Samsung galaxy s4- Wont charge

Kelly Rudd

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
HI guys, please help I have a samsung galaxy s4 its only a few months old. Last night it was working perfectly fine, i did not stick it on charge as it was 33% battery which would usually last till the morning. However this morning I awoke and my phone was dead i turned it on, the home screen was only on for a short while and then it switched off before I could get to a charger. I have tried charging but the red LED light did not come on, so I knew straight away something was wrong. The phone shows a picture of an empty battery and then a buffer, it will vibrate every 10 seconds still showing the same image with a loading buffer and then fades away and repeats again in 10 seconds. I do not know what is wrong, so looking for some answers as the last thing I want is to call insurance as I will phoneless for weeks. Any help would be appreciated thank you :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
HI guys, please help I have a samsung galaxy s4 its only a few months old. Last night it was working perfectly fine, i did not stick it on charge as it was 33% battery which would usually last till the morning. However this morning I awoke and my phone was dead i turned it on, the home screen was only on for a short while and then it switched off before I could get to a charger. I have tried charging but the red LED light did not come on, so I knew straight away something was wrong. The phone shows a picture of an empty battery and then a buffer, it will vibrate every 10 seconds still showing the same image with a loading buffer and then fades away and repeats again in 10 seconds. I do not know what is wrong, so looking for some answers as the last thing I want is to call insurance as I will phoneless for weeks. Any help would be appreciated thank you :)

Welcome to the forums!
I would remove the battery then let it charge for a couple hours. Then try to turn it on. If that doesn't work, your battery is probably shot.
Future reference: don't let your battery completely drain. The 30% you saw kadt was an ok point to charge.

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
I would remove the battery then let it charge for a couple hours. Then try to turn it on. If that doesn't work, your battery is probably shot.
Future reference: don't let your battery completely drain. The 30% you saw kadt was an ok point to charge.

I'll second this. It can sometimes take a little while for a battery in cut-off (what happens when it drains too much) to get a high enough voltage to run the phone. You'll probably just need to charge it for a while before you try to turn the phone on or before it will make the phone do anything. I'll also second the notion not to run it all the way down. It's way better to charge your phone from a higher percent and then leave it on the charger than it is to run it down low before charging.

Kelly Rudd

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I'll second this. It can sometimes take a little while for a battery in cut-off (what happens when it drains too much) to get a high enough voltage to run the phone. You'll probably just need to charge it for a while before you try to turn the phone on or before it will make the phone do anything. I'll also second the notion not to run it all the way down. It's way better to charge your phone from a higher percent and then leave it on the charger than it is to run it down low before charging.

OK, so just let it charge for a few hours. Thanks for the help :)

ForTheHorde

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I just wanna throw my 2 cents into this convo, you should also check the charger itself to make sure its good. My wife had her phone charging all day, she picked it up and it was still dead, the USB cable on her charger has a short in it, so we just plugged it into a different charger and it was fine. just something to check. :)

Kelly Rudd

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully that is all you need. If not, you should be able to order a replacement battery.

Ah no it has not worked I have had to order a replacement battery :( Hopefully be here in 2 days and thne it will work. If this doesn't I cant imagine what it could be, do you think that the port were you plug the charger into the phone could be broke?

Andrawer

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I actually doubt it's the battery but agree with ForTheHorde's comments and would check the usb cable. Grab another cable and test it and/or see if the existing cable works if you adjust it where it connects to the phone.

If another usb cable or the new battery doesn't work then it is probably the usb port on the phone and I'd take it in for warranty replacement.

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Ah no it has not worked I have had to order a replacement battery :( Hopefully be here in 2 days and thne it will work. If this doesn't I cant imagine what it could be, do you think that the port were you plug the charger into the phone could be broke?

The battery should have warranty just take it to your carrier amd they should take care of it. On the other hand a spare battery never hurts.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

drtomdevries

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I've had this problem twice with my Samsung S4. First time it was two days out of the box and again now when it's a few months old. Seems to be a glitch of some sort when you let the phone run all the way down. The only thing that seemed to work for me (which I'm trying again now) is to dismount the battery for several hours and then use my computers USB to charge the phone. Both time this occured after letting the phone drain all the way down. It's not the battery, charger, or the cord. My guess is it's a software glitch in the S4.

Geoff Butcher

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
My daughter's S4 also has a charging problem. It will charge from my iMac's USB port but not from the Samsung mains charger that came with the phone. With the latter connected there is no response whatsoever from the phone. I bought her a replacement Samsung S4 charger/cable but the problem persists. Very annoying!

DesElms

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm sorry, but that thread's first two posts -- by that thread's starter (aka, its "original poster" or "OP") -- are just ridiculously wrong and misleading.

I have, however, added a third post to that thread which sets straight the record; and provides any Samsung Galaxy famly phone user -- particularly a Note II user -- with pretty much everything s/he needs to know about this subject.

Harold Quandt

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
My daughter's S4 also has a charging problem. It will charge from my iMac's USB port but not from the Samsung mains charger that came with the phone. With the latter connected there is no response whatsoever from the phone. I bought her a replacement Samsung S4 charger/cable but the problem persists. Very annoying!

what did you do to get it fixed i have friend with same issue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech