Hard to hold one-handed, inadvertant input

johnrdennis

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I've had my S4 about 1 week and I'm close to my 14 day exchange period and I'm thinking about returning the phone due to one particularly frustrating problem. I like to hold the phone vertically in my right hand and use my thumb to swipe, tap, etc. But what I've discovered is the palm of my hand frequently activates the back button in the lower right corner. Or as my hand reaches over the surface of the phone it's inadvertently activating something else. The result is the UI is jumping to all sorts of unexpected places. I think this is the result of the large form factor and the location of the capacitive buttons. I realize there are two possible solutions 1) always hold the phone in two hands, 2) disable the capacitive buttons. Neither of these solutions appeals to me. I will also note I've disabled the air gestures. FWIW I had a conversation with the Verizon sales rep who said he had similar problems and switched to the iPhone 5 because the form factor of the S4 made it too difficult to use the phone one handed.

Is anybody else having usability problems like this?

Otherwise the phone is nice, but currently it's driving me nuts unless I adapt to holding it in what feels like an awkward manner (always two handed with fingers carefully placed)

tytlyf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I know what you mean and I believe it's just a habit of using the iphone and moving to this phone. I caught myself doing the same thing and now I have noticed that you just need to hold it by your fingers on the sides or in your palm with your fingers open and flat

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I think this is the result of the large form factor and the location of the capacitive buttons.
Don't forget the super sensitive touch panel. ;)

I get some unwanted screen taps on occasion when I'm going for the home button or settings button as well. I'll get whatever is next to them on the screen sometimes. It's just something you'll either need to get used to so you can avoid it or get a new phone. I prefer keeping the phone and learning to hold it slightly differently, but I do really like the phone so YMMV.

DeathsArrow

May 16, 2010
Visit site
It's a big phone and will take some getting used to. Coming from a 4" android phone, it's a monster. The One is the same size, not much option when it comes to flagship phones these days. It is what it is.

tytlyf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget that if you get some sort of case it will help with keeping your palms out of the way by giving you a little extra room.