Maybe this is just a rant, but is anyone else kind of upset that their S4 device is falling into a group of phones with the "S4" brand name? The S4 Active was just released, there's a Mini on it's way (or maybe already here), there's the S4 Zoom camera phone, and now there's talks of a newer version of the S4 with a Snapdragon 800 and more advanced LTE coming in the near future. The last one in that group of S4's is the one that bothers me the most.

I understand Samsung makes everything they can come up with to give people tons of options, but I tell you what, when I was an Apple fanboy, having the iPhone (let's say the 5) was special. You knew that this was the phone coming from Apple. They were going to spend all of their focus on making your experience on the 5 the best that it could be. You knew there wasn't a new iPhone coming out for at least a year. Maybe you'd hear about a better camera or a faster phone for the next version, but you had at least 8-10 months knowing you had the top of the line experience from Apple.

I just bought my S4 a month ago, and I do love it. But I also love having the newest technology. I'm not one of those people that need the newest phone to show off or impress anyone, I get the phone for me. That's it. Plain and simple. I want the newest phone because that's the type of person I am. After having the S4 for only a month, it still has its new phone smell, but now there are articles being written saying that Samsung is releasing the S4 again, but with better specs. Well, what the heck? If I knew this, I would've waited. I don't know why exactly this upsets me, but I feel almost like I've been tossed to the side. Now my phone is slowly becoming obsolete, before I even broke it in.

I know I'm walking on a line in these forums where a lot of people complain about this, and then there are a lot of people that say there is always going to be newer technology and your phone is yesterday's news as soon as you open the box. Why can't I have at least 8 months before hearing about a re-release of my phone with better specs? I just want to enjoy my new phone for a while and not worry about it's technology becoming obsolete in 2 months. Let me enjoy myself for a few months, Samsung. The Nexus releases yearly, the iPhone releases yearly, the Samsung S phones should be the same. Stop throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks, Samsung. Make your phone special. Make it distinct. Let your customers know that you are 100% focused on the products you just released, and not just shift your focus on the next model. I'm not going to jump back on the Apple train, but I do envy knowing that the iPhone fans get at least a year to enjoy their device and know that Apple is going to focus on just that one specific phone. Yes, the Zoom and Active are nice ideas and touch a different base of customers, but possibly releasing a newer version of my S4 with an 800 processor and a more advanced LTE system in place that will be used in the United States in a couple years, is just a punch to my gut.

I just want 8 months...
    phonejunky likes this.
    06-24-2013 05:12 PM
    Maybe stop following tech sites? Ignorance can be bliss. But seriously, the S4 is the flagship that's going to get the bulk of Samsung's attention, not to worry. I'd rather be an early adopter than wait around for something (slightly) better. Refreshes aren't worth it, in my opinion.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ZL
    neiljay6 likes this.
    06-24-2013 08:09 PM
    I like the point you've made here. Maybe Samsung should save some of the features and pack the next phone or just send the updates to there current flagship.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 2 using Tapatalk 2
    06-24-2013 08:26 PM
    I feel the same way with all these new phones coming out, but that's the name of the game when it comes to technology. It's so hard to keep up with it, so why bother? I'm just glad Samsung are coming out with better things, but all I ask for is for them not to make every phones look identical to one another. At least make the flagships standout from the lower tier models.

Sent from my GT-I9500
    06-24-2013 09:10 PM
    Android = options
    The next big thing keeps coming and I can get it. There's always someone willing to pay for a slightly used flagship device to offset my cost of obtaining the latest technology.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-25-2013 09:35 AM
    I understand both point of views. It's in some cases it's good to have a lot of options and Samsung has to brand it under the S4 in order for people to be interested. I mean look at some of the other device names they come out with. People wouldn't look twice at it. Power of marketing.

But on the other hand, they run the risk of dilutting the brand and then it no longer feels like any of their devices are "special" so to speak. It's like when blackberry kept releasing a "new" Curve. They ran that model into the ground. It all depends on perspective really. I do like choices but at some point it does become too much but Samsung obviously doesn't feel they've reached that point yet. They have a different philosophy.... let's make any many devices in all shapes and sizes under a brand and sell a lot rather than putting all their efforts into 1 device. They are clearly looking to appeal to a lot of different people whereas Apple (thus far) and now HTC (with the One) philosophy is "this is the device for everyone".

I personally don't have a problem with it but I could see how it could both help and hurt their brand in the long run. We will see what happens in the future.
    06-25-2013 12:57 PM
    I liked Galaxy S, Galaxy Tab and Galaxy Note. Easy to know what you're talking about getting.
    06-26-2013 01:15 AM
    I think using the s4 name is smart. If you were to use other names for those phones it might be even more confusing than it is now. I don't think many people will know the difference between the 600 and 800 s4. Only people who really keep up with that stuff.
    06-26-2013 08:34 AM
    I see your point here. It's a little too soon to be coming out with a new, more powerful version of the phone you currently have. At the same time they had to release the S4 in order to compete with the HTC One. As a company they have to do certain things in order to remain a powerful force in the business.
    06-26-2013 08:55 AM
    Now some Samsung owners feel the pain of Bionic owners. I got the Bionic on day one. Love it, especially since it finally received the ICS update. However I was one of many that was pretty pissed when this, a Verizon/Motorola flagship phone, was already being pushed aside about a month later with the announcement of the Razer. I know tech is constantly evolving and you will never have the best for very long, but it's pretty damn annoying when it's the same company that is outdating your equipment that quickly.
    06-26-2013 09:03 AM
    You should've bought a Nexus. Or a GE S4 if you need removable battery/storage (assuming the GE devices live up to their "Nexus-like experience"). Software is king. Period. Especially considering today's hardware standards. There's only one device per niche per year, and always the latest and greatest software directly from Google. It feels like you get a new device multiple times over its useful lifespan. With the unmatch quality and volume of Nexi dev support, you could have something new to play with daily if you so choose. Of course, this is my opinion, but it can be backed up with hard facts. I've never turned someone on to the Nexus program who ended up regretting it. That said I never tried convincing anyone who was convinced they needed removable batteries/storage. Now these GE devices should fill that void too.

Oh, and forget about that "S4" sporting the 800 and LTE-A. The N5 will sport the 800, no doubt, and then ~6months later the GS5 will sport the 800 with a better camera and removable battery/storage..so on and so forth for the foreseeable future. Hardware wise, no device will be on top more than ~6months. Again, that's what make Nexi and GE (we'll see at least) so great.

Lastly, Sammy has found brand DOMINANCE with the Galaxy lines. Right up there with "iPhone" or "Droid." Not even close to watered down, but maybe causing a bit of confusion. The fact they keep calling everything they make "galaxy this or that" shows they know they've created a winner regarding brand recognition.
    06-26-2013 03:58 PM
    Don't think the brand name is being watered down. I think that all these extra Galaxy devices will cause Brand confusion though.

S4 mini, S4 active, S4 zoom, S4 Google Edition. S4 mega.
    06-26-2013 04:01 PM
    I think its ridiculous and not smart of Samsung to do this.
    06-26-2013 04:18 PM