Palm Touchstone Inductive Charging Galaxy S4

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Since I already have a couple Palm touchstone chargers from Palm phones I used to have I decided to give this inductive film a try.

Current price is $25 shipped. Palm touchstones are as low as $15 new.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=121105143897

It comes with a clear bumper case which allows the back to be open but I won't use it. I don't recommend using cases like this that have hard surfaces because they will scratch the phone over time. I got a Belkin Surround case for this very reason. Open back and rubber inside ring.

20130620_174826_zpsea093e81.jpg

20130620_175216_zpsae91567d.jpg

20130620_175229_zps5f213660.jpg

This is the case I have for it.

DSCN5300_zpsb253ec2d.jpg

Line it up and you're good to go.

DSCN5302_zps52f1e568.jpg

This is my charger in my car.

DSCN5304_zps8a10bc72.jpg

Place the phone on the charger and you'll get a notification of wireless charging.
DSCN5308_zpsecacfff7.jpg

Charge rate is 640mA. Which is decent. Should be good enough to keep the phone charged while using GPS.

DSCN5307_zpsc6b684b5.jpg

Pros:
No more fiddling with cables at night by the bed or in the car driving.

No port wear on the USB port (I have a micro usb and 3.5mm headphone plug set on the way to keep dust out of the ports)

Cons:

Makes a slight bulge in the case. Not too bad.

DSCN5310_zps1155143c.jpg

Charge rate not as good as with the stock charger but still better than alot of generic chargers and better than usb.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Nice setup. Did you have to "tape" it down to the battery side? Or could one stick it to the back cover so it automatically connects when the cover is replaced after a battery change?

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Nice setup. Did you have to "tape" it down to the battery side? Or could one stick it to the back cover so it automatically connects when the cover is replaced after a battery change?

I didn't have to tape it down. I think just lining it up is easier to make sure the contacts are touching before putting the door on. Some of these kits already come installed in the door from what I've seen. But i didnt want to pay extra for another door.

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I taped mine to the back of the case, as I swap back covers depending on my schedule and travel. I also have the s-view cover that I use when travelling and its too thick, the magnets wont hold to the touchstone. The charge is slower than the stock charger, but quite acceptable.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Bravo!
I'm still trying to decide on the HTC One or the Galaxy S4.
If I go with the GS4 I might as well put to good use my 2 Palm TouchStones from my beloved Palm Prē!

"If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!"
~Doctor Who.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Bravo!
I'm still trying to decide on the HTC One or the Galaxy S4.
If I go with the GS4 I might as well put to good use my 2 Palm TouchStones from my beloved Palm Prē!

"If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!"
~Doctor Who.

May as well. I went and bought these plugs for my headphone jack and microusb port to keep dust and lint out now that I don't need to hardly use the usb port.

DSCN5345_zps3d29f0ad.jpg

DSCN5335_zps5319136d.jpg

DSCN5339_zps42faafc1.jpg

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Where'd you get those plugs?

~Doctor Who.

gypsyritsa

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm about to switch from my beloved Palm Pre to an Android phone, but so many things seem like steps backwards. Losing my touchstones were a part of that reluctance. Thanks, you just made me feel way better about the changeover!

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm about to switch from my beloved Palm Pre to an Android phone, but so many things seem like steps backwards. Losing my touchstones were a part of that reluctance. Thanks, you just made me feel way better about the changeover!

I feel like so much stuff Palm did eons ago ("apps", stylus, most amazing calender ever which I would buy as an app, accessory keyboards) and everyone else that gets the features now seems to think it's the best thing ever invented. I mean, how long did it take before Google modified the Google calendar app to let you set an end date for recurring appts? Miss Palm so much.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I know it's a shame how Palm was run into the ground. Imagine if HTC bought them back in 2010 and gave it the development and hardware it deserved.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
You guys are right! It's a shame! :mad:

I also had some difficulty transitioning from WebOS to Android as a full time user! Heck, I still try to change "cards" by swiping from one side to the other on the gesture area! Only to quickly find out my Photon doesn't have that gesture area :banghead: :D

Many things that Apple and others are bringing to the table were here already a while back thanks to Palm! And the worst is that a lot of people believe those features are new! :rolleyes:

~Doctor Who.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
You guys are right! It's a shame! :mad:

I also had some difficulty transitioning from WebOS to Android as a full time user! Heck, I still try to change "cards" by swiping from one side to the other on the gesture area! Only to quickly find out my Photon doesn't have that gesture area :banghead: :D

Many things that Apple and others are bringing to the table were here already a while back thanks to Palm! And the worst is that a lot of people believe those features are new! :rolleyes:

~Doctor Who.

Hello! Can we say touchscreen? Argh.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly flashed Sprint Galaxy Nexus with XenonHD

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello! Can we say touchscreen? Argh.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly flashed Sprint Galaxy Nexus with XenonHD

Sorry I'm not sure what you're saying exactly. Do you mean to say that a gesture area is unnecessary because you can use the touchscreen?

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I'm not sure what you're saying exactly. Do you mean to say that a gesture area is unnecessary because you can use the touchscreen?

I'm not sure what you're talking about now. :confused:

I'm saying Palm was the one that had touchscreens and everyone felt it was a joke that there was no physical keyboard and you had to use a stylus to type. Now look where we are. If they had developed their first phones to that standard instead of on the BlackBerry model, they might still exist.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what you're talking about now. :confused:

I'm saying Palm was the one that had touchscreens and everyone felt it was a joke that there was no physical keyboard and you had to use a stylus to type. Now look where we are. If they had developed their first phones to that standard instead of on the BlackBerry model, they might still exist.

They don't exist because HP ran Palm into the ground headfirst. There was a slab phone in development although the specs were only average.

7yre2y9e.jpg

4yta4e6y.jpg

Last edited:

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
:( I wish they would try that again. It looks just like my Gnex/Nexus line.

I guess I'm thinking even before that and they wouldn't have needed to be sold in the first place.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Yup! The Palm Prē 3!
Shame on Leo Idiotheker and stupid people at HP :banghead:

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I still have my beloved launch day Palm Prē!
Will never get rid of it, it's tangible history!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton