Please help - dropped my galaxy s4 in water

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
The whole thread was a treasure box of knowledge for me...i will remember the diff advices everyone had......i will do it anyway but can anyone answer me, why rice is used ? And silica ?

Posted via Android Central App

Because they absorb water & moisture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
The whole thread was a treasure box of knowledge for me...i will remember the diff advices everyone had......i will do it anyway but can anyone answer me, why rice is used ? And silica ?

Because they absorb water & moisture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Very true!!! :thumbup:

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

F0REVERY0UNG-

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I have nothing of importance to add to this thread...
I just wanted to say that reading it was like watching a horror movie.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using AC Forums mobile app

Somdk

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I am just trying to get a valid meaning out of an observation of mine (if right or wrong, pls tell me)

I have a habit of crushing paper into tight balls just by rolling it within my right palm. Sometimes i begin with a little wet paper, sometimes newspaper or any paper. And when done if i keep it in my Air Conditioned room which normally has a drying effect, in 2 days the paper ball is way more tough and strong than any of my normal hand made ball (which i dint start off with a little wet paper and didnt keep in the AC environment). I conclude that water inside was absorbed by the air, and thus the paper contracted. But th point is water was absorbed. So will keeping a wet phone in AC room help ?

Last edited:

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I am just trying to get a valid meaning out of an observation of mine (if right or wrong, pls tell me)

I have a habit of crushing paper into tight balls just by rolling it within my right palm. Sometimes i begin with a little wet paper, sometimes newspaper or any paper. And when done if i keep it in my Air Conditioned room which normally has a drying effect, in 2 days the paper ball is way more tough and strong than any of my normal hand made ball (which i dint start off with a little wet paper and didnt keep in the AC environment). I conclude that water inside was absorbed by the air, and thus the paper contracted. But th point is water was absorbed. So will keeping a wet phone in AC room help ?

That's a valid question, I had totally forgot about that one!

First thing is first in all cases, if a device gets wet you must pull the battery, SIM card, and SD card out (if possible of course).

The cold air from an air conditioner is very dry, allowing the water to evaporate quickly and will not damage the phone. You should still leave the phone there for about 3 days not just 24 hours, just to be on the safe side.

Also have in mind that if you drop the phone in salt water you have to rinse it in fresh water before you begin drying it. I know it sounds crazy, but crystals can still form and cause damage and erosion even if the phone is dry already!

And since we're talking crazy, there's also an alternative way to save a wet phone: Alcohol! Because it attracts water.
The alcohol method works best with phones that got damaged by salt water or coffee.

You'll need denatured alcohol, or a 95% alcohol solution, I think regular rubbing alcohol is about 75 %. However, make sure the alcohol you use is denatured with only methanol. The chemicals found in other types can be damaging to your device. I've seen this alcohol at hardware stores.

Soak up all the water in the phone with alcohol and then dump the liquid, after that only alcohol will remain, don't worry, it will evaporate, just leave it at a dry place for at least a couple of days.

mdlorenz

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Help! My son left his phone in his pocket and went in the ocean. He was in for about 5 minutes before he realized it. We then removed the battery and sim card and got it rice in about an hour. Left it for 3 days, but still won't turn on. Any ideas anyone? Brand new contract on Galaxy S4!!!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Read all posts before yours. Also, if your son's phone had insurance that might be the way to go since the phone is not powering up.

Sorry that happened, good luck!

Linn Latt La

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi I dropped my phone in the toilet as soon as I picked it up.i turned off and try to dry with my hair dryer. Because I didnt knw tht I should use rice. After tht my phone worked for a month . Now phone is not charging when the power is on. So I have to shut down and charged however it is buzzing every second and annoying. So I went to service center they open my phone the one in the back. They said the little small white hole above the sim card tray turned to red . Tht means my phone got wet and since I domt have insurance they cant do anything for me. Im so frustrated and dont knw wht to do. This is my first time using samsung and I started to hate now.i used apple before and got wet once but phone is still working till now. Would pls give me any advice please? I cant effort to get the new one just upgrade on may 24.:'(

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry about your phone but is not a problem with Samsung's phones, every phone out there that is not waterproofed will have some kind of damage right away or in the long run if it isn't dry correctly.

If you can't get them to help you, try buying a replacement phone from eBay, Amazon or craigslist.

Good luck!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Help! My son left his phone in his pocket and went in the ocean. He was in for about 5 minutes before he realized it. We then removed the battery and sim card and got it rice in about an hour. Left it for 3 days, but still won't turn on. Any ideas anyone? Brand new contract on Galaxy S4!!!

It's probably dead. Saltwater isn't good for just about anything.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

SoakedS4for2hours

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
If it has only been few days since you bought the phone, your credit card might cover accidental damage. Amex covers for 90 days. Unfortunately, I went to the beach 101 days after buying my phone. Good Luck!

abridel

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Please help drop galaxy s4 in water

Hi i have the same problem. I accidentally dropped my phone in water, i tear it apart took off the batt and wiped it and i blow dried it for at least 20 mins. turned it on and the screen is acting up and unresponsive at times. unfortunately the phone is lowbatt so i tried to charge it for less than 5 min and i unplugged it. the screen keeps acting up and it went blank at times. but the the lights at the bottom is still working. then from there i put it in the rice cause a friend told me to do so. is it too late? btw i have a Galaxy s4

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi i have the same problem. I accidentally dropped my phone in water, i tear it apart took off the batt and wiped it and i blow dried it for at least 20 mins. turned it on and the screen is acting up and unresponsive at times. unfortunately the phone is lowbatt so i tried to charge it for less than 5 min and i unplugged it. the screen keeps acting up and it went blank at times. but the the lights at the bottom is still working. then from there i put it in the rice cause a friend told me to do so. is it too late? btw i have a Galaxy s4

It never hurts to try, but don't get your hopes up.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Go back a little on this thread and read post #46.

Good luck.

You need to read a few posts back to get some answers.
Like Golfdriver said; "it never hurts to try".

dymonde13

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
yes, I just dropped my phone in the toilet.... it fell out of my back pocket. I almost cried but I took it out the and it was still on. I took the battery out let it dry w/0 rice .. and its been fine. Only problem I had was charging it.. but I plugged it in the computer and it started working again.. so if it worked for me it should work for you :)