I'm new to android and just finding my feet, having been an avid iphone user for years!
    I'm using the stock sms app but am surprised to see it desn't have a 1,3,4 etc by the envelope to show the number of unread messages. Is there a way to enable this?

I've also downloaded Glowfly to enable the opo ups to a new sms. This will appear on the home screen but not on the lock screen, is there a way of doing this? I've got the lock screen pin protected but have tried taking this this off and no joy.
    06-25-2013 09:03 AM
    I'm new to android and just finding my feet, having been an avid iphone user for years!
    I'm using the stock sms app but am surprised to see it desn't have a 1,3,4 etc by the envelope to show the number of unread messages. Is there a way to enable this?

I've also downloaded Glowfly to enable the opo ups to a new sms. This will appear on the home screen but not on the lock screen, is there a way of doing this? I've got the lock screen pin protected but have tried taking this this off and no joy.
    This is part of learning Android. Personally, I like using a different Launcher to get the counts for my SMS, Gmail or missed calls... AND lock screens are something totally different. I have not used it, but you might want to check out: Play store: DashClock
    06-25-2013 11:22 AM

Use Nova Launcher...it has the option to do this...this is something I needed as well
    06-25-2013 11:29 AM
    Use Nova Launcher...it has the option to do this...this is something I needed as well
    Neither Nova or Apex (To the OP: These are the launchers I was referring to above, I have used both on the S4) will do anything with the lock screen.
    06-25-2013 12:32 PM
    I use nova launcher as well. Although it should have been built in. Doesn't make any sense why it's not.

Sent from my SCH-I545
    06-25-2013 02:01 PM
    I agree it doesn't make sense that Nova launcher does not control the lock screen, but the lock screen is controlled by the ROM not the launcher.
    06-25-2013 04:15 PM

This is simply a feature that Android has never had. A lot of iOS converts seem to miss it, but it really is a feature unique to Apple (Samsung probably feared they'd be sued again if they added it to touchwiz!). Blackberry had the red asterisks thingy that indicated new messages, but even that wasn't the same.

As a few have mentioned, there are 3rd party launchers that support this, you can try those out. Oddly enough, I did test out the unread indicators on icons before, and really didn't care for it...
    06-25-2013 04:25 PM