Why is Google Maps eating a large amount of my battery on my S4? This didn't happen on my Droid Razr. Is there a fix besides a factory reset?
    06-19-2013 02:32 PM
    Well the droid razr has an extraordinary battery life that the s4 doesn't have so maybe that's why?

Posted via Android Central App
    06-19-2013 03:45 PM
    The easiest thing to try is to uninstall updates for Google Maps and see if that helps. It seemed to fix it for me and others. I don't like giving weird advice like that without knowing what's really going on, but it's such an quick and easy process with no down side that it's worth trying. Go to Settings>More>Application Manager. Then swipe over to "All," find Maps, tap on it and then hit "Uninstall Updates."

Another theory is that Google Now takes a little while to learn your routine and then scales back how often it checks on what you're doing.

The Qualcomm BatteryGuru app might help, too. I've done all three of those and my Maps usage has gone way down despite me still having location based services like Google Now and some Tasker profiles active. The uninstalling updates for Maps seemed to work right away, though.
    06-19-2013 04:07 PM
    I'd really love to get a definitive answer to this, too. I've had my phone for almost 3 weeks. Looking at my usage right now, I've been on battery for 15h 5m. My #1 consumer is Maps, at 19%. And I haven't even opened Maps today (except to open it and hit Back until I exited out, which only took 1 press)!

On the plus side, I'm still at 40% battery! So, if I could get the Maps usage down to something reasonable, my battery life would be incredible!
    06-19-2013 08:26 PM
    There is no definitive answer nobody knows. I have the same problem too.

Sent from my SCH-I545
    06-19-2013 09:15 PM
    Pretty sure it is Google Now and how it always wants your location. Since disabling Google now Maps doesn't even show on my battery usage at all.
    06-19-2013 10:34 PM
    Worked immediately. I had received a notification of an update dated August 7, but it wouldn't load. Now, until it says, "repaired battery drain" I'm not updating!
    08-08-2013 12:26 PM
    If google now is activated then this is the caused. Maps in the main app needed for location reporting and Google now needs it for that purpose. If google now is not on, then check the location reporting services settings with Maps. I have little to no usage from Google maps on my phone because I have location reporting off.
    08-08-2013 01:56 PM