Emails coming in very slowly

captain_tinker

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Been using my S4 since they came out. I came from Blackberry, which whenever I would get an email it would come in instantaneously. On my S4, it is not like that at all. For example, my wife will email me a picture from her phone (Also an S4), and about an hour or two later, the email finally arrives. Frankly, this is not acceptable to me in the slightest. This is probably one of the very few gripes I have so far going to this phone, it's really been fantastic otherwise. I know that there are a lot of settings in the combined email boxes for scheduling sync etc, but not sure how to set it in such a way that emails come in as they are received by the account. I am using several accounts, two yahoo accounts, a gmail account, and a comcast account. All of them are slow. Is there a way to edit settings to make it go faster?

CapT

Rirruto

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you have your sync schedule set to "Push" instead of manual or a time interval. I also have Peak schedule unchecked.

Rirruto

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, ok, but I don't see "Push" anywhere, I must be missing something, or not looking in the right place.
In the Email app, go to Settings, then select the specific email account, then under Sync settings, select Sync schedule. Push should be the first option and then Manual, and then different time durations.

captain_tinker

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Under Set Sync Schedule I see the following options, each with their own radio buttons:
Never
Every 15 Minutes
Every 30 Minutes
Every Hour
Ever 4 Hours
Once a day
Cancel.

I guess I lack that option, that's why I didn't see it.

swent1

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I @lso have that issue in the Gmail app. It would t push through emails and I can tell check it to sync mail because it says I have auto sync app data off. But I can't find it anywhere

Sent from my SGH-I337M using AC Forums mobile app

captain_tinker

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Here are the screenshots

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-25-11-18-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-25-11-18-32.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_2013-06-25-11-18-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-25-11-18-15.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 9

Rirruto

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
What kind of account is it, Yahoo, gmail, etc? I'm on AT&T, what are you on? Not sure if that makes a difference or not...

It's my work account. I'm on T-Mo. I think the account might make a difference. I just added a Yahoo account that I don't really use anymore into the Email app and Push isn't an option. The shortest time period for sync is 5 minutes for my Yahoo account. I am guessing whatever accounts you are using doesn't support "push" email.

captain_tinker

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok, that makes a lot more sense now then... It's likely an Exchange account, which probably supports the push. AT&T vs T-Mo probably makes no difference here I would think. Owell, in any case, does this mean that the soonest I can set my email to come in is every 15 minutes? Yikes...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok, that makes a lot more sense now then... It's likely an Exchange account, which probably supports the push. AT&T vs T-Mo probably makes no difference here I would think. Owell, in any case, does this mean that the soonest I can set my email to come in is every 15 minutes? Yikes...

Yeah. Since your having to set it to fetch it will only fetch every 15 minutes. There may be a client in the app store that will allow push mail. I know I use Gmail and their app pushes it so it comes right away automatically.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

On the Gmail App, whenever you have Sync issues, just go to Settings-Application Manager-All- Gmail and Clear Data, then enter your settings and choices again, that will take care of your Push issues.

On the Email App, if you have an email account that can be set with an Exchange Server (in My case my Hotmail Account) it will give you the option to Push Emails (Same than Blackberry) but all the other accounts, like your Cable Email, those are POP accounts and it won't push emails, in previous SamsunG Galaxy Phones and Android Versions I remember been able to set the Frequency to 5 minutes, that is no longer there, the sooner now is 15 minutes.

captain_tinker

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Owell, that's too bad. I was really hoping to just use the native email client, and not have to resort to a separate app for each email address. I really do miss the immediate email from my BB, but frankly, at this point, that's the only thing I miss.... Though its a biggie.