Why does Google Play Music start automatically?

jensigner

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Why does Google Play music sometimes (often) start automatically in the background (as visible in Active applications) when I only launch Samsung's default Music player?

thehatguy

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Happens to me too.

I figured out, for example, if I was streaming in my car and just turned off the car, Google would start automatically regardless of what I launched.

If I turned off Google music, it would not be playing if I launched just the music player.

Odd, but that is how I found it to work.

John

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Don't have a clue, but I don't care for its persistence. The solution I've come to is disabling Play Music entirely, loaded my entire MP3 library onto a Samsung 32 GB microSD card, and I listen to my music through PlayerPro. It is a paid app (less than $5) but it has a terrific UI, wide range of options, lock screen widget, expandable notifications, and is very easy on battery life. You just have to make sure immediately after installing it that you go into the settings and de-select the "automatically download" album art option or else it'll start doing that in the background.

jensigner

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the comments. I decided to just disable Play Music completely (after removing its updates) and that seems to do the trick. I'm pretty happy with Samsung's default Music app which has really good support for DLNA (since it is Samsung) and nearby devices. I have a huge music database (.wav and MP3) on a Seagate Wireless Plus 1 Tb portable drive and that works perfectly with the Samsung Music app.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Google music was doing the same thing for me as well as Google Now searching location a lot. Both were causing a lot of battery drain so I disabled both a few weeks ago. I normally get a day and a half with my battery now. Funny how I disabled almost all Google apps on this phone and use the Samsung ones more frequently.

Alan Sims

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi same thing happens to me. I'm new to android could someone tell me how I can disable Google music please

Posted via Android Central App

jtdunc

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I spoke to samsung tech support and they stated it is checking for updates

when I asked about disabling, it was crickets on the phone

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi same thing happens to me. I'm new to android could someone tell me how I can disable Google music please

Posted via Android Central App
Got to settings>>>more>>>application manager and scroll down till you find Google play and disable it. I did it to mine cause it was eating my battery and use stock music player.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Got to settings>>>more>>>application manager and scroll down till you find Google play and disable it. I did it to mine cause it was eating my battery and use stock music player.

Really only a viable option if you don't use Google music at all. I use it a ton due to the streaming service.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I disabled mine too. Its actually very frustrating because their streaming service seemed very good. Not worth the battery drain though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I disabled mine too. Its actually very frustrating because their streaming service seemed very good. Not worth the battery drain though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

That is odd. On my S3 it didn't drain and on my HTC One it doesn't either (unless I am streaming from it of course).

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
That is odd. On my S3 it didn't drain and on my HTC One it doesn't either (unless I am streaming from it of course).

I have the S3 and there is no disabling Google Play Music. It always seems to come on even though I only use PowerAmp. Perhaps the music library is controlled by it?!?!

gok_kri

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
my google play music starts playing some random song after i dismiss my alarm
very funny:):D:p
i turn of the alarm or i snooze the alarm
and some song randomly starts playing
any solution for this:eek:
karbonn a18

CaptMarty

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
My Google Music app starts automatically about a minute or two after my Motorola Droid MAXX connects to my car's handsfree bluetooth.
I also recall Google Music app automatically starting at other times maybe it was when I started/stopped charging it using the wireless charging adapter?

I called Verizon support and they had not heard of this issue and recommended that I backup and do a factory reset.
This forced me to purchase the Verizon Cloud backup 25GB for $3/month to simplify the backup process.

Can anyone recommend a good FREE replacement music app that can play mp3 music uploaded from computer?

Handset: Motorola Droid MAXX
Android: 4.2.2
Verizon System Version: 12.7.7.obake-maxx_version.Verizon.en.US

BlastBlast

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Mine starts automatically after I disconnect a Bluetooth call with my office phone.

I would hate having to disable it as I LOVE the Google Music service and have been a heavy user since Beta.

I use the paid Slacker service for my on-demand streaming at the moment, although I considered moving to the Google service but haven't decided yet. This would clearly put a damper there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton