Why I Bought The Galaxy S4 Over The HTC One

Status
Not open for further replies.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Great write up except one thing
Um, what does aluminum have to do with build quality?

It sounds like you're confusing build quality with build materials like so many others

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Go back and read the other posts on this thread. The One has both better build materials and better build quality.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Um, what does aluminum have to do with build quality?
It has to do with materials VS. application. You don't see many plastic cars do you? Saturn tried it and they went out of business because no one wanted one. There are many high strength plastics available today but what material do you think most cars chassis are made out of? I'll give you a clue, it's NOT plastic. And what about computers? Ask yourself why did Apple spend millions of dollars researching materials, and then decided upon using aluminum for their new Macbook Pros? For electronics there are so many advantages of this material over cheap plastic. And speaking of advantages, see many plastic heat-sinks? Didn't think so. There's a reason for that. Plastic and heat don't get along very well. There's also the social interpretations of the materials. Most people associate plastic with toys, and aluminum with higher-end products because it's generally felt to be more elegant. Aluminum is also a more "green" material as plastic is made with petroleum. Aluminum also is more efficient to recycle than plastic. Once the aluminum has been produced, it can be recycled over and over again.

When you use the term 'build quality' it can mean many things. Design is also a big part of build quality. So is longevity. A
luminum will out do plastic every time in the longevity department. If you were a manufacture and your concern was making more profit, then plastic would be what you prefer. If, however, you wanted to portray that your product was classy and
elegant, then you'd do as Apple has and choose aluminum. The final nail in the coffin for those samslum plastic lovers is that samsung has themselves decided to move AWAY from plastic, and the next S5 will be similar to the HTC One and use Aluminum. The s4 fanboys have no answer for that one.

once they saw mine set as Standard or Movie Display with the perfect Brightness combination
Having a better display is one reason I got rid of my s4 and switched to the HTC One. If you know someone who thinks the s4 looks better - then they don't need a smartphone, they need an ophthalmologist. Can the s4 even display true white? Not really. The word "better" is usually subjective, BUT when it comes to displays there is NO DOUBT that the HTC One smokes the s4 and is much superior. Read 'em and weep;

Guess you won't be showing THAT video to your friends at work. LOL :p

13MP cameras.
Marketing departments must love you :) MP are meaningless these days. The majority of camera comparisons between these two phones show that the HTC one takes better pictures. For most people, that's what's really important, the end result, but by all means you enjoy your mega pixels. LOL :D

The bottom line of S4 VS. HTC One.... Samsung spends LOTS more money in marketing. Some people fall for that marketing. I'm happy for them, but when they try to push their 'junk science' it simply can't hold water.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Great video return_0. Thanks for posting it.

I had to laugh when I heard them bending the s4. It sounded like someone was walking on corn flakes. LOL :D

Wait for it.... Someone will post that the cracking and creaking sounds are engineered into the phone. The flex is a design trait to help withstand falls more. It couldnt have anything to do with an inferior product

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Roflmao popularity has nothing to do with being the best at anything.
So everyone run out and buy a McDonald's hamburger since it's what you see on TV everyday and everyone wants one!
Wait let's go grab a iphone because of course it's Apple..
This has been covered so many times....
To everyone that owns a s4 I want to congratulate for having the most popular android phone of 2013....
Because it must be the best when that many people are all buying it...... Right?
Right everyone?..... Look around.... Who's with me?

Now in all seriousness.. What is the best for you may be different than what's the best for me.. There is no proven winner or loser.. I think they are both great phones! So much so that I own the one and my wife owns a s4.. That's why posts like this are ridiculous.. Trying to dog out a phone for short comings when there are clear differences and that's Ok folks...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Um, I'll take a shot at this. You do realize that compared to other fast food hamburger restaurants in the US McDonalds is the best. You are comparing the entire universe of restaurants to McDonalds and trying to show sales numbers mean nothing. El mistake o!. In their niche they are the best. You make the mistakes so many people here make in trying to base your arguments on false assumptions. The iPhone and the S4 are close in sales numbers but they far out pace the HTC One. So yeah, they are the best in their genre. Next time consider that if something sells massively better that its competitor IN THE SAME CATEGORY then it is the best. And before you make another mistake comparing Ferrari to the Ford Focus or Rolex watches to Casio think about the folly of using dissimilar items in a comparative study. Here's an example There are far more insects in the world than primates. Ergo,insects must be the higher life form. See it doesn't work the way. OK, I gave it a shot.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
He didn't break the screen because he doesn't want a broken S4. If you watched the video, you would notice that he was only applying 50% pressure and that he said if he applied more the S4 would break (while the One didn't). If the S4 breaks far easier than the One, it means it has inferior build quality. If you refuse to accept that, all of your points about the One mean nothing.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/288273-cracked-my-htc-one-screen.html
Uh Oh, build quality issue. Oh wait, it's an HTC ONE. Well, that's embarrassing. ;)

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Lol. My wife's s4 has a dead pixel. Shall I take a photo for you or would that just make your head explode :p

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Are you seriously offering a photo of your wife that would make that guys head explode??? :eek: just kidding

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/288273-cracked-my-htc-one-screen.html
Uh Oh, build quality issue. Oh wait, it's an HTC ONE. Well, that's embarrassing. ;)

Tohio, you are smart enough to know that a cracked screen on a phone is not a build quality issue, but rather a user neglect issue. I could drop an s4 on the right surface at the right angle and I'm sure it too would shatter the screen.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Thread done. After that video, jeez. That bending video kinda made me embarrassed for S4 owners. But really if the phone actually lasts 2 years and you're not a clumsy *** who cares it has it perks. I can say when I spend $650 on a phone retail, I wouldn't want it to sound like that at all.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Johnny Roberts

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Ugh... Really guys? Posting comparison videos as some sort of smoking gun pissing contest is the ultimate in desperation. I mean really guys. This is beyond geekdom.

My s2 had the same build quality, and I just sold it in perfect condition after 3 years.

#fail

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Tohio, you are smart enough to know that a cracked screen on a phone is not a build quality issue, but rather a user neglect issue. I could drop an s4 on the right surface at the right angle and I'm sure it too would shatter the screen.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2

Jennifer, couldn't agree more. I was using the quoted thread as counterpoint to the posts by return_0. He believes screen breakage is a build quality issue, read his post #95 in this thread. Also peruse my posts and you will see that I definitely do not think screen breakage is a build quality issue.

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
You do realize that compared to other fast food hamburger restaurants in the US McDonalds is the best.
Well THAT'S not opinionated. LOL...

The iPhone and the S4 are close in sales numbers but they far out pace the HTC One
ONLY because HTC had a hard time getting parts in the beginning. Personally sales figures to me don't mean squat. I could care less what some 16 year old buys (because their friends think it's cool). I want the best product, period. A million lemmings might think that brand X is great but if it's really junk then I won't buy it.

Next time consider that if something sells massively better that its competitor IN THE SAME CATEGORY then it is the best.
Not true. You must have owned a Corvair. LOL...

There are far more insects in the world than primates. Ergo,insects must be the higher life form.
No, but they add a lot of crunch to your peanut butter....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1