Galaxy S4: Is a glass screen protector really worth it?

N7Ascension

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if I should invest in a glass screen protector that Spigen provides (Link Below) however I'm not really sure if it's really worth it. I've heard stuff such as the screen sensitivity/responsiveness is affected (Even if by little) and that there is no cutout for the front facing camera so it is blurry than usual. Then of course there's the fear of air bubbles and messing up the screen but not applying it correctly/symmetrically. On top of all this, it has a pretty hefty price. So what do you guys think? Should is it worth it or should I keep my phone the way it is? All advice's appreciated!

Galaxy S4 Screen Protector GLAS.t NANO SLIM Premium Tempered Glass - GALAXY S4 - Samsung - Cell Phones | SPIGEN SGP

Last edited by a moderator:

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is a glass screen protector really worth it?

I'm not sure what the big advantage of is really is. For $35 you can get around 9 of the normal, plastic ones and I've never had them scratch up so fast that I need to replace them anywhere near that many times. The 3 I get for $10 have always lasted me through the life of the phone and I usually have one left.

dougc405

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

I'm happy with the Spigen protector, but I have not tried the front-facing camera. I don't sense any loss of sensitivity. I do like the feel of the glass. The Otterbox protector I had on my Vibrant had a decent tactile feel, but nothing like the Spigen. I thought it was odd that Spigen included overlays for the home button until I tried to press the button. The glass is thick enough that the button feels recessed without the overlay.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Im debating on this as well. I have tried a few cases and even with a lip around the edge if you drop the phone on an uneven surface it could crack the screen. That is what I am most worried about, happened to my last phone and it had a pretty durable case on it.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

I debated this long and hard as well. I have had phones with and without screen protectors. I have used several different types from inexpensive to quite expensive such as Zagg. Couldn't really decide whether to get one or not for my S4 until this past weekend when I finally decided to add one. I bought the Zagg. Loved it but was disappointed when I discovered some small particles caught between it and the screen, drove me crazy. Also the tactile feel was just not quite right, kinda draggy not slick like the glass screen. Ended up ordering a Spigen Glas tr. got that one because it has the rounded edge, a little thicker but got great reviews. Received it today and installed it. It's is my all time favorite screen protector. Very slick feel, screen responsiveness seems unchanged for me and I have checked the front facing camera and can see no difference in clarity.

My thoughts about getting this screen protector is like many have said, if I drop the phone on an uneven surface, even with good cases, it is likely to break the screen. Well I would rather break this screen protector for a cost of $35 than an LCD screen for who knows how much. I'm hoping the screen protector would take the blow and save my screen. I figure that's money we'll spent if I can save my screen. On a side note I tried a couple of cases, a cruzerlite tpu (currently on the phone) and a neo hybrid and both fit fine with no issues with the Glas tr on the phone.

TreeSpooner

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I just ordered the Spigen glass.t nano. It's my first tempered glass protector and yes it's pricey, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I'll update once I've installed it.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site

I'd say it's worth it. Feels just like the naked screen and resists scratches and smudges. When i get too many scratches on my moshi ivisor XT it will try the spigen glas.tr

A friend at work has the spigen on her iPhone and it is awesome.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

In all the threads this subject has come up, I have yet to read a comment from someone who wishes they didn't get a Glas.t

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I've never used them and I've been fine.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

schmoli

May 1, 2013
Visit site

Not sure if they have any left but they had a special for $39.99 you got a Glas.t AND a Slim Armor... kinda made it feel less bad paying that much... which I had gotten in on it fast enough to get the Red case.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site

In all the threads this subject has come up, I have yet to read a comment from someone who wishes they didn't get a Glas.t

Posted via Android Central App

My single concern getting a glass screen protector is installation. That's a chunk if change to mess up. And I install screen protectors every day for customers in the service dept of an electronics retailer. I do iPads and tablets and phones and very well. But when I eventually get one of the spigen protectors for my phone, I will be stressing over getting it perfect.

N7Ascension

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

My single concern getting a glass screen protector is installation. That's a chunk if change to mess up. And I install screen protectors every day for customers in the service dept of an electronics retailer. I do iPads and tablets and phones and very well. But when I eventually get one of the spigen protectors for my phone, I will be stressing over getting it perfect.

Ah, well that's the thing. I have installed regular screen protectors before and I remember stressing out on it alot. Although I've heard that these glass screens are not as stressful with the whole air bubble and alignment, I still think I'll mess it up :/

frekiluv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

If I recall correctly glass protectors should be easier to install. Most glass protectors, Spigen included, only have adhesive on the outer area of protector (parts that have solid color). The clear part has no adhesive. This is because of air bubble issues. i have also read that this creates a 'watermark' issue with some users. So, instead of finding a method to fix it most, if not all, just cover it up. This is just some info off the top of my head that I remember reading from various articles/forums. I may have recalled some details incerrectly so correct me if im wrong. However, I think the jist is accurate.

... Your Mummy is a Zombie.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

IMO it is, said it many times I don't care if it's Gorilla Glass 2 or 3. IT WILL GET SCRATCHED!

The Nillkin Screen Protector that comes with the Case is amazing, it cost me less than $10 for BOTH. I used to spend $20, $30 on it and thought WTF am I doing, there's no reason to spend more than $10 on it, I'm not being cheap either, I did try those $2 on eBay and lasted a week.

shokuchi

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

I bought a "CAPDASE Professional Screen Guard iXiMAG 'Superb Transparency&Anti-Glare, Fingerprint & Grease Resistance" for my Galaxy tab - 2.5 years ago. It's still on there and in great condition, The anti-glare bit is golden. Sitting on the train everyday for commuting, having the glare from the window behind me cut down dramatically is hugely beneficial. If you use you phone outside a lot or under bright lights it's definitely worth considering.

I have had and other brands over the years on different devices, but capdase make great screen protectors, easy to remove and put back on if needed. Very durable.

Micro-solution - pro guard: is beautiful,a hardly notice its there protector, but weak and easily damaged.

JawjaBill

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

I've been using them since the GS3. It feels exactly like the screen, does not easily scratch, does not peel up on the edges, does not collect fingerprints, provides impact protection to the screen and convinces you it is not a screen protector. I took the dive initially because I spent $25+ on Zagg HD and within weeks was requesting a replacement. If you are willing to pay for a mid to high end PET protector, it is a no brainer to go tempered glass. I used the Xgear on my S3 and currently use the iloome product on my S4.

If you decide to take the plunge, be sure to note that there are 2 main offerings, straight edge and curved in different thicknesses. Straight edge is good for cased phones and curved is must for naked because the edges are the weak link in tempered glass protectors.

Last edited:

david1357y

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

Having screen protector or not it's depend on personal preference.

Some people may need some layer of function on their screen such as mirror, privacy or anti-glare screen protector.

Some people prefer the feel and touch of the phone screen without protector.

Some people love to see the beauty of their phone perfectly without scratch.

Some people think why need protector if their screen is gorilla glass 3.

Any other concern it may depend on the quality of screen protector.

By my experience without case and screen with iPhone 5, htc One, GS4, Lumia 920 and iPad, is that at the end of the day I see random tiny hair line of scratch even on the gorilla glass 3 of GS4. The scratch cannot be seen during normal usage, but can be notice when screen turn off and view with the reflection of bright light.

Additionally there are many screen scratch test with knife and car key on YouTube. However by physics, what ever harder than the screen will scratch it. So in daily usage we may contact our screen with sand or anything. That's why at the end there always scratch if not use protector.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37