Setting phone down, why is camera protruding?

SlickSpur

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone else find it annoying that the camera sticks out on the back? I'm much more concerned with scratching the camera (which I don't think is Gorilla Glass) than I am with the screen. So, if I have the case off (which I take off sometimes to use an aux cable), and set the phone down, it's sitting right on the camera. Or, I can have it sit right on the screen, which I generally opt to do.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else find it annoying that the camera sticks out on the back? I'm much more concerned with scratching the camera (which I don't think is Gorilla Glass) than I am with the screen. So, if I have the case off (which I take off sometimes to use an aux cable), and set the phone down, it's sitting right on the camera. Or, I can have it sit right on the screen, which I generally opt to do.

Like is it sticking out and balancing on the lens? I think it's normal for it to be on it some.. My s3 was like that and my HTC One is like that.. When laying on its back it's on the glass.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

Marck527

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Yep. Not only that, but it looks ugly sticking out like that. I still haven't taken out the plastic on the lens, just in case.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500

SlickSpur

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Like is it sticking out and balancing on the lens? I think it's normal for it to be on it some.. My s3 was like that and my HTC One is like that.. When laying on its back it's on the glass.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

It doesn't stick out a lot, less than a millimeter, but its enough that it could scratch it. It's a pain to try making sure any surface you put it down on is perfectly clean. It's quite possible you could put it down on a piece of dirt, or sand, etc. Just putting it down on there is bad enough, but if it's moved/dragged/slid at all, it's all over for the camera.

I never used a case with my iPhone (at least, not for long), always enjoyed the slimness with it without one. Since the GS4 has a removable back cover, I figured I once again wouldn't need a case with the phone, but after seeing how the camera is, I hate not having one on there because I feel like I can't put it down. Frustrating.

tytlyf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
It's not laying directly on the glass, it's laying on the sliver of metal that sticks above the camera glass from what I can tell.

SlickSpur

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Just put the phone on a cloth or something if you take the case off and set it down
It doesn't stick out that much though

That's what I've been doing. However, I don't usually have one in the car when I'm driving around, I usually put the thing in the cup holder. Also, if I'm out and about, I'd generally prefer not to have to put a case on it, especially with the removable back cover.

palebluedot77

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
It seems unavoidable at some point to not scratch the camera lens without a case. Would of been nice if Samsung increased the bezel height to help mitigate this issue.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Guess you've never had other Android phones.
Most have cameras that stick out.

I suggest putting a case on it.

rabiddog99

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Bugged me, but after getting a case (Speck) it sits flat now. I came from the iphone and was used to a flush camera. Only other thing that bugs me on this phone is the power button on the side, I'm used to it being on top with the iphone so now when I turn my phone off I also end up turning the volumn down. Other than those two things the phone is great.

SlickSpur

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I have bumper case for it, but I hate it. I find myself taking it off for a good part of the day every day, then resting the phone on the case.

Why did Samsung design the phone this way?

Marck527

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I have bumper case for it, but I hate it. I find myself taking it off for a good part of the day every day, then resting the phone on the case.

Why did Samsung design the phone this way?

Samsung designed the phone this way because even the slightest similarities with the iPhone could lead to Apple suing them haha

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500

palebluedot77

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
It's not laying directly on the glass, it's laying on the sliver of metal that sticks above the camera glass from what I can tell.

I doubt the silver bezel around the camera is raised enough to avoid scratches if you go naked. Would of been nice if they sunk in the camera area a bit so it's resting on the back case. Oh well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12