Why I Bought The Galaxy S4 Over The HTC One

Status
Not open for further replies.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
How come it's always S4 vs one how comes it's never S4 vs Nexus 4 ???? The real droid nerds seem to favor the nexus 4 over everything anyway

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

jlongrc

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Saying the TouchWiz UI is better is HIGHLY debatable. I don't know if we want to get into that can of worms. Some people are going to like it, but others will hate it. It unequivocally slows down the phone. While you may not notice any lag or performance issues with your S4, one of the most common reasons cited by professional reviewers for One>S4 is that the One is simply crisper, smoother to use -- presumably because the latest iteration of Sense is working more quickly than TouchWiz.

It's another one of those things where you can't just say that the UI is better as if that is fact. Lots of people don't like TouchWiz, don't like the gesturing features, etc. You (and others, undoubtedly) liking those things doesn't make them better...it makes them better for you. Try to find a more nuanced reasoning why the S4 is a better phone for YOU instead of living in a dreamland where the phone you bought is better for everybody. You can't make a thread that is ostensibly a thread to help potential buyers sort out their options that is actually just you trying to make sure nobody buys the competing phone. There was someone in this thread that wrote about the reason he/she went with S4 and he/she did it without slamming the competitor and I would say he/she picked the right one for him/her.

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
only difference is that the HTC One is 468 pixels per inch, while the S4 is 441 pixels per inch.
BOTH phones have a nice display... however.... put them side by side and the HTC One really shines here. MUCH cleaner, crisper screen. If you don't compare them side by side and you just look at the s4 sure it will look nice. There is only so much the human eye can decipher. At some point more pixels is meaningless to your eye. Having said that I DID compare both screens because having the best display a BIG deal for my needs. That was the straw that broke the camels back and I got rid on my S4 and got the HTC One Dev Edition immediately. I am MUCH happier with the HTC One than I ever was with the s4, but again, you really need to compare them in person to understand. An internet comparison isn't fair to either phone.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Okay, can we close and lock this thread now...I'm all for debate, not more **** measuring though. You all take this **** way too seriously, none of you have any skin in the game here and have resorted to insulting each other and changing the subject when you dont like the one you're on way too many times, all because you want to prove that you spent an insanely nothing amount of money on a smartphone that you'll use for the next year or two (maybe)...

Posted via Android Central App

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Team shiny vampire losses 1 point for...

In order for you to like your device, someone else's choice doesn't have to be bad.

Transmitted through spacetime.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I consider myself to be a total geek when it comes to technology, especially smartphones. I spent time with both the Galaxy S4 and HTC One before making my final decision and I must say that final decision was quite an easy one after spending time with both phones. I am not going to talk negatively about the HTC One because it is a great choice and phone but in my honest opinion it just doesn't compare to the Galaxy S4. To sum things up:

HTC One Pros:
1. Build Quality - There is no question that the aluminum body of the HTC One is beautiful
2. Better screen brightness - It was easier to see the screen on the HTC One when outside on a sunny day

Samsung Galaxy S4 Pros:
1. Superior UI
2. Camera - The HTC One may compete with the Galaxy S4 on low light photos but in general the camera technology in the S4 is much better and takes more realistic photos
3. Removable battery - If the camera at some point becomes defective then simply swap it out! If the camera becomes defective in the HTC One you are looking at a pricey repair by a technician.
4. SD Slot - Who doesn't like having the option of additional storage?
5. Removable back cover - I actually like this about the S4 and for a few reasons. It is well known that the S4 is quite easy to open and repair if need be AND if the back cover gets marked up and you are OCD like me then you can simply replace it.
6. Air Motions - Yes, some are gimmicky but some are quite useful. I have answered the phone while cooking by waving at the sensor and hovered over my screen to check notifications several times.

At the end of the day the only thing the HTC One may have over the Galaxy S4 (in the minds of some) is the build quality BUT keep this in mind. The majority of us put our phones in cases such as Otterbox and when we are doing that the phone is protected and the materials don't really matter. If you are one to use your phone naked then I can see you loving the HTC One but other than that I just couldn't see recommending the HTC One over the Galaxy S4. I am not just saying that because I own an S4, I did spend time with both before making my decision and will still say that the HTC One is a great choice for those who go with it. For me, the tech geek who likes the best of the best I will keep my S4 :)

Great write up except one thing
Um, what does aluminum have to do with build quality?

It sounds like you're confusing build quality with build materials like so many others

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
search in google much?

Of course! THAT'S what it's for. Might want to try it some time. LOL...

There's like 5 replies to each thread
Again, you really should try searching sometime. I could have posted PLENTY of more links with complaints about dead pixels on the s4, but I was hoping that you'd "get the point" with those 3 links. Guess I should have known that a fanboy like yourself will only see what they want to see. Fortunately there are plenty of open-minded people reading this thread who won't glass it over the facts like you did.

the HTC thread you will see the several pages of people complaining
You might want to learn that stuck pixels are NOT the same thing as dead pixels. LOL.... try again.

BTW, for both phones this is really a non-issue because of a little thing called a warranty. Imagine that.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Um, what does aluminum have to do with build quality?

While quality and materials are definitely different things, materials could contribute to quality if engineering is equal (nearly impossible), then a "better" material would obviously give the edge to that device... however, when speaking about aluminum versus plastic, one is forced to ask, "better for what?" Like all design choices, there are pros and cons that must be weighed and the choice of material is just so.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
BOTH phones have a nice display... however.... put them side by side and the HTC One really shines here. MUCH cleaner, crisper screen. If you don't compare them side by side and you just look at the s4 sure it will look nice. There is only so much the human eye can decipher. At some point more pixels is meaningless to your eye. Having said that I DID compare both screens because having the best display a BIG deal for my needs. That was the straw that broke the camels back and I got rid on my S4 and got the HTC One Dev Edition immediately. I am MUCH happier with the HTC One than I ever was with the s4, but again, you really need to compare them in person to understand. An internet comparison isn't fair to either phone.

I did compare both side by side before buying my S4 and now I keep doing it, as 2 of my coworkers have the HTC One, and once they saw mine set as Standard or Movie Display with the perfect Brightness combination, they both are looking to sell their One to buy the S4, so there you see, opinions are just that, opinions, what for you is better, it may be quite the opposite for others. Plus, I never felt at home with the One, the Odd buttons layout and the UI are too strange for me. So, in my opinion, S4 display is a lot better than the One's and that's one of the may other little things that made me get the S4, meaning, Removable Battery, SD Slot, AirGestures, 13MP cameras with tons of options, and I can't forget the out of the box 4.2.2 JB.

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Again, you really should try searching sometime. I could have posted PLENTY of more links with complaints about dead pixels on the s4, but I was hoping that you'd "get the point" with those 3 links. Guess I should have known that a fanboy like yourself will only see what they want to see. Fortunately there are plenty of open-minded people reading this thread who won't glass it over the facts like you did.

You might want to learn that stuck pixels are NOT the same thing as dead pixels. LOL.... try again.

BTW, for both phones this is really a non-issue because of a little thing called a warranty. Imagine that.

What's this...?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=269052

Oh yeah the most recent thread on dead pixels on HTC forum. I am not a fanboy of any phones. In fact I think both HTC One and S4 is a great phone. But if you want to talk about dead pixels and make a huge deal out of it I'll have you know I didn't even have to search it. It was on the most recent post list...how convenient.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site

Fanboy? You started the discussion and I could have just as easily looked up tons of pages.

GS4 Love

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I like the S4 owner defending the one. Cause then you know there's no discrimination there. Thanks for the back up !

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Because it's a open forum and I just was chipping in my 2 cents. There is still reasonable posts within the thread but alot of bad ones as well. So again I still like to read the forum as I go from top to bottom.. So that's why I read.

Again.. If you don't like my 2 cents just do as you said and ignore it :beer::)

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Can't say I didn't try.

Last edited:

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Not a chance. I own and use both and frequently compare the 2 running the same app or content. Because of the S4's superior blacks and super saturated colors it is hands down better for gaming and most most media content. Where the One shines is in clear, bright whites. Therefore, I find webbrowsing on the One to be better because the white is whiter.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
They can say what they want but the S4 is obviously more popular than the ONE.

Roflmao popularity has nothing to do with being the best at anything.
So everyone run out and buy a McDonald's hamburger since it's what you see on TV everyday and everyone wants one!
Wait let's go grab a iphone because of course it's Apple..
This has been covered so many times....
To everyone that owns a s4 I want to congratulate for having the most popular android phone of 2013....
Because it must be the best when that many people are all buying it...... Right?
Right everyone?..... Look around.... Who's with me?

Now in all seriousness.. What is the best for you may be different than what's the best for me.. There is no proven winner or loser.. I think they are both great phones! So much so that I own the one and my wife owns a s4.. That's why posts like this are ridiculous.. Trying to dog out a phone for short comings when there are clear differences and that's Ok folks...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.