This is my second handset and I'm having the same issue. When I view the battery information (see screenshot) the GPS in constantly on, even though the GPS is off in the settings. I even restart the phone and it stays on. Taking the battery out and putting a different battery in turns it off, but then 5 minutes later it's back on. Even more strange, even though the 'meter' show the GPS as on, I don't actually think it's on as the battery doesn't seem to drain. Also, when this occurs, the GPS logo in the task bar does not appear, making me wonder if the GPS is working at all.

I exchanged my original handset (in part) due to this same issue. Now it's back. No settings or apps have been changed, it just started all of a sudden and I'm sure won't end (just like the first handset). On the original handset I did 2 resets and the issue came back after a half day or day. I've no idea what else to do.
    Attached Thumbnails GPS does not turn off (this is my second handset that does this)-screenshot_2013-06-21-22-46-35.jpg  
    06-21-2013 09:53 PM
    Sounds like bad luck to me. This is odd; I haven't heard of this happening to other S4 owners.
    06-21-2013 09:57 PM
    Turn off Location Services in Settings... Also turn off location history in Maps

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Exynos via Tapatalk 4... I LOVE THIS PHONE
    06-22-2013 03:50 AM
    Turn off Location Services in Settings... Also turn off location history in Maps

I have already done both. That's what I'm saying, GPS and ALL location settings are all off.
    06-22-2013 04:57 AM
    I think that so many apps have permission to access GPS that you are fighting a loosing battle. I would just embrace it and let it go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    06-22-2013 07:47 AM
    I think that so many apps have permission to access GPS that you are fighting a loosing battle. I would just embrace it and let it go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    You're not understanding. The GPS is off. Also, I'm noticing it's not properly getting my location wheni have it on. No matter what apps have permission,of it's of it shouldn't be used.
    06-22-2013 12:29 PM
    Hmmm I would try a factory reset
    Also turn off Google Now, because Google Now sometimes automatically turns it on
    06-22-2013 12:31 PM
    This same thing happened to me once last month. Solid on GPS usage with it off in settings. Not sure what I did to stop it but it hasn't done it since.
    06-22-2013 01:05 PM
    Hmmm I would try a factory reset
    Also turn off Google Now, because Google Now sometimes automatically turns it on
    never enabled Google now on this replacement handset and have done a reset.
    06-22-2013 02:08 PM
    I did another restore on this stupid thing. We'll see if I need a THIRD S4.
    06-22-2013 05:34 PM
    I find it unlikely that you have received 3 defective devices
    After this factory reset...turn every location service off and manage it for 3 days to give the stats time to update over sometime
    Also download "BetterBatteryStats"...an app which shows what exactly is running on your phone...download the app and use your phone for one day normally, and then check the app to see what processes and wakelocks are running on your phone
    06-22-2013 06:12 PM
    I find it unlikely that you have received 3 defective devices
    After this factory reset...turn every location service off and manage it for 3 days to give the stats time to update over sometime
    Also download "BetterBatteryStats"...an app which shows what exactly is running on your phone...download the app and use your phone for one day normally, and then check the app to see what processes and wakelocks are running on your phone
    I've only gotten 2 devices. I said "if" I need a third. I've done all of the trouble shooting 10x over with all the battery apps and tinkering and about 4 resets on 2 devices.
    06-22-2013 07:05 PM
    If you have done a check on every single setting ....one by one, I would go for the third one. Two things I would do: ask if the replacement is brand new or refurbished and or call your provider and have them take you through the troubleshooting if you are passed the grace period of exchanging it at the store.
    06-22-2013 07:43 PM
    I've only gotten 2 devices. I said "if" I need a third. I've done all of the trouble shooting 10x over with all the battery apps and tinkering and about 4 resets on 2 devices.
    Have u tried managing it for about a day without installing any 3rd party apps from the Play Store? Maybe it could be a 3rd party app trying to activate it somehow

06-22-2013 07:45 PM