Delete Email Account from Gmail app

BBOOSE

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I'm new to to Android and just got a S4 (so apologies for the newb question). But I am having some trouble configuring the email accounts. I have a Google Apps for Biz a/c and a personal gmail a/c. I've configured the main email App to the Google Apps a/c successfully but it has automatically added it to the gmail app as well. On the gmail app I have also added my personal gmail a/c.

I've at least worked out how to stop the Business a/c syncing in the Gmail app but I would prefer to remove it completely from the Gmail app and only have my personal a/c. Can this be done?

Thanks

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
You can do that by removing the account from the settings menu (Menu > Settings > Accounts). This will remove all settings from that acount though (emails, calendar, etc).

Debbie Friez

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
This is for the email app not Gmail. How do you remove one gmail account but not all of them?
Hi

I'm new to to Android and just got a S4 (so apologies for the newb question). But I am having some trouble configuring the email accounts. I have a Google Apps for Biz a/c and a personal gmail a/c. I've configured the main email App to the Google Apps a/c successfully but it has automatically added it to the gmail app as well. On the gmail app I have also added my personal gmail a/c.

I've at least worked out how to stop the Business a/c syncing in the Gmail app but I would prefer to remove it completely from the Gmail app and only have my personal a/c. Can this be done?

Thanks

kewena

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
i also want to remove one of my gmail accounts on my galaxy note 3. However Gmail is not showing in Accounts in Settings.

In Gmail settings there is an 'Add Account' but no 'Remove Account' button neither is there any option to remove account by long-press or from menu.

Any ideas?

lamonfitness

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
With a Droid4 go to your all apps, look for the "settings" app, then go to "google" your google email accounts should be shown and then you click on the account you want to "sync" or delete. Took me forever to find this out..

Azzzza75

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

Go into settings and long press your google account, from there you should be able to delete the second email account.

This just worked for me :)

Hope this helps.

Daniel Kim6

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Just to add to this thread on what worked for me just now

I went to setting> then under accounts, you touch the "Google" one. There is no gmail. From there, you can delete the google/gmail account from your phone.

Kerri Tegan

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Well, I've tried all of your suggestions, which I really appreciate. I went to the dark side years ago. But when my mother bought this, I figured I'd remember my Windows stuff with no problem and I do have a gmail account. Her keyboard is VERY sensitive, and I didn't notice her email address was ridiculous until it was too late. So I made a new one and am trying to delete the '2nd' superfluous one. In settings, there IS no IMAP, holding down your Google Account didn't work. I've unchecked everything in the 2nd account so it won't sync or anything and it will just sit there like a rusting car.
Sent from my iPad!

klf1965

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
If you have more than one gmail account then to remove one of them go to setting on your phone look for accounts & sync. In there you should all email accounts that are setup on that phone. Touch the one you want to remove and at the bottom you should see remove account.

Jmo46

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I know that this is a really really dumb question, but please humor me.

If I press "delete account" on the Accounts and Sync settings, that only "removes" it from the app on my phone, correct? It doesn't delete my gmail account/email entirely so it doesn't exist anymore? Just wanting to double check.

Raz2802

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
If I press "delete account" on the Accounts and Sync settings, that only "removes" it from the app on my phone, correct? It doesn't delete my gmail account/email entirely so it doesn't exist anymore?

Jmo46, I've the same concern as yours. In fact, that was what i instinctively thought of when I saw the Remove Account function.

So I just backed off!

I am surprised no one as yet has addressed this concern. Unless someone does that (hopefully positively) I will not have anything to do with Remove.

Anyone's listening!

Jmo46

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Jmo46, I've the same concern as yours. In fact, that was what i instinctively thought of when I saw the Remove Account function.

So I just backed off!

I am surprised no one as yet has addressed this concern. Unless someone does that (hopefully positively) I will not have anything to do with Remove.

Anyone's listening!

Yeah, I'm hesitant to use that function because it's not entirely clear what it will do.
Now, I did decide to use my Twitter as a guinea pig and I pressed the "Delete Account" button on it. I got the following message:

"Deleting this account will delete all its messages, contacts, and other data from phone. Delete?"

This gives me a clue that it's probably only taking the account off the phone and NOT deleting the account all together so it no longer exists anywhere.
But, I would rather someone confirm this before I go ahead and press OK.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm hesitant to use that function because it's not entirely clear what it will do.
Now, I did decide to use my Twitter as a guinea pig and I pressed the "Delete Account" button on it. I got the following message:

"Deleting this account will delete all its messages, contacts, and other data from phone. Delete?"

This gives me a clue that it's probably only taking the account off the phone and NOT deleting the account all together so it no longer exists anywhere.
But, I would rather someone confirm this before I go ahead and press OK.

Correct. Delete away, it only removes the account from the device.

Clio Litt

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
won't this delete the gmail account? That's what I'm worried about. It might delete the whole thing. I only intend to have it removed from the gmail app on my phone.