them stop!

(or create an official "sticky" thread where all these folks can hang out.)

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the fence between the two and your points make sense.

Many people claim build quality is better on the HTC One than on phone A or B but I really can't think of a phone in my past (and I've had a few!) that has had problems due to build quality. It seems that even when a phone seems "cheap" or "flimsy" because of thin plastic, nothing bad happens due to the "cheap" feeling or the "thin plastic". It's all about how it feels. My point is that I believe just about every phone out there today is pretty well made and build quality is more "build feel" than actual quality.

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Haha I agree man, this topic is a heavy one. I posted it just because I was really contemplating between the two and wanted to try and help anyone else in the same boat.

I don't plan on posting about it again - this was the one and only lol.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site

I think you should have a serious talk with the person that is forcing you to read and reply to threads you don't like. It's more like, "Nooooooo!! Not another guy telling people to check with them before starting a thread! There should be a sticky thread where those folks can hang out and cry."

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the fence between the two and your points make sense.

Many people claim build quality is better on the HTC One than on phone A or B but I really can't think of a phone in my past (and I've had a few!) that has had problems due to build quality. It seems that even when a phone seems "cheap" or "flimsy" because of thin plastic, nothing bad happens due to the "cheap" feeling or the "thin plastic". It's all about how it feels. My point is that I believe just about every phone out there today is pretty well made and build quality is more "build feel" than actual quality.

I have both and the build quality is better on the s4. Build materials are better on the ONE but they have had many quality control issues with the screens and the speakers cracking/popping. In not saying this to discourage you from the ONE because on my third try I finally got a good one. It's a damn fine phone visually but at the end of the day I couldn't give up my s4 for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

privatesamso

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I'd take HTC One any day. The S4 is just getting and looking a little too old. The HTC brings new life and feels like it should be a expensive phone

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Ya I got the one... Wife got a s4. Both are great devices but to me the choice was easy.. The one is the best for me.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I'd take HTC One any day. The S4 is just getting and looking a little too old. The HTC brings new life and feels like it should be a expensive phone

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yet it's not lol. The One has better build materials but the S4 is better built. I'd take the S4 over the One any day.

GS4 Love

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I think there has been plenty of threads on this specific topic and its pretty much been beaten to death. Everyone one of them ends up in phone bashing. Is there any point to this?

Sent from my Galaxy S4

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Agreed lol its getting a bit overboard...No need to explain why you chose the S4 over the One, just be happy with your decision and use this forum for troubles with your new phone

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Yea, I really want a phone with 16 GB of storage. Just give me more and I don't have to mess with an SD card. I've never bought a spare battery for a phone, ever. Back scratched up ? Mine is in a case, plus I am not OCD. UI is an opinion, but this is Android, don't like it, change it. Speaking of which, it's super easy to unlock the boot loader on the One, so I am running 4.2.2. Plus I buy from a company that doesn't have to pay people to bash the competition, bribe officials, or try to mimic Apple. I have a power switch at the top and a rocker switch for volume. No front buttons. Dual front speakers, the list goes on... :)

Last edited:

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I consider myself to be a total geek when it comes to technology, especially smartphones. I spent time with both the Galaxy S4 and HTC One before making my final decision and I must say that final decision was quite an easy one after spending time with both phones. I am not going to talk negatively about the HTC One because it is a great choice and phone but in my honest opinion it just doesn't compare to the Galaxy S4. To sum things up:

HTC One Pros:
1. Build Quality - There is no question that the aluminum body of the HTC One is beautiful
2. Better screen brightness - It was easier to see the screen on the HTC One when outside on a sunny day

Samsung Galaxy S4 Pros:
1. Superior UI
2. Camera - The HTC One may compete with the Galaxy S4 on low light photos but in general the camera technology in the S4 is much better and takes more realistic photos
3. Removable battery - If the camera at some point becomes defective then simply swap it out! If the camera becomes defective in the HTC One you are looking at a pricey repair by a technician.
5. Removable back cover - I actually like this about the S4 and for a few reasons. It is well known that the S4 is quite easy to open and repair if need be AND if the back cover gets marked up and you are OCD like me then you can simply replace it.
6. Air Motions - Yes, some are gimmicky but some are quite useful. I have answered the phone while cooking by waving at the sensor and hovered over my screen to check notifications several times.

At the end of the day the only thing the HTC One may have over the Galaxy S4 (in the minds of some) is the build quality BUT keep this in mind. The majority of us put our phones in cases such as Otterbox and when we are doing that the phone is protected and the materials don't really matter. If you are one to use your phone naked then I can see you loving the HTC One but other than that I just couldn't see recommending the HTC One over the Galaxy S4. I am not just saying that because I own an S4, I did spend time with both before making my decision and will still say that the HTC One is a great choice for those who go with it. For me, the tech geek who likes the best of the best I will keep my S4 :)

so, are you experiencing the notorious "lag" that everyone seems to have? I'm really, really nervous about purchasing the S4 now, and I have 38 days to upgrade day. maybe I'll just buy the S3 and be done with it...

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I bought the S4 because a letter (S) and a number (4) means it is a much higher model than a ( One ). Just kidding. Both the S4 and the One are great phones. They have far surpassed Apple at this stage.

Last edited:

oplix

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site

HTC One Pros:

Samsung Galaxy S4 Pros:
1. Superior UI

Trying hard not to troll here but you consider yourself a tech geek yet you bought a phone with 9gb of useable storage in 2013...a "flagship" phone at that.

standog100

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I also had that same problem..I love the fact that the one came with 32gb over the s4 16gb...(32gb & 64gb s4 exist only on Samsung mind)I finally picked the s4 because of its added (gimmicky) features n I totally love it but I miss the htc zoe feature.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yilun808

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I think most of these people who make these threads/posts are basically trying to justify to themselves that they've made the right decision. This would only infer that the decision was much more closer than they care to admit. Afterall, it would be foolish to put your foot down on a phone only to live in perceived regret. And if it was a runaway decision to begin with, there would be no impulse to even discuss or share something like this on an android forum in the first place.

That being said, I agree with several reviews of these 2 phones that claim you wouldn't be wrong in choosing either of them. It really depends on your personal preference on what you like to have in your daily driver smart phone. With all of the pro's for the GS4 that the OP described, I could just as easily describe similar pro's that are unique to the HTC One. I have several friends who own the GS4. They never use the gimmicky air gestures (not all of them are cooks). All of them complain about the battery life for the S4 - that it drains very quickly under moderate-heavy use. They need to pump a load of battery optimization apps to try to squeeze as much juice out of it as they can for it to last the entire day. A few of them (not all of them) experience laggy UI's. It seems like lag is a crap-shoot for the GS4. If you're lucky, you don't see any. If not, strap in for a rough, frustrating ride. Some of them are in love with Touchwiz, some of them can't stand it.

The point being, every phone will have it's pro's and con's. And every person will perceive those pro's and con's differently and make their decisions based on that. I never use stock launchers anyways so the UI makes no difference to me since I'm customizing mine as soon as I get my phone. Screen + speakers are much better on the One, imo. Makes watching movies and gaming a pure blast to enjoy. Beats audio is tremendous when I'm listening to music with head-sets. I like to take pictures of my food in dimly lit restaurants and the One produces great low-light photos. Love the HTC Zoe features and the editing of video highlights to share with my friends/family. The look & feel and overall build of the phone is beautiful and still looks amazing to me until this day. I've never had to buy a new battery for any of my previous phones because I switch them every 2 years anyways. With 32 (GB) of storage (27 out of box), it will be awhile before I have to buy a SD card. With the GS4 16 GB (9 GB) out of box, I would have probably started shopping for a SD card by now.

As you can see, anyone can easily write a post that would put one phone in better light than the other. What bothers me is that people who are "on the fence" who reads these and goes, "thanks! now I'm going to buy said phone". I totally understand that this is precisely what these types of forums are for... but at the same time, I would rather not see people be "misled" by heavily opinionated reviews.

At the end of the day, an honest review should showcase the complete list of pro's and con's for both phones and a discussion of why one set of pro's outweigh the other based on the specific user's needs. It shouldn't be a list that is skewed in effort to convince the audience that a buyer has justifiably made the right choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.