DVD to Samsung S4

2blue2handle

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Please bare with me on this, I am not the best with computers and having had the basic but boring iPhone 4s previously im still adapting to android.

Basically I want to put movies onto my Galaxy S4, I have a 64gb SD card already inside the phone.
I have also ripped a few films from DVD into my computer using DVD catalyst 4

This process so far has taken a long time and having leave my phone attached to the computer is not idea as it takes so long.

My second problem is after I put on a few films which took several days the SD card then said SD Card damaged try reformatting which I did but meant I was back to square one with a blank SD card (this happened twice)

Basically I am after the quickest, best and most simple way to get some decent films onto my SD card. thanks in advance for any help.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Convert the movies using Handbrake or similar, plug in phone, drag the movie file onto the SD card that shows up in Explorer. Easy as that.

2blue2handle

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Convert the movies using Handbrake or similar, plug in phone, drag the movie file onto the SD card that shows up in Explorer. Easy as that.

How long does it usually take.

Before my SD card went funny it was taking about 4 hours to rip films and 4 hours to put them onto SD card

Marck527

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
How long does it usually take.

Before my SD card went funny it was taking about 4 hours to rip films and 4 hours to put them onto SD card

WHAT?! 4 hours to rip Is definitely not normal, it should take like 1 hour or less. What class is your sd card? 4 hours to copy a single movie is ridiculous and not normal.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500

2blue2handle

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
WHAT?! 4 hours to rip Is definitely not normal, it should take like 1 hour or less. What class is your sd card? 4 hours to copy a single movie is ridiculous and not normal.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500

class 10

I have about 10 DVD's ripped to my computer now but to get them onto the phone takes forever.

All im doing is connecting the phone to the computer then dropping them into the phone's SD card folder from "my movies" is that correct?

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
What is the size of a DVD file you are trying to transfer over? Are you using any compression at all? Something is very off and not just your card, since it is taking 4 hours to rip.

dvdcatalyst

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
class 10

I have about 10 DVD's ripped to my computer now but to get them onto the phone takes forever.

All im doing is connecting the phone to the computer then dropping them into the phone's SD card folder from "my movies" is that correct?

Hi,

Thank you for using DVD Catalyst :)

If you copy one of the videos over to your internal memory, does it take that long too?

Based on your posts, my guess is that you have a bad memorycard.

Even if you purchased a brand new one, it can be bad. A few months ago, I bought a 64GB class 10 Sandisk and had the same issue. slow copying, and after the files were finally done, half didn't work, half did.

Formatted the card, copied the same ones over, and ones that worked no longer worked and ones that didn't work, worked.

dvdcatalyst

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The actual conversion shouldn't take long. On a recent computer, it should take about half the time of the actual movie (1hr for a 2hr movie), if you have a multi-core system, it can go a lot quicker (10-12 minutes for a 2 hour movie).

During the conversion your phone doesn't need to be connected. After the conversion process, in order to copy the file, then you obviously need to connect your phone.

But, as I mentioned in my previous post, try copying your videos directly to internal memory of your S4, and see if that works faster. I suspect your card is bad.

2blue2handle

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I did buy a cheap SD card from Ebay, ive bought a sandisk one now from ebay

My one video (Jimmy Carr) is 612MB now converted to MP4 (using DVD catalyst)

To drop it into SD card just now it said it would take "about 5 hours"
To drop it onto phone it said it will take "about an hour" which is much better. I think ill order a new SD card now.

So I think you may be onto something that the SD card isnt working properly.

The conversions are taking a while but that isnt such an issue as I can leave that to run when out the house.

Also DVDCatalyst on another topic is there a way of converting Blurays, they never seem to work, someone mentioned they have extra coding or protection. or alternatively does anyone know of a free way I can download films online for free.

2blue2handle

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Ok so my Jimmy Carr DVD ripped was 612MB (is this about right for a video about an hour and a half?)

Dropping it into phone said about an hour initially now its changed to 7 hours 30 mins :(
Dropping it into SD card said about 5 hours but cancelled that so could have changed to longer.

obviously im not doing something right :(
annoying as the main point of getting this phone was its size to watch films.

dvdcatalyst

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok so my Jimmy Carr DVD ripped was 612MB (is this about right for a video about an hour and a half?)

Dropping it into phone said about an hour initially now its changed to 7 hours 30 mins :(
Dropping it into SD card said about 5 hours but cancelled that so could have changed to longer.

obviously im not doing something right :(
annoying as the main point of getting this phone was its size to watch films.

Maybe it has something to do with the USB cable, or your USB port. If your computer has USB ports on different sides, try one on the other side, and see if that makes a difference. Especially USB3 ports can be tricky.

If you have a card-reader, try using that to copy your movies over, and see if that goes faster.

If you have Samsung Kies installed, this could also be causing complications. If you just connect your S4 with the cable to your computer, anything from Windows Vista and upwards should recognize it.

2blue2handle

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it has something to do with the USB cable, or your USB port. If your computer has USB ports on different sides, try one on the other side, and see if that makes a difference. Especially USB3 ports can be tricky.

If you have a card-reader, try using that to copy your movies over, and see if that goes faster.

If you have Samsung Kies installed, this could also be causing complications. If you just connect your S4 with the cable to your computer, anything from Windows Vista and upwards should recognize it.

is there anyway I can get DVD Catalyst onto another computer without paying again? I would try it on another computer then.

I do have Kies for my music, is there another way around that.

Cheers

dvdcatalyst

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
is there anyway I can get DVD Catalyst onto another computer without paying again? I would try it on another computer then.

I do have Kies for my music, is there another way around that.

Cheers

If you don't have the downloaded installer anymore, send me an email, and I'll provide you with your download link.

As for Kies, you should be able to turn it off (it is likely running next to your clock in the systray) in its settings.

Eventhough I have a few Samsung devices (a Player, Note 10.1 and a gNex), I don't use Kies myself.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I did buy a cheap SD card from Ebay, ive bought a sandisk one now from ebay

My one video (Jimmy Carr) is 612MB now converted to MP4 (using DVD cata.

If you search the fora, you'll see the problem may not be how fast the DVD rips, but whether the card keeps timing out for no apparent reason. There are a lot of reports of that--and many of them (as with me) seem to have the SanDisk 64gb attached to those reports.

You might get better results with a card reader, a different card (try Kingston, with which I did not have such problems), or copying first to main memory of the phone and then using the phone's native file manager to transfer to the card.

2blue2handle

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to to everyone for the help especially DVD Catalyst :)

New SD card came and managed to move my 10 films onto SD card in a few minutes so very pleased.

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
have you tried DVDcatalyst for the samsung tab 3? I have that as well as the samsung galaxy s4 phone. But i just can't seem to get the settings right to convert my dvds to a playable form for my samsung galaxy tab 3. I haven't bought the DVDcatalyst yet. I was trying to see if it would work before i bought it. I have download god knows how many programs to try and i have yet to find one that will convert my dvd's to a playable file for my samsung galaxy tab 3. Can someone please help me with this? Thank you!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34