07-02-2013 10:50 PM
26 12
tools
    So its been a week since i got the S4 and switched from the iPhone and i have to say i couldn't be happier. The battery seems to have settled in, i'm getting a full day with around 25% left at around 12am. I have customised the phone to my own liking and i find this an enjoyable experience, the learning curve is also an enjoyable one (and one i'm still learning). The features offered on the phone i find work well, i use Airview and the smart screen features. The camera seems to be working great (better than my iPhone 4S) but i will test this better next week at my best friends birthday party.

The only thing i do have a little trouble with (and its a small issue really) is sound management. When going into settings, my device then sound and then tapping on the volume tab which brings up the the list of sound (Music, Ringtone, Notifications, System) I turn up the volume on music, ringtone and all the other tabs, tap ok and leave the settings, but then if i go back into the sound settings its changed back to what it was before i changed it. Seems a little odd and maybe its something i'm doing wrong :-/

For all those people who are apprehensive about switching from iPhone (or any other phone really) to the S4, i would highly recommend the S4. I was also apprehensive at first but i'm loving the S4 and its many, many customisable options. It may sound silly but i feel free compared to when i was using an iPhone.
    06-21-2013 04:30 AM
    Welcome to Android Dave and congrats on your choice of the S4.
    06-21-2013 06:29 AM
    Thank you, just thought i would share my experience after getting the S4. I know there may be a few iPhone users thinking about jumping to the S4.
    06-21-2013 06:40 AM
    Thank you, just thought i would share my experience after getting the S4. I know there may be a few iPhone users thinking about jumping to the S4.
    Maybe just s bug. I would email Samsung and your cell provider anyway.
    You shouldn't have to go into settings though. You can use the rocker button, snd when the vokume level comes up, there should be a slider and a settings button next to it. Click that and it will bring up all sounds.

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3
    06-21-2013 08:09 AM
    Maybe just s bug. I would email Samsung and your cell provider anyway.
    You shouldn't have to go into settings though. You can use the rocker button, snd when the vokume level comes up, there should be a slider and a settings button next to it. Click that and it will bring up all sounds.

Thanks for that i just learned that by holding down the rocker/slider on the side of the phone it brings up the sound settings. I was referring to the sound being automatically altered, even after i have changed it. So for example i try and turn the volume up to maximum, but if i go back into the settings its been turned down again.
    06-21-2013 08:27 AM
    Thanks for that i just learned that by holding down the rocker/slider on the side of the phone it brings up the sound settings. I was referring to the sound being automatically altered, even after i have changed it. So for example i try and turn the volume up to maximum, but if i go back into the settings its been turned down again.
    I was just giving a little tip so you aren't digging through settings all the time.

dave25A likes this.
    06-21-2013 10:45 AM
    thanks for sharing. about to make a switch this weekend and very torn between HTC One and GS4!
    dave25A and redimpala01 like this.
    06-21-2013 12:25 PM
    I use the app audio manager to control all of my sounds from one place. I always turn the system settings to 0%.

Congrats on the new S4! Be on the guard for iRS...(iPhone Relapse Syndrome) lol!
    Attached Thumbnails One week later.....-screenshot_2013-06-21-13-30-18.jpg  
    dave25A likes this.
    06-21-2013 01:30 PM
    Above post reported. Sorry for that new Android user dave25A.
    Glad you made that post. I have several iPhone friends nervous about swapping over.
    This might help.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    dave25A and redimpala01 like this.
    06-21-2013 04:39 PM
    Could u be accidentally pressing the volume buttons?

from what ever phone I feel like using today.
    06-21-2013 04:41 PM
    Coming from an iPhone 4S. I can't imagine going back to a screen that's a lot smaller than the GS4. Games, videos, Twitter...all just seem better on a larger, sharper screen. And don't worry about the phone being too big. It fits fine in my hand and I have no issues texting, scrolling, navigating, etc. on the bigger real estate.
    06-21-2013 05:06 PM
    Thanks guys for the nice and positive comments :-) my intention with this thread is to share my experience. I think a lot of iPhone users do get worried about switching (i know i did). But after taking the plunge and buying the S4 i found it better and more enjoyable than i originally thought i would.
    06-22-2013 09:17 AM
    Thanks guys for the nice and positive comments :-) my intention with this thread is to share my experience. I think a lot of iPhone users do get worried about switching (i know i did). But after taking the plunge and buying the S4 i found it better and more enjoyable than i originally thought i would.
    Glad you are liking the device. Keep an eye out for forums of other people trying to switch. You can offer a unique point of view that some of us can't.

06-22-2013 10:25 PM
    ya, i was an iphone fan, but the only thing i am not liking about android no support, like apps to make your life better i seen one app for iphone it unlocks your the door to your house or start your car. and the docking is better with apple,

to the op i am glad you switched, i see apple's market for older people that want something thats easy to use. and i am looking forward to my new phone
    06-23-2013 02:00 AM
    I am there myself. Purchased my S4 after extensive research and testing this past Tuesday. I managed to totally get most of my stuff converted and am swimming along nicely. The only issues so far are as follows:

VCF migration when someone with an iPhone or iPad sends me a contact. It will not open and I am still trying to find an acceptable workaround.
    Google play. Why the heck does google insist on all my music going in to the devices memory. I bought a 32 gig class 10 SD card specifically to push my data too... Come on guys I know all the HTC one users are storage limited but please let me download my library...
    Battery life stinks right now. However I think it is slowly getting better as time moves forward.

Other than those trifling things my switch has been wonderful. The phone is superbly crafted. Yes it has a plastic back, but it is removable and the expansion cards are terrific. My old iPhone that I willed to my daughter now feels like a toy. iOS is a joke..

Air gestures and motions are great parlor tricks. The camera's detail and pixel count are going to be difficult to beat in full light. Overall I am ecstatic and now thinking of changing out my tablet at Christmas Time this year...
    06-23-2013 04:08 PM
    Good to see more and more folks like yourself coming over to Android. I know a lot of friends I have had a hand in converting, and when they look back they are blown away by the lack of customization the iPhone has, and don't even get me started on how proprietary they are and the lack of expandability
    06-23-2013 07:16 PM
    Good to see more and more folks like yourself coming over to Android. I know a lot of friends I have had a hand in converting, and when they look back they are blown away by the lack of customization the iPhone has, and don't even get me started on how proprietary they are and the lack of expandability
    Agreed. Crazy to think a month ago I thought changing my wallpaper, making ringtones and making new folders on my iphone was customization.. Lol thank heavens android came into my life.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app
    RisaChan likes this.
    06-23-2013 09:18 PM
    I could not agree more with the OP. Still have my Iphone 5, but there is no question in my mind the S4 is the best phone I have owned to date. Previously, I also had a Samsung Nexus, which I was very underwhelmed about. In my view that phone was over-rated. However, the S4 exceeds my expectation

Apple has a lot of work to do, and a new IOS7 or Iphone 5s is not going to be enough to take the lead back. They are going to have to exceed expectations, or they will be number2 or worse

Excellent phone Samsung
    06-23-2013 09:45 PM
    I could not agree more with the OP. Still have my Iphone 5, but there is no question in my mind the S4 is the best phone I have owned to date. Previously, I also had a Samsung Nexus, which I was very underwhelmed about. In my view that phone was over-rated. However, the S4 exceeds my expectation

Apple has a lot of work to do, and a new IOS7 or Iphone 5s is not going to be enough to take the lead back. They are going to have to exceed expectations, or they will be number2 or worse

Excellent phone Samsung
    What Apple is turning into is exactly what happened to RIM. They keep on bringing out the same product again and again, and all others are overtaking them.
    No matter what iPhones will always be a phone for average people that don't want the hassle of using their brains. No offense, that was not meant to be a rude
    comment. It was just true. An iPhone is meant for a 50 year old woman, that doesn't want to learn technology. At the same time it's also for a teen or someone that
    doens't care about having massive customization ability.
    BUT it's still proprietary.
    This dude wrote an amazing article that pretty much sums it up if you care to read.
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/10471104...ts/3rweWfMhfzd
    ihbsbA likes this.
    06-24-2013 06:53 AM
    I too have had my new s4 for around a week. I have sadly been through almost every phone Verizon sells and I always end up going back to iPhone. I switched from an iPhone 5 because I was tired of apple telling me what I could and couldn't do on my iPhone. For every iPhone user that is scared to make the jump, just do it! From what I can tell so far this phone is the most stable android phone I've ever used. The battery life is a good bit better than my i5. I tried the s3 before my i5 and hated it. This really is a remarkable device that deserves plenty of attention. Even if you don't like the phone it has the highest resale value of any cell phone at the moment so you could always sell it and get something else.
    06-30-2013 09:56 AM
    I sold my old Razr Maxx on Craigslist to a guy who had an iPhone 5 and was sick of his iPhone and was putting it up for sale on Ebay. He said it's funny how the tables have turned. A few years ago he had an Android and everyone at his table laughed at him. Now, they look around and if anyone sees people, especially young people, with an iPhone, they sorta laugh. Call em old. lol.
    My salesman at BBuy the other day had an iPhone and his girlfriend walked up and said she felt sorry for him. She had an S4 like mine. HE said he wanted to trade out of his iphone but his contract wasn't ready.
    BBuy had a HUGE, 3-4X the Apple section, devoted to Samsung products with people all in it. The Apple cart had maybe 2 roaming around.
    My office mate is looking to move outta her iPhone to an S4.
    i have a buddy moving outta Apple to S4.
    These are just in my lil world.
    I wouldn't buy Apple stock right now.
    06-30-2013 10:25 AM
    I too came from the iPhone 4s to the GS4 when the GS4 came out and best choose. I am glad you enjoying your phone.
    06-30-2013 11:24 AM
    Good to hear this. I'm actually a current iPhone 4s user. Ordered my S4 on thursday. Should be coming in tomorrow. I've been debating a move to android for a while and liked the S4. Finally made the jump with the awesome 50% off online deal ATT was running.

I actually had a HTC Evo way back in the Gingerbread days. Honestly I hated it. I've always liked my iPhone 4s but the one thing I did miss about android was the openness of the OS. None of this having to do everything through iTunes. So after reading up on Android and seeing that it has improved a lot since Ice Cream Sandwich I had wondered if I should try it again.

So I'm anxiously waiting for my new phone. Hopefully my experience goes as well as the OP.
    06-30-2013 11:40 AM
    Good to hear this. I'm actually a current iPhone 4s user. Ordered my S4 on thursday. Should be coming in tomorrow. I've been debating a move to android for a while and liked the S4. Finally made the jump with the awesome 50% off online deal ATT was running.

I actually had a HTC Evo way back in the Gingerbread days. Honestly I hated it. I've always liked my iPhone 4s but the one thing I did miss about android was the openness of the OS. None of this having to do everything through iTunes. So after reading up on Android and seeing that it has improved a lot since Ice Cream Sandwich I had wondered if I should try it again.

So I'm anxiously waiting for my new phone. Hopefully my experience goes as well as the OP.
    The whole platform has been somewhat streamlined since ICS. Let us know about your experience with the device.

Sent a long time ago from a Galaxy Tab 2 far, far away on AC forums
    07-02-2013 06:31 PM
    I also switched from the iPhone 4s to the Galaxy S4. Haven't looked back.

Sent from my SCH-I545
    07-02-2013 08:32 PM
26 12