Stylus for S4?

thecure13

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
It's so smooth, you don't have to push down at all on it. All my fears were put aside the moment I used it with sketchbook pro, plus with that program you can zoom and change the radius of the tool for even finer detail anyway.
I do a lot of high detail photo realistic stuff and I have no complaints. I haven't set it down yet.
Now if Sketchbook could just incorporate a floating color picker widget like the desktop version...
Lol that would be awesome!! Ordered me a case btw!!

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Oh cool, let me know what you think. I am super pleased with both case and pen, really great deal in my opinion. Very excited for you. If you hate it I'd like to hear that too.

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Hows the case it self? I might consider. The case since.it comes with a new pen to try. :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Just putting this out there. I ordered a 10 pack of stylus from ebay for 4 dollars.

They are a little tiny but they have been working wonderfully with the S4. The handwriting recognition is a little lackluster, but it is possible that is because I am a terrible writer.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered a case for my S4 and it came with a free c-pens.
Not sure what brand it is but it's amazing. It has a really large nib but I'm not seeing that being an issue at all as its drawing extremely fine lines in sketchbook pro.
I also have a zagg hd screen protector on and it still glides like glass with no issues.
It also has a hole through the faux clicker end that you can string through, having my daughter make me a necklace/lanyard for it.
Just saying if you are on the fence about buying one I would just do it. I can't believe I didn't buy one the first day I bought my phone, I'm actually using it now in swype to write this.
If you use the link and buy it, I received it in day 3 after ordering and the case is also quite nice.
Amazon.com: Ionic GUARDIAN Armor Case for Samsung Galaxy S4 S 4 SIV S IV/ New galaxy s4 2013 Model (AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon) (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

That's exactly the same pen they gave me for free when I bought my case and holster last week!

I got my GS4 on July 1st. On the 4th I ordered my case from Amazon (see the pics and link below), and it came with a cheap screen protector and the same pen you got.

So far that pen works great even with that screen protector they sent me.
And the case and holster are pretty darn good too!

As of matter of fact, today my GS4 survived a drop from about 4 feet high onto hard porcelain tile floor! That case saved it! No damage at all, and it landed face first :eek:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CJ...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2912244

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away

Attachments

• 1373512278862.jpg
    1373512278862.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 1373512291213.jpg
    1373512291213.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 1373512301273.jpg
    1373512301273.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 191

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I haven't tried any of the handwriting apps but am intrigued. Now that I have a better understanding about the pens I'll definitely be picking up some backups.
iFebby, the case is pretty nice actually. It comes in 2 pieces, the inside is a rubber glove and the second piece is a plastic shell that has holes cut out where nubs from the rubber piece protrude. The corners are extra thick, has built on volume and power buttons. The fit is snug and has all the cutouts for sensors, usb, jack, etc.
I was a little underwhelmed at first but after it was on it looks sharp and I really like the different textures, feels good and isn't clunky. Its definitely better protected and I feel a lot safer with it, fits real nice.

Attachments

• 20130710_223242.jpg
    20130710_223242.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20130710_223335.jpg
    20130710_223335.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 31
  • att_137351196163025.jpeg
    att_137351196163025.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 32
  • att_1373511953301185.jpeg
    att_1373511953301185.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 93

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
That's exactly the same pen they gave me for free
My pen doesn't have any writing on it, what does yours say?
In your photos that case looks really huge, is it just an illusion or is it really thick? Looks like a pretty good deal also. They should have just put a pen in the box with this phone if they're so cheap.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
My pen doesn't have any writing on it, what does yours say?
In your photos that case looks really huge, is it just an illusion or is it really thick? Looks like a pretty good deal also. They should have just put a pen in the box with this phone if they're so cheap.

My pen reads: Quick N Easy
It looks exactly like yours but also has the plastic plug to attach it/hang it from the headphones jack.

The case on the pics looks thick but it isn't at all. It's actually like yours; has a soft rubber (white) case (like a glove), then the hard plastic. Instead of the holes yours has, mine has a kickstand, which I love using! And also has a belt holster that I really use every day at work.

With the case on and compared to my Photon 4G with its case on, the GS4 is still thinner!

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
After reading reviews of several people reporting the samsung stylus breaking I decided to try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A05M6RU...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2917283

It is very lightweight and so far seems to function ok. It is definitely better than the fat tip stylus for accuracy. Of course it is no SPen. But if you want to write in S-Memo, or do some sketching, it might be a good choice.

Am finding that the two keys to using it are consistent pressure and slow down just a bit from what you are used to. Otherwise you get ahead of the device and start getting gaps.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
After reading reviews of several people...

That's interesting. After reading the reviews and seeing it's like 77% off makes me nervous to try it.
Have you used one of the fat tipped ones to make the comparison?
Is that an SPen or c-pen?
Mines a c-pen and I don't press down on it at all, in fact it's barely making contact with the screen.
I don't get any lag with it at all, yet anyway. I'll draw something and post it later. I've only used it with Autodesk sketchbook and SwiftKey, maybe these apps just work awesome with it.
I couldn't imagine how I could break it, but I know I will replace it immediately.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
That thin point pen looks good. But I still stand beside my"fat" point pen. It just works!
I now see myself using it on everything I do on my GS4. Like posting here using either the Google keyboard or the Samsung keyboard, it's really nice and easy to swipe with this pen!

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I don't think I've touched the screen with my finger since I got mine.
It would be cool if it had a button on it like my wacom pen that you could set to various functions like spray with an airbrush tool, but that's just a greedy pipedream.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I don't think I've touched the screen with my finger since I got mine.
It would be cool if it had a button on it like my wacom pen that you could set to various functions like spray with an airbrush tool, but that's just a greedy pipedream.

But it would be nice though! :thumbup::D

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
That's interesting. After reading the reviews and seeing it's like 77% off makes me nervous to try it.
Have you used one of the fat tipped ones to make the comparison?
Is that an SPen or c-pen?
Mines a c-pen and I don't press down on it at all, in fact it's barely making contact with the screen.
I don't get any lag with it at all, yet anyway. I'll draw something and post it later. I've only used it with Autodesk sketchbook and SwiftKey, maybe these apps just work awesome with it.
I couldn't imagine how I could break it, but I know I will replace it immediately.

It's a capacitive stylus (aka "c-pen"). Near as I can tell the tip is the same size as the Samsung C-pen. If you have the Samsung C-pen and it's working it's probably the same thing. I just chose this one because several Samsung owners said that pen had a problem with the point getting pushed up into the holder. Well that and this one is 14 bucks cheaper than Samsung :) so I figured if it did not work I wasn't out much.

I have two "fat tip" stylii, one conventional rubber and the other a Boxwave microfiber. Both seem to work ok but neither one have the accuracy of this one.

Last edited:

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
No I just have some kind of generic fatnibbed one, came free with my Ionic case. Do you have to really press down on yours to get it to function though, I can see how that could be an annoyance and a nib breaker.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Not "really hard". But it does require firm contact. The fat tipped ones do not require as much pressure. The little tip is solid rubber instead of the pliable shell of the fat tipped ones and it is documented that it does not work on anything other than the SIII and SIV.

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok that's good info, do you use a screen protector? I guess I could see how that might affect the glide of the pen and if it needs that much contact I could understand it possibly not working well with the glass protectors.
My wacom tablets taken some damage from contact with its pen,not a ton but it obvious somethings been rubbing on it, so putting too much pressure on the s4 screen without a protector worries me. The wacom pen does have a plastic nib though.
Thanks for providing the helpful info.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes I use a protector. And it is possible that affects the sensitivity a bit. Didn't try without one so can't say. It doesn't on my Note tablet but that is S-Pen so not comparable.

Honestly I've only had the stylus a couple days. I spent some time experimenting with it mostly in S-Memo. I'm no artist so sketch programs I can't address.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't really think that protectors affect sensitivity. Well, at least this "fat point" pen I got doesn't seem to be affected on my Galaxy S4 with the screen protector on. It just glides easily and fast without much pressure. I might try one like yours later down the road, but for now this one is pretty darn good.

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I've been playing around in S-Memo today also and it works great, my handwriting is a little messier than normal but it's not horrible. I like that you can change to the pencil tool and zoom in for better legibility.
I didn't know you could use handwriting tools in S-Memo I've always just used text, so thanks for that info.