Apple to Samsung - IOS to Android

I moved over to Android!

• Total voters

WiFi_Guy

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. Work has me slammed, so I'm a bit out of touch on the Apple news.

Also, looks like some people are voting that they went to IOS. If you vote that you went back, please let us know why.

Thanks everyone!

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
If you moved over, which iPhone did you come from?

>>> I've been going back-and-forth, I would say iPhone 4.

What do you miss about IOS? (I know sending large images or videos can be a problem)

>>> Having access to my iTunes library, Movies & TV Shows.

What was you biggest reason for the move?

>>> At first it was the Display/Screen Size but after Jelly Bean & learning about Launcher a year ago I would buy a 3.5" android.

How many are business users, the phone is your mobile office? Exchange and calendar sync working well?

How does the battery stack up to an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5? (I can only get 1/2 day with my iPhone 4S anymore)

>>> I had both and can't remember neither lasting more than 8-10 hours.

Also, what are you guys doing for insurance? I've become familiar with Apple Care, but notice there isn't a similar package from Samsung. I would have to rely on the Carrier, which is fine, just cost $120 a year. Anyone using Square Trade?

Overall, if you moved over, are you having a positive experience? Don't worry, I'm not some crazed Apple fan boy. I just go with what works well, I'm vendor agnostic.

Thanks! :cool:

>>> reply.

As much as I love android, I'm not locked in for life. I have no problems going back to iOS or even BlackBerry.

As I said iOS became boring. I actually love BlackBerry's PlayBook and BB10, the Swipe-from-the-Gesture is amazing and IMO the Keyboard on the Z10 is THE best. If BlackBerry had the apps android & iOS have I would still own the Z10.

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Moved from iphone 4s to galaxy s2, even though this device is over two yrs old it still smacks taste out of ios, hands down I'll never buy another ios device

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AC Forums mobile app

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
What I missed most was GLOBAL Badge Notifications (those little #'s on App icons).
There's a bunch of Apps that support it but usually either limited to SMS/Calls/Gmail/GV or a few more that the Dev chooses to support. That was pretty disappointing so I was really pleased when I found there was a way to get them on virtually ALL my Apps on both my Homescreen & Lockscreen--> http://forums.androidcentral.com/sh... [HOW-TO] Guide to Global Badge Notifications

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. Work has me slammed, so I'm a bit out of touch on the Apple news.
Probably the biggest surprise about iOS7 is that it will probably have a way to control the phone with your head movements. I would probably prefer an iPhone IF they had a developers edition like HTC does. But I will always be using both platforms. Like most developers I prefer the iOS developeing wise, but as a user I prefer android because of its more direct root ability. That may change with iOS 7 though. LOL... Best way to determine which platform is for you is to look at the apps that you will be using. All things being equal the iOS app version will probably be more polished and have new features sooner, but if you're not using that particular app then it shouldn't matter to you.

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
4s to s4. IOS does have a more polished app store but I love the size of my s4. The replaceable battery is a big factor in my decision. Constant charging and using diminishes the life of the battery and in about 1 year or 2 battery will need replaced. I personally don't enjoy having to spend money and completely replace my phone just bc of battery issues, its much simpler to just open the back and replace a new battery. So I choose a phone that has the best hardware and replaceable battery. Save myself from a huge headache later. Plus let's be real here, since iOS ditched Google their stock map app sucks. I prefer to go with google map as default and only with an android will I be able to set Google map as default. That is one move that Apple made a huge mistake on. They would've had a better chance in this market if they teamed up with Google.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
4s to s4. IOS does have a more polished app store but I love the size of my s4. The replaceable battery is a big factor in my decision. Constant charging and using diminishes the life of the battery and in about 1 year or 2 battery will need replaced. I personally don't enjoy having to spend money and completely replace my phone just bc of battery issues, its much simpler to just open the back and replace a new battery. So I choose a phone that has the best hardware and replaceable battery. Save myself from a huge headache later. Plus let's be real here, since iOS ditched Google their stock map app sucks. I prefer to go with google map as default and only with an android will I be able to set Google map as default. That is one move that Apple made a huge mistake on. They would've had a better chance in this market if they teamed up with Google.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Actually I think the ios app store is quite bland. The play store is far better looking and easier to navigate in my opinion. Everything on the ios store looks like big chunky blocks.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't enjoy having to spend money and completely replace my phone just bc of battery issues, its much simpler to just open the back and replace a new battery.
Only thing I don't like about my One is that it doesn't have a replaceable battery. I'm not worried about the battery going bad, as I'm sure I'll replace the phone long before that happens, but if the phone ever gets wet having a removable battery is a BIG asset. For that reason I am going to get the phone waterproofed next month, and all things being equal IMO it's still the best phone on the market.

Plus let's be real here, since iOS ditched Google their stock map app sucks. I prefer to go with google map as default and only with an android will I be able to set Google map as default. That is one move that Apple made a huge mistake on.
Apple didn't make a mistake. Google wouldn't work with them and Apple had no choice but to kick them to the curb. Google deliberately was making a watered down version of maps for iOS, and that's a big no-no. Apples first attempt at a mapping app was poor, I'll give you that, but the first version of google maps was crap too. The betas I've seen of Apples next version will amaze a lot of people. Mapping is the the single hardest app to make. It takes huge amounts of people, and huge amounts of data and time to be assembled. Google has around 7000 people working JUST on their mapping app. Apple doesn't, yet. What Apple does have a lot of is money, and they can fix the mapping app easily with it. Whenever Apple focuses on a project, you can bet it will be good. In the long run Apple made the right move. Apple simply cannot partner with google, as it's not a smart business move, and they are even moving away from samsung as their parts supplier. Took them a while to realize this but the wheels are now in motion.

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
And the above post shows something I've long felt to be true. Apple could market crap on toast as their new device and the iSheep would wait in line for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Apples first attempt at a mapping app was poor, I'll give you that, but the first version of google maps was crap too. The betas I've seen of Apples next version will amaze a lot of people. Mapping is the the single hardest app to make. It takes huge amounts of people, and huge amounts of data and time to be assembled. Google has around 7000 people working JUST on their mapping app. Apple doesn't, yet. What Apple does have a lot of is money, and they can fix the mapping app easily with it. Whenever Apple focuses on a project, you can bet it will be good

I don't really disagree. Yes, Apple Maps will get much better. Remember that Google isn't remaining stagnant, though, so their Maps will also be continuing to improve. Apple will likely be behind for quite a some time.

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Since when is expressing opinionated beliefs, showing fear?
Apparently you don't know what bias or prejudice is. LOL....

I don't really disagree. Yes, Apple Maps will get much better. Remember that Google isn't remaining stagnant, though, so their Maps will also be continuing to improve. Apple will likely be behind for quite a some time.
Anything is possible. After a year or two passes I don't think that google staying on top is a given though. They can make mistakes too. I'm sure Apple feels that it would be a nice feather in their cap. They certainly are making significant progress in a short amount of time. Some are starting to say that they now prefer Apple maps to google. And don't forget about Nokias maps. The consumer will win here. Competition is a good thing.

WiFi_Guy

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I actually like both Map programs. For most of the traveling I do, the routes have been correct. I do have built in NAV in my vehicle, so I don't use it very often.

When I have to use a rental car, I just use Apple Maps.

From what I see so far, the only thing I will really miss is iMessage. I use it on my MBP a lot when I don't feel like using my phone. When it comes to apps for Android, is there a texting app that can be used both on the phone, and on a computer? Sorta like iMessage? Seems like "Hangouts" will be that item.

Also, I'm thinking about getting a 16GB Active, then tossing in a 32GB card. Right now, I have a 16GB iPhone 4S, with apps and some pictures(couple gigs), I have 2GB left. I assume the 16GB Active + 32GB card will support me fine?

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Apparently you don't know what bias or prejudice is. LOL....

This is in fact, an Android forum, am I correct?

And yes, I do know what bias, and prejudice is. That is why I said 'opinionated', as most opinionated beliefs express bias, and prejudice.

Please try to be a little more subtle, when insulting my intelligence.

Tapped from my Nexus 10.1

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Really? So the truth makes you afraid of Apple? How predicable and boring.

I am not afraid of Apple. Matter of fact before I upgraded from WebOS, iPhone 5, HTC One, and Samsung GS3 were all considered and heavily played with before I went with the GS3. Just didn't much like the way the interface worked on either the iPhone 5 or the HTC One.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site
This is in fact, an Android forum, am I correct?

And yes, I do know what bias, and prejudice is. That is why I said 'opinionated', as most opinionated beliefs express bias, and prejudice.

Please try to be a little more subtle, when insulting my intelligence.

Tapped from my Nexus 10.1

Don't try to argue with angel it's an impossible situation. All you will see is, LOL and a comment following how your an ***** and he's so smart.

GS4 Love

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol