S4 or active

racrgrl

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to decide if I should buy my husband who works in construction, if I should get him the regular s4 (with an otterbox) or the active, any thoughts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The Otter box would provide ample protection for the regular S4.

The more 'rugged' Active would still require a case. Its not like its made of steel. A drop could still damage it if its not in a case.

Posted via Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The active is water and dust resistant not more rugged. He would need a case either way. Although an otterbox makes the phone like 3 times bigger.

The S4 has a better camera. The active has a lcd screen. Also the S4 comes in 32GB and the active only 16GB. I have both and use the S4 more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

racrgrl

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, the s4 is more of what I was leaning towards but thought I would ask for opinions first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
What planoman said. I'm in the masonry business albeit I'm on the office side now. The dust resistant element is a big advantage for the active with the amount of dust you encounter on the job site level. There is also something to be said for the water resistant element to a lesser degree. As of now there are not any heavy duty cases available for the Active although they should be shortly. I don't like how the term rugged is being associated with the Active. It is no more rugged than the regular S4. Any drop and it is going to encounter just as much damage if not more because of the added weight. If he is in construction I would recommend putting an Otterbox or Ballistic type case on whichever phone you get him. The camera is acceptable on both phones but a bit better on the regular S4. Another advantage for the Active is the LCD screen and better viewing outdoors. Bottom line: If you are buying it for the "rugged" aspect, don't. If dust and water resistance and readability in sunlight are important go with the Active. Just be sure to put it in a case that offers some drop protection.

As most of my time is spent in the office I'm probably keeping my regular s4 and returning my Active. My s4 has 32gb internal memory and I slightly prefer the camera of the s4 over the active.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm considering returning the active for the Google edition today actually

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Active using a Tapatalk 4

I may too but for the HTC One Google edition. Only after seeing the reviews. If google wallet works, I may have to go that route.

The silence on the google editions has been interesting...

Last edited:

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Does that mean your getting one?

considering either the Google One or S4. Waiting to see feedback first. Will likely return my Active and sell my Nexus 4 and either the One or S4 depending on which one I decide to get.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
considering either the Google One or S4. Waiting to see feedback first. Will likely return my Active and sell my Nexus 4 and either the One or S4 depending on which one I decide to get.

I have a bad feeling subsequent updates for the active will be delayed further past the regular s4 as well as any Dev support.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a bad feeling subsequent updates for the active will be delayed further past the regular s4 as well as any Dev support.

This. The fact that Samsung does not even have the active on their website and no cases etc are available, I am getting the same feeling I had with my Atrix 2. A great phone that never got supported.
I may return my active and just wait on the sidelines for a while with my s4.

Last edited:

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

I'm afraid you are right. It's a shame because I really, really prefer the screen on the Active and how much smoother it is than the s4.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm afraid you are right. It's a shame because I really, really prefer the screen on the Active and how much smoother it is than the s4.

Ordered then canceled the Google edition. It's not worth $707 when I can get a normal s4 for $475. Might hold out for a while longer on the active.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Ordered then canceled the Google edition. It's not worth $707 when I can get a normal s4 for $475. Might hold out for a while longer on the active.

Did you notice the processor on the GS4 Google Edition is the Qualcomm S4 Pro and not the 600? I still may consider the HTC One Google Edition but that pretty much crosses the GS4 of my list. Thinking I'm gonna hang on to my Active for a few more days now as well.

Edit: Appears to be a mistake on Google's part.

Last edited:

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Did you notice the processor on the GS4 Google Edition is the Qualcomm S4 Pro and not the 600? I still may consider the HTC One Google Edition but that pretty much crosses the GS4 of my list. Thinking I'm gonna hang on to my Active for a few more days now as well.

Edit: Appears to be a mistake on Google's part.

I'm sure that's a typo, all the reviews that came out today say that they are exactly the same as their original siblings save for the software. Either way, looks like I'll be sticking with the active for a while :) maybe we can buy an xda Dev an active at some point.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately I just picked up a regular s4 used today. Will be returning the $640 off contract active for a mint $480 s4. I'm sure I don't need to explain that one :). I might come back if / when the active is comparable in used marketplace.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital