View Poll Results: I moved over to Android!

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - of course!

49 76.56%
  • Thinking about it - on the fence.

11 17.19%
  • Nope - I moved back to IOS

4 6.25%
08-17-2013 01:06 PM
80 1234
tools
    You have a valid point. Email confidentiality is a big concern.

I would just hope they don't have access to my contacts, pictures, text records and browser history. I haven't really looked into what access they want.
    06-30-2013 05:05 PM
    The new Sony is supposed to have a 6.4 inch screen (almost tablet sized). Plus it will be completely waterproof (instead of just water resistant). If it's space that you want then later this year a new SD product will be coming out that will expand any HTC One up to 2TB. I'll be testing a prototype out in a couple of weeks if you need more information about it, just let me know. A good way to learn about the best screen size for you is to go into a store that sells smartphones and start playing around with them. Your eyes may love a certain screen size, but your hands may not. This will give you a good idea of what works best for you.

Well....I'm glad you mentioned this as I forgot to include this point in my original post - screen size and my hands holding that "phablet" Here's the other thing I'm struggling with - I'm a very petite person, hence small hands. Back in January I was set to move to the Note 2 - I didn't mind the size of the device at all, but on several occassions of checking it out in Verizon and also using my Uncles, my hands were not very welcoming to it. I've also come to the conclussion there are options on the N2 that i really don't need either. See, using a 4S, I'm *very* acustomed to using my device one handed. Without a case I can reach the top left part of the screen with my thumb, if needed to tap on an app to open it. With a case on it, I do struggle a bit. SO, to go with a device that large - IDK how well it would sit with me after time. Now, the S4 on the other hand - using it one handed is also difficult for me...I've tried using my sons on several occassions. I know some of you may ask "is it really that important for one-handed navigation?" To me, it is.

So, just to end off, IF I decided to move to the S4, this would have to be a "habit" I'd have to break of relying on the one-handed use thing. Which is why I stated in my post above that I need to be fully open & ready to move on to another device, the S4.
    06-30-2013 05:12 PM
    Yeah I guess it's 'only' and android forum when you don't want to hear the 'whole' truth huh? BTW, that's a redundant question.

Your response proves differently. Sorry but it's a matter of history now.
    I would like to know how my response of trying apple and deciding I didn't like it proves I am afraid of Apple.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
    06-30-2013 05:25 PM
    I would just hope they don't have access to my contacts, pictures, text records and browser history.
    They most likely have more access than you think, but it varies from state to state. You should google this just to be safe.

I know some of you may ask "is it really that important for one-handed navigation?" To me, it is.

I agree, if it doesn't feel comfortable while you're using it then you will hate the phone after a while. Have you tried using the HTC One? Have you considered using a smartwatch?

ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    06-30-2013 05:26 PM
    I am on the opposite end of things. I'm 6'5" and the iPhone just feels small anymore. A phone with a 5" screen feels right at home.

As for my wife, she has fairly small hands, so the S4 would be too much. It would kill her if she couldn't do things with one hand.

I looked at an LG Optimus Pro, too much. Was more like a small tablet. I think 5" and under is good. The HTC one seems like a good medium in size.
    06-30-2013 05:42 PM
    Just wanting to get a good idea of how many have poeple migrated from IOS to Android. If you feel like it, please vote in the poll. Let me know if you want another category added.

If you moved over, which iPhone did you come from?

What do you miss about IOS? (I know sending large images or videos can be a problem)

What was you biggest reason for the move?

How many are business users, the phone is your mobile office? Exchange and calendar sync working well?

How does the battery stack up to an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5? (I can only get 1/2 day with my iPhone 4S anymore)

Sorry for all the questions! I'm thinking about at migrating over. I have an HP Touchpad from the fire sale. I have the latest CM and I have been fairly happy with it. But, there are things I can't test, like phone calls, native texting, etc. If I buy an S4(most likely an Active), I don't want to mess with custom ROMs. I used to do that back in my Windows Mobile days. I will be sticking with what comes on it, but will tweak the launcher. My phone working at all times is very important. I have leveraged the Apple Store well, same day swap if I have a hardware problem. My local ATT store is a corporate one, so they said they can do the same with the S4.

Also, what are you guys doing for insurance? I've become familiar with Apple Care, but notice there isn't a similar package from Samsung. I would have to rely on the Carrier, which is fine, just cost $120 a year. Anyone using Square Trade?

Overall, if you moved over, are you having a positive experience? Don't worry, I'm not some crazed Apple fan boy. I just go with what works well, I'm vendor agnostic.

Thanks!
    1. iPhone 5

2. Its fluidity. Hopefully a software update will fully rid the GS4 of any lag/stuttering.

3. Screen size and lack of change in iOS.

4. N/A

5. My battery has been about the same as the iPhone 5. LTE battery life is MUCH better on the GS4 and being able to remove and switch out the battery is a huge perk.
    WiFi_Guy and leathernuts#WP like this.
    06-30-2013 06:17 PM
    The HTC one seems like a good medium in size.
    Yes it seems to be a good middle ground. Hopefully these companies will not just try to make the screen bigger and bigger. A better way for them to go would be to incorporate a pica projector into the phone. I've seen many prototypes but nothing really note worthy. Some nice iPhone cases though. Here's a video showing one which can go all the way up to 70 inch screen size. If this starts catching on I could see it hurting some TV sales.

06-30-2013 06:17 PM
    I agree, if it doesn't feel comfortable while you're using it then you will hate the phone after a while. Have you tried using the HTC One? Have you considered using a smartwatch?
    exactly, which is another reason why I'm struggling with the switch. I do also want to check out the HTC One when Verizon does get it. But the reason I'm leaning more towards the S4 is 1) I've tried out my sons & like it 2) when I had my bb's, I was acustomed to moving files from my Win7 to the sd card, and vise versa...so I'll feel 'at home' doing this with the S4 as well.

also, no for the smartwatch...I'm not a watch wearing type.

I am on the opposite end of things. I'm 6'5" and the iPhone just feels small anymore. A phone with a 5" screen feels right at home.

As for my wife, she has fairly small hands, so the S4 would be too much. It would kill her if she couldn't do things with one hand.

I looked at an LG Optimus Pro, too much. Was more like a small tablet. I think 5" and under is good. The HTC one seems like a good medium in size.
    .....and I can understand a guy of your size and the iPhone size feeling small. I also understand your wife too, it's great to be petite, but sometimes it can be a PITA lol.
    06-30-2013 07:30 PM
    I've tried out my sons & like it
    Can you be more specific as to why? Also, if you make the switch would it be before September?
    06-30-2013 08:01 PM
    You have a valid point. Email confidentiality is a big concern.

I would just hope they don't have access to my contacts, pictures, text records and browser history. I haven't really looked into what access they want.
    They might have access end up with access to your contacts because of how exchange syncing works. Only way they can the other stuff is if they have special software or physical access to your phone(That I am aware of).
    06-30-2013 08:35 PM
    Only way they can the other stuff is if they have special software or physical access to your phone.
    Physical access of phone is no longer needed. All they need is his phone number.
    06-30-2013 08:56 PM
    Just wanting to get a good idea of how many have poeple migrated from IOS to Android. If you feel like it, please vote in the poll. Let me know if you want another category added.

If you moved over, which iPhone did you come from? iPhone 4

What do you miss about IOS? Easy to get and cheap accessories.

What was you biggest reason for the move? Got bored of iOS and android has more choices.

How many are business users, the phone is your mobile office? Exchange and calendar sync working well?

How does the battery stack up to an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5? Couldn't say since I waste my battery like a madman.

Between my Infuse, both Galaxy Notes, and now the HTC One, I don't see anything back on iOS that would excite me.
    06-30-2013 10:02 PM
    Physical access of phone is no longer needed. All they need is his phone number.
    No, he is asking his about his company reading text records off the phone. Exchange Server can not read or access your text messages, browser history, pictures etc. (Just verified that 2013 can not). Note this does not count towards SMS messages sent from the Exchange Server to the phone.

Exchange emails can be read off the server directly.
    Phone can be remotely wiped.
    06-30-2013 10:56 PM
    Can you be more specific as to why? Also, if you make the switch would it be before September?

If I made the switch, I'm not sure it would be before Sept. As for what I like about the S4? Here's a few things... I'll try not to get too carried away, lol.
    1) screen size & the overall form of the physical phone itself-the fact it's made from plastic doesn't bother me at all.
    2) the Hoover feature to view things without physically touching the screen (this will be great for when I'm doing my nails!)
    3) the security feature-facial recognition. You look at the phone and it focuses on your face to unlock it.
    4) the camera features- just a couple in particular: being able to 'erase' an unwanted image in your pic and another is being able to 'place myself' into a pic that I'm taking.
    5) the Storybook app built in - LOVE this one ! I have one my son created, emailed it to me as a PDF & I saved it on my external HD.
    6) Swype, as well as being able to set your own wp to the background of your SMS/mms screen
    7) playing music sounds good - I listen to ALOT of TuneIn radio
    8) being able to voice command the phone just by saying 'answer' when a call comes in. This will be great while driving-I don't wear a BT so as of now if a call comes in I'll pull over to answer it if it's important. If its not, then you'll be the lucky winner to go to my VM lol.
    9) being able to view my calendars items/appts daily as a widget - big plus not having to pull down the notification center or open the cal app to see these items.
    10) moving files freely from the sd card to my laptop, and vise versa.

I do also use my phone to be productive as well - ie. task apps & of course using the calendar & alarm. I've signed into the GP store and most of the apps I use on my 4S are avail, although there are a few that I have to find comparable replacements for still. As for the 'eye' scroll features etc., idt I would utilize those...but one never knows !!

I watched the keynote when Samsung was presenting the S4 with their little theatrical play, and well, let's face it...some of the play was corny lol, but I did like alot of the features they were offering which is what peaked my interest
    07-01-2013 07:46 AM
    No, he is asking his about his company reading text records off the phone. Exchange Server can not read or access your text messages, browser history, pictures etc..
    Sorry, I wasn't referring to exchange server as there are many ways to skin a cat. In many states a company has the right to install key loggers and other things on the phone, which is why I suggested they look up what the law in their state allows.
    Farish likes this.
    07-01-2013 07:00 PM

the Hoover feature to view things without physically touching the screen (this will be great for when I'm doing my nails!)

The new iPhone is most likely going to have a feature that does this one better, via head movements. The feature was designed for the handicapped but of course anyone would be able to use it. I was told it's very intuitive.

the security feature-facial recognition. You look at the phone and it focuses on your face to unlock it.
    You should be aware that this is not a security feature. Anyone that looks similar to you would be able to bypass it. Also, you seem to like to move about your phone rather quickly, and if that's the case then you should know that it sometimes takes a long time for the camera to recognize you and log you in. Most android phones can be unlocked rather easily anyway if you know the procedure and code to enter.

playing music sounds good - I listen to ALOT of TuneIn radio
    The HTC One has the best speakers on the market. Blindfold yourself and compare the s4 to the HTC One and you'll know in a second or two which is which.

being able to voice command the phone just by saying 'answer' when a call comes in. This will be great while driving
    Most upper end phones have this capability, plus many new cars will be iOS7 compatible and you'll be able to read, write messages without taking your eyes off of the road, plus many other cool features.

being able to view my calendars items/appts daily as a widget - big plus not having to pull down the notification center or open the cal app to see these items.
    See above.

moving files freely from the sd card to my laptop, and vise versa.
    Both the s4 and the HTC One will have this capability.

07-01-2013 07:19 PM

The new iPhone is most likely going to have a feature that does this one better, via head movements. The feature was designed for the handicapped but of course anyone would be able to use it. I was told it's very intuitive.

You should be aware that this is not a security feature. Anyone that looks similar to you would be able to bypass it. Also, you seem to like to move about your phone rather quickly, and if that's the case then you should know that it sometimes takes a long time for the camera to recognize you and log you in. Most android phones can be unlocked rather easily anyway if you know the procedure and code to enter.

The HTC One has the best speakers on the market. Blindfold yourself and compare the s4 to the HTC One and you'll know in a second or two which is which.

Most upper end phones have this capability, plus many new cars will be iOS7 compatible and you'll be able to read, write messages without taking your eyes off of the road, plus many other cool features.

See above.

Both the s4 and the HTC One will have this capability.

Wow it's like your a lakers fan

GS4 Love
    07-01-2013 07:51 PM
    Oh my favorite troll is back.... How have you been? Bored?
    07-01-2013 08:15 PM
    I'm *very* acustomed to using my device one handed. Without a case I can reach the top left part of the screen with my thumb, if needed to tap on an app to open it. With a case on it, I do struggle a bit.
    There are two apps that I use on my One that would probably interest you. One is called Pie Control, and the second is called Glovebox. Both make one handed phone use very easy and intuitive.
    07-02-2013 02:31 PM

GS4 Love
    WTH, Keep the Lakers out of this. Btw sorry that they have been in half the NBA championships.
    07-02-2013 02:59 PM
    WTH, Keep the Lakers out of this. Btw sorry that they have been in half the NBA championships.
    Lol thank you for proving my point.

GS4 Love
    Farish likes this.
    07-02-2013 07:43 PM
    There are two apps that I use on my One that would probably interest you. One is called Pie Control, and the second is called Glovebox. Both make one handed phone use very easy and intuitive.
    thanks for your reply in the above post regarding my itemized list As for the face recognition thing, I do understand its not a 'complete security feature' and that anyone similar looking to me could unlock my phone. I would prob use it just for a little to have fun with it, but then prob use something like the pattern lock app, if any at all.

As for these 2 apps you mentioned, I will keep them in mind and check'em out next time I'm just browsing on the GP store.

Just to add...I am interested in what the next iPhone (5S?) with ios7 will be like....so this will also factor into my decision on if I move to the S4 in the next few months or not. Besides, I also do need to wait till an upgrade opens up on our account, which I haven't checked on yet, so I honestly have no idea when the next line will be avail.
    07-03-2013 05:24 PM
    thanks for your reply in the above post regarding my itemized list

You are very welcome PinkChameleon

As for these 2 apps you mentioned, I will keep them in mind and check'em out next time I'm just browsing on the GP store.

Hope it helps. Pie Control is the better of the two but they are both good apps. Pie Control was actually part of the original Android code and they may bring it back in version 5. It looks like the next iPhone should be out before you get your next phone, and Apple is well aware of the success that the s4 and the HTC One has had, so they will be bringing out something amazing I'm sure. Competition is good, as it raises the bar and all consumers win. Enjoy your new phone no matter what brand it is
    ThePinkChameleon and WiFi_Guy like this.
    07-03-2013 06:49 PM
    Thanks for all the info!
    07-04-2013 03:13 PM
    Whatever you decide to get let's hope it's an enjoyable experience. When you get down to it, all electronics use the same transistors, capacitors and resistors.

Simple rule: stay away from marketing and hype and just get the smartphone that works best for your lifestyle.
    Notsosure likes this.
    07-04-2013 03:48 PM
80 1234