Apple to Samsung - IOS to Android

I moved over to Android!

• Total voters

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Just wanting to get a good idea of how many have poeple migrated from IOS to Android. If you feel like it, please vote in the poll. Let me know if you want another category added.

If you moved over, which iPhone did you come from? iPhone 4

What do you miss about IOS? Easy to get and cheap accessories.

What was you biggest reason for the move? Got bored of iOS and android has more choices.

How many are business users, the phone is your mobile office? Exchange and calendar sync working well?

How does the battery stack up to an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5? Couldn't say since I waste my battery like a madman.

Between my Infuse, both Galaxy Notes, and now the HTC One, I don't see anything back on iOS that would excite me.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Physical access of phone is no longer needed. All they need is his phone number.

No, he is asking his about his company reading text records off the phone. Exchange Server can not read or access your text messages, browser history, pictures etc. (Just verified that 2013 can not). Note this does not count towards SMS messages sent from the Exchange Server to the phone.

Exchange emails can be read off the server directly.
Phone can be remotely wiped.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Can you be more specific as to why? Also, if you make the switch would it be before September?

If I made the switch, I'm not sure it would be before Sept. As for what I like about the S4? Here's a few things... I'll try not to get too carried away, lol.
1) screen size & the overall form of the physical phone itself-the fact it's made from plastic doesn't bother me at all.
2) the Hoover feature to view things without physically touching the screen (this will be great for when I'm doing my nails!)
3) the security feature-facial recognition. You look at the phone and it focuses on your face to unlock it.
4) the camera features- just a couple in particular: being able to 'erase' an unwanted image in your pic and another is being able to 'place myself' into a pic that I'm taking.
5) the Storybook app built in - LOVE this one ! I have one my son created, emailed it to me as a PDF & I saved it on my external HD.
6) Swype, as well as being able to set your own wp to the background of your SMS/mms screen
7) playing music sounds good - I listen to ALOT of TuneIn radio
8) being able to voice command the phone just by saying 'answer' when a call comes in. This will be great while driving-I don't wear a BT so as of now if a call comes in I'll pull over to answer it if it's important. If its not, then you'll be the lucky winner to go to my VM lol.
9) being able to view my calendars items/appts daily as a widget - big plus not having to pull down the notification center or open the cal app to see these items.
10) moving files freely from the sd card to my laptop, and vise versa.

I do also use my phone to be productive as well - ie. task apps & of course using the calendar & alarm. I've signed into the GP store and most of the apps I use on my 4S are avail, although there are a few that I have to find comparable replacements for still. As for the 'eye' scroll features etc., idt I would utilize those...but one never knows !!

I watched the keynote when Samsung was presenting the S4 with their little theatrical play, and well, let's face it...some of the play was corny lol, but I did like alot of the features they were offering which is what peaked my interest :)

Last edited:

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
No, he is asking his about his company reading text records off the phone. Exchange Server can not read or access your text messages, browser history, pictures etc..
Sorry, I wasn't referring to exchange server as there are many ways to skin a cat. In many states a company has the right to install key loggers and other things on the phone, which is why I suggested they look up what the law in their state allows.

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site

the Hoover feature to view things without physically touching the screen (this will be great for when I'm doing my nails!)

The new iPhone is most likely going to have a feature that does this one better, via head movements. The feature was designed for the handicapped but of course anyone would be able to use it. I was told it's very intuitive.

the security feature-facial recognition. You look at the phone and it focuses on your face to unlock it.
You should be aware that this is not a security feature. Anyone that looks similar to you would be able to bypass it. Also, you seem to like to move about your phone rather quickly, and if that's the case then you should know that it sometimes takes a long time for the camera to recognize you and log you in. Most android phones can be unlocked rather easily anyway if you know the procedure and code to enter.

playing music sounds good - I listen to ALOT of TuneIn radio
The HTC One has the best speakers on the market. Blindfold yourself and compare the s4 to the HTC One and you'll know in a second or two which is which.

being able to voice command the phone just by saying 'answer' when a call comes in. This will be great while driving
Most upper end phones have this capability, plus many new cars will be iOS7 compatible and you'll be able to read, write messages without taking your eyes off of the road, plus many other cool features.

being able to view my calendars items/appts daily as a widget - big plus not having to pull down the notification center or open the cal app to see these items.
See above.

moving files freely from the sd card to my laptop, and vise versa.
Both the s4 and the HTC One will have this capability.

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site

The new iPhone is most likely going to have a feature that does this one better, via head movements. The feature was designed for the handicapped but of course anyone would be able to use it. I was told it's very intuitive.

You should be aware that this is not a security feature. Anyone that looks similar to you would be able to bypass it. Also, you seem to like to move about your phone rather quickly, and if that's the case then you should know that it sometimes takes a long time for the camera to recognize you and log you in. Most android phones can be unlocked rather easily anyway if you know the procedure and code to enter.

The HTC One has the best speakers on the market. Blindfold yourself and compare the s4 to the HTC One and you'll know in a second or two which is which.

Most upper end phones have this capability, plus many new cars will be iOS7 compatible and you'll be able to read, write messages without taking your eyes off of the road, plus many other cool features.

See above.

Both the s4 and the HTC One will have this capability.

Wow it's like your a lakers fan

GS4 Love

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm *very* acustomed to using my device one handed. Without a case I can reach the top left part of the screen with my thumb, if needed to tap on an app to open it. With a case on it, I do struggle a bit.
There are two apps that I use on my One that would probably interest you. One is called Pie Control, and the second is called Glovebox. Both make one handed phone use very easy and intuitive.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
There are two apps that I use on my One that would probably interest you. One is called Pie Control, and the second is called Glovebox. Both make one handed phone use very easy and intuitive.

thanks for your reply in the above post regarding my itemized list:) As for the face recognition thing, I do understand its not a 'complete security feature' and that anyone similar looking to me could unlock my phone. I would prob use it just for a little to have fun with it, but then prob use something like the pattern lock app, if any at all.

As for these 2 apps you mentioned, I will keep them in mind and check'em out next time I'm just browsing on the GP store. ;)

Just to add...I am interested in what the next iPhone (5S?) with ios7 will be like....so this will also factor into my decision on if I move to the S4 in the next few months or not. Besides, I also do need to wait till an upgrade opens up on our account, which I haven't checked on yet, so I honestly have no idea when the next line will be avail.

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
thanks for your reply in the above post regarding my itemized list

You are very welcome PinkChameleon :)

As for these 2 apps you mentioned, I will keep them in mind and check'em out next time I'm just browsing on the GP store.
Hope it helps. Pie Control is the better of the two but they are both good apps. Pie Control was actually part of the original Android code and they may bring it back in version 5. It looks like the next iPhone should be out before you get your next phone, and Apple is well aware of the success that the s4 and the HTC One has had, so they will be bringing out something amazing I'm sure. Competition is good, as it raises the bar and all consumers win. Enjoy your new phone no matter what brand it is :)

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Whatever you decide to get let's hope it's an enjoyable experience. When you get down to it, all electronics use the same transistors, capacitors and resistors.

Simple rule: stay away from marketing and hype and just get the smartphone that works best for your lifestyle.

thetinachen

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Moved from iphone 4 right when the S4 was released. I was looking to change for a while anyways, and the S4 caught my eye. I miss some little things like emoji keyboard, tapping the top of the screen to scroll all the way up, and some other examples I cant remember. Nothing too big, except maybe imessage and the attaching files thing. I also miss a lot of apps that were in the app store and dont have counterparts (yet) in the play store. Hopefully this can change in the near future.
I moved because I was getting bored of ios, and even jailbreaking could only get me so far, so I switched to something more malleable. I really like messing with my phone, and the s4 (or any android I guess) gives me many more options in that sense. I have tiny hands so I was afraid the s4 was going to be difficult to use compared to the tiny iphone 4, but I have never been happier with it! I cant reach every corner of the screen using just one hand anymore, so I guess thats one down side, but I am more than pleased with the increased screen real estste. It still fits into my jean pockets (although I get paranoid it'll fall out).
The battery life on my s4 seeems to be shorter than my iphone 4 but that might just be because I am always using it. I am a frequent texter, and if im not doing that, then some other social network/reading/etc. I typically charge my phone at least once during the say and once before I sleep. It does tend to get hot when I use it while charging so I try not to charge it overnight (just in case). It also seems like the battery drain is a bit faster than my old iphone, but thats probably something to do with how much more powerful the phone is. I try not to ever have background apps running, and I use Juice Defender, although im not sure how much that helps.

I have had a great time switching over and would do it again in a heartbeat! I still like ios now and again (like on my ipad) but I am more than pleased to have made this choice. Hope you like your choice too!! :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

WildCatBBN3

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I switched from the 5. Only thing I miss is being able to text and face time my daughter on her ipod but there's alternative apps for that. I've been bored with the iPhone for a while now. Loving the s4 it's a wonderful device happy to have it. Won't b going back to Apple. I believe Google has done a wonderful job getting Android where it needs to be
tapped out on my S4

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I first switched to android last year. I had been using iPhones for 4 years prior to that. My iPhone 4 was stolen and my upgrade wasn't due for another 2 months and didn't want to but another iPhone when all I had to do was wait 2 months. So I bought a Samsung Galaxy Y, with the intention of upgrading to the iPhone 4S in 2 months. The galaxy Y wasn't a good phone but it introduced me to android and I saw a lot of potential in the platform. I thought that a higher end Android phone would be a lot better and had enjoyed using Samsung so decided to get the Galaxy note on upgrade.

I've had some problems with the phone which frustrated me a lot and there were times when I thought about going back to apple. I bought some Apple products during the past year (ipad and ipod) but never changed my phone. On my latest upgrade I decided to upgrade to the S4. I couldn't see the point in getting the iPhone 5.

When I first came on to android many apps were not available and things didn't work as well as on iOS. So I might miss the simplicity of Apple products. The play store also didn't have a lot of content. In my country when I started with android it was only apps, over the past year books, magazines, music and movies and TV shows were added. At first I used to miss the iOS ecosystem, but not as much now.

Posted via Android Central App

leathernuts#WP

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I switched from iphone5. After one week, returned because I missed my iPhone. First I have to say the S4 was a very nice device. People say iOS is behind and I thought so too hence the switch, but once I got it and used it, I realized neither device does something the other cant in regards to real world use. Although cool, but gimmicky, I don't consider air gestures and scrolling with my eyes real world use ( thats me, if you use it daily, please dont take offense). But what really made me miss iOS was the flow and how direct iOS. I though that apple speech about simplicity was cheesy, but after the switch, I have to agree. I had many android phones prior to my first iPhone which was the 4, but now I guess iOS just works for me. And the biggest thing was the ease of on handed use of the iPhone. I never realized how important that was until I had the galaxy. It's very useful for quick tasks while on the go as I am giving my perspective from a working environment. Also noticed, the camera was quicker on the iPhone. My good friend switched from 5 to an s4 a while back and loves it, so its a tough call.