When I use Instagram, the photos load rotated, even though they show up correctly (QuickPic, Dropbox, Gallery) and other apps show the proper rotation (FB, Twitter, Google+). For some reason, Instagram loads rotated and I have to re-rotate it to the correct position. What's the deal here?
    06-27-2013 02:53 PM
    All of my phones do this..I just use the interface to rotate the images. How do you take the picture? Mine is usually in portrait mode.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    Formerly "Evo_Girl"
    06-27-2013 03:27 PM
    My iPhone never did this, so I'm not sure what's going on, since my other apps have the photo just fine on my S4, without rotating it. Landscape or portrait, they all come out rotated. Not sure why Instagram is making me an extra step.
    06-27-2013 03:53 PM
    Are you taking them in portrait mode (phone upright)? I posted a few on instagram using my S4, all taken horizontal and they showed up correctly.
    06-27-2013 04:07 PM
    I take them both ways and they both come out rotated. I just took a photo vertically, and 1 horizontally, and loaded them to Instgram from my quickpic and gallery and both showed up in Instagram rotated.

Edit: I re-took them horizontally to test another theory. One with the volume rockers upwards - those come out rotate. When the volume rocker faces down, they come out correct.

Bizarre. It's little things like this I'm experiencing on Android that's irritating. Good them I still have 9 days left to make up my mind.
    06-27-2013 04:19 PM
    It's just a learning curve. I have always turned my phone with the rockers underneath - you will adjust. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Goodness.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    Formerly "Evo_Girl"
    06-27-2013 05:12 PM
    Edit: I re-took them horizontally to test another theory. One with the volume rockers upwards - those come out rotate. When the volume rocker faces down, they come out correct.
    Actually that makes sense if you take into account that the phone, like an SLR, is just storing what the ccd sees. It doesn't physically rotate anything--it just stores an "orientation" code in the exif data and leaves it up to the program displaying the photo to rotate it if needed. So assume that rotation "0" is with the volume rocker facing down then horz with volume up would be 180 and portraits would be 90 and 270. The code is an alpha abbreviation not degrees--and there is more than four--but degrees is easier to understand. Any application that doesn't support that code, or interprets it incorrectly, is going to display the photo rotated. And not just online apps like Instagram--I've got a half dozen PC apps that display photos--5 does the rotation correctly but 1 doesn't. Another problem is that some mms apps that resize the photo may strip the exif data out of the picture completely before transmitting it. So sometimes a human is required to manually fix things :-)
    06-28-2013 11:48 AM
    im having the same issue, i used the rotation function on Instagram and my picture posted fine, however a day later it was sideways and the filter was gone. i thought it might just be my phone however now it shows sideways on my laptop too when i pull up Instagram....does anyone know how that happens?
    10-17-2013 11:31 PM
    @Razeus @JMA317

I'm having the same issue - I took the photo in portrait (volume rockers on the left), loaded it into Instagram, and it was sideways. I rotated it in Instagram to the correct orientation then posted it, and now its showing up as sideways... wtf.

I did some more research, apparently the left side of my S4 (with power button) is considered the "top", so when you take a picture in portrait mode, it's actually considered to be sideways in the EXIF orientation tag. Here's a good page with an explanation of the EXIF orientation tags: Exif Orientation Page

I used this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ifeditor&hl=en to edit the EXIF orientation tag to be a 6 instead of 1. If I look at the photo in the Gallery, it still shows up as sideways, but when I view it in the photo editor app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.photo.editor), the photo shows up as being portrait-oriented. that app allows you to view the EXIF app, but not edit it.

I re-uploaded the file to Instagram to test if it would come out as portrait, and it did. So I guess if you take a photo and you're worried about that, just use that EXIF editor app and change the orientation tag, and it won't be a problem.

Instagram should really fix this issue tho...
    11-28-2013 02:53 PM
    Easiest solution is to open picture editor and resize so it is square. Instagram will not rotate anymore.
    11-11-2016 10:38 PM