11-12-2013 06:40 PM
54 123
tools
    I DO want to freeze and get rid of bloatware. If you could direct me to a list of software that's safe to remove or freeze. I'd root just for Titanium backup, and if there was an easy way to unroot.
    06-28-2013 08:33 AM
    I DO want to freeze and get rid of bloatware. If you could direct me to a list of software that's safe to remove or freeze. I'd root just for Titanium backup, and if there was an easy way to unroot.
    Here's the link for root: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...48572450,d.cGE

Aaaaaand here's the link on how to unroot: How to Unroot Android: 5 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Keep in mind that once you unroot, you will not be able to use Titanium Backup to its fullest potential.
    Joe_Perone likes this.
    06-28-2013 10:50 AM
    Here's the link for root: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...48572450,d.cGE

Aaaaaand here's the link on how to unroot: How to Unroot Android: 5 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Keep in mind that once you unroot, you will not be able to use Titanium Backup to its fullest potential.
    Just in case I ever have to send the phone back I wouldn't unroot otherwise :P

And sorry to keep asking you things, but you're so damn helpful! Is there a Rom out for the Google Edition Galaxy S4? I know there is one fro the Google Edition HTC One, as seen in this link.
    06-28-2013 11:02 AM
    Haha you'll need the app Triangle Away to reset your flash counter as well, if you plan on sending it back!

It's completely fine Joe! It's what I love doing! Helping people by sharing my Android knowledge is how I give back to the community!

Currently, there is no Google Edition phone rom out, as they have not released the phones for public.. err.. Developer tinkering yet! I'd say it'll be a couple of weeks before you see one!
    Joe_Perone likes this.
    06-28-2013 11:06 AM
    Alright, thanks a lot; I appreciate it! And thanks for the Triangle Away tip, that's pretty useful!
    06-28-2013 11:18 AM
    Again, no problem at all! I've had humble beginnings as well (Owned a Motorola Cliq XT running Cupcake for about a year back in 2007, before I stumbled onto rooting and custom Roms and such)

As of right now I'd say you should definitely check out Cyanogenmod, or Paranoid Android for your custom Rom needs!

Tapatalked from my Nexus 10
    06-28-2013 11:53 AM
    Hmmmmm, I found this, which seems VERY promising!

Do I have to restore my phone to factory before rooting?
    06-28-2013 12:03 PM
    No you do not! If you refer to the link I posted, the one click tool will do everything for you!

Here's how I went about rooting my S4; Rooted it using the One click tool, downloaded a custom recovery for the device (see here: http://galaxys4root.com/clockworkmodtwrp-recoveries/), and backed up my data so I had a full back if I did something to my device, and I needed to reset it to how I had before.

I then used Titanium Backup (You can also use My Backup Pro) to back up all of my applications! (I would keep an .apk of Titanium on your SD card just in case. Just download a file manager after you install the ROM of your choosing, and you can easly reinstall and restore your applications)

If you want, export your contacts to your SD card. I did it, and it made restoring my contacts a lot easier then going the Google route.

Above all, STAY CALM. Go into doing this as confident as possible. From what it sounds, I say you have done your reading on this, and are equipped to dive into the wonderful world of custom ROMs!

Joe_Perone likes this.
    06-28-2013 12:31 PM
    Does it matter that I'm on Rogers with a Canadian Galaxy S4? Can I still do the one click? And I forget if you said this already, but how do I get TouchWiz back if I want it after I put on Slimbean for instance
    06-28-2013 12:36 PM
    It should work just fine Joe. I don't think it is carrier specific.

To regain TouchWiz, you would have to do something called 'reverting from a backup'. What this means, is that you would restore the factory image you had backed up, before you flashed a new ROM to your phone.

Most times, people flash different ROMs in Samsung phones, to get away from TouchWiz, and experience a 'carrier free' , home launcher, and phone experience.

Joe_Perone likes this.
    06-28-2013 12:45 PM
    The thing is, I like some of the Samsung stuff, like their camera and all the modes within it, so just in case I want to revert back, it's good to know that I will be able to. Also, how would I go about updating apps and firmware? Do I have to do anything special in terms of updating?
    06-28-2013 12:55 PM
    The thing is, I like some of the Samsung stuff, like their camera and all the modes within it, so just in case I want to revert back, it's good to know that I will be able to. Also, how would I go about updating apps and firmware? Do I have to do anything special in terms of updating?
    I totally understand!

To update a custom ROM, you would simply flash the desired, updated ROM, over your previous. You would just backup the apps, contacts, etc..

Application updating, is the exact same, as if you were on stock android. Just through the Google Play store!

06-28-2013 12:59 PM
    What about firmware? Let's say I root tonight, and then in 2 weeks, 4.3 comes out. Do I have to do anything special?
    06-28-2013 01:25 PM
    Revert back to stock, and use the OTA root keeper. It temporarily un roots your device, update, then reroot it.

Tapped from my Nexus 10.1
    Joe_Perone likes this.
    06-28-2013 01:49 PM
    Do I have to flash the ROM again afterward? And reroot it exactly like I did the first time?
    06-28-2013 01:52 PM
    I would wait and see if your carrier updates it for you. Then you just do an Over The Air update. The OTA root keeper app just temporarily unroots you, as most carriers won't allow OTA updates on rooted devices.

After you updated, you would simply go back into the application and re-enable for. It's just a click of the button!

Joe_Perone likes this.
    06-28-2013 02:00 PM
    Also, what about this launcher?

I'm really looking for opinions from anyone who already has one of these style launchers on their phone already

Also, will changing the launcher affect my battery life at all?
    That's a theme for adw launcher

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-28-2013 02:07 PM
    I would wait and see if your carrier updates it for you. Then you just do an Over The Air update. The OTA root keeper app just temporarily unroots you, as most carriers won't allow OTA updates on rooted devices.

After you updated, you would simply go back into the application and re-enable for. It's just a click of the button!

You're so awesome, thank you! If I need any more help, can I contact you here?
    06-28-2013 02:14 PM
    You're so awesome, thank you! If I need any more help, can I contact you here?
    Yes! Pop me a friend request, and we can maybe exchange email, or phone numbers!

Glad to help in any way I can!

06-28-2013 02:23 PM
    How do I get the recovery on my device? I want to download CWM, but there is no option for Canadian S4s, so I have to download TWRP. It's a .tar file, now what?
    06-28-2013 05:02 PM
    Have you also downloaded these:

Tools You Will Need for Windows

Download ODIN
    Download Samsung USB Drivers
    Download SuperSU zip

06-28-2013 06:03 PM
    I'm on a Mac
    06-28-2013 11:05 PM
    I'd say that complicated things! Lol!

Have you rooted your device?

06-29-2013 06:45 AM
    I'd recommend TWRP over cwm with all my personal experience it's Def better like for example right now running venom viporone rom on my one cwm won't flash the ota updates but TWRP will similar experience with my s4 but of course different rom

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-29-2013 07:06 AM
    I'd say that complicated things! Lol!

Have you rooted your device?

Hey man! Yes, I rooted and it's AWESOME! I backed up my TouchWiz ROM, just in case I have to revert, and I also flashed the above Google Edition ROM, just in case I want to have that at a later time! Just a quick question, is CyanogenMod just a launcher, or is it more than that?

Thanks a bunch for all your help! You made the experience super easy for me!
    06-29-2013 08:55 PM
54 123