08-15-2013 09:44 PM
146 ... 456
tools
    I think my GS4 is faulty, or at least the battery is! Than again I normally work in areas with little to no signal, the signal is 3G and 4G but most of the times is 4G. So I'm not sure if it's the battery or the phone or if it's normal.

I bought it on Monday, and all I can get on one charge is about 6-9 hours from full to 10%.
    I make and receive many calls and texts a day. Take and send via email several (from 3-10) pictures a day. And of course check and post on my Facebook several times a day.
    There are also a few apps I check constantly during the day.
    Normaly the phone comes off the charger around 7:45 am and needs a recharge by the afternoon around 3 pm and goes back to the charger around 11 pm or midnight.

The phone has all the features on and is not rooted. The only things I turn on and off ondemand are the GPS and the Bluetooth.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-05-2013 09:08 PM
    That doesn't mean much, it all depends on each persons usage, background running apps, etc

Besides, your friend isn't limited, he can get an extended or spare batteries with the phone he chose

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 running Liquid Smooth v2.7 with a 7000mah extended battery powered by ZeroLemon... Because I'm not a chick, a guy with dainty hands or an HTC one user
    Well our usage was similar and I was comparing screen on usage etc. But you are very correct. I was simply stating with very similar usage I got better battery life.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2
    07-05-2013 10:51 PM
    I think my GS4 is faulty, or at least the battery is! Than again I normally work in areas with little to no signal, the signal is 3G and 4G but most of the times is 4G. So I'm not sure if it's the battery or the phone or if it's normal.

I bought it on Monday, and all I can get on one charge is about 6-9 hours from full to 10%.
    I make and receive many calls and texts a day. Take and send via email several (from 3-10) pictures a day. And of course check and post on my Facebook several times a day.
    Normaly the phone comes off the charger around 7:45 am and needs a recharge by the afternoon around 3 pm and goes back to the charger around 11 pm or midnight.

The phone has all the features on and is not rooted. The only things I turn on and off ondemand are the GPS and the Bluetooth.

Maybe turn 4G off? I used to work in a thick building with little reception, and turning off LTE while at work saved me some battery on my galaxy nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-05-2013 11:21 PM
    Maybe turn 4G off? I used to work in a thick building with little reception, and turning off LTE while at work saved me some battery on my galaxy nexus.

I thought about it, but like I said, I normally get more 4G LTE since my city now officially has turned it on. Besides, now that I've used a faster 4G compared to WiMax and 3G I'm not sure I want to go back

Attached Thumbnails should i trade my HTC one in-1373085559873.jpg  
    07-05-2013 11:39 PM

The conditions you discribe are going to be a problem for any modern smart phone!
    The poor signal strength along will kill a battery at an alarming rate since the phone is constantly searching for signal and constantly switching from 4g to 3g only compounds the problem! switching to CDMA only in the network settings will help as mentioned above!
    Going into "battery" in settings will give you a better idea of just what is eating your battery and you can make some decisions on limiting some of these apps!
    You are running the Facebook app and it is notorious for consuming power updating in the backround constantly! Limit how often it updates and you will see improvement, you can also turn of S-voice if you don't use it since it is also a power consumer!
    Your plight is not that unusual as a new owner...batteries take a few charge cycles to wear in, backround apps that are not needed can be turned off or limited, features you find unneccessary can be turned off...it just takes a little tuning!

There are many sources of info on this subject to help you out!

Cheers
    07-05-2013 11:53 PM
    Thanks, I know I can do a little better by turning some stuff off.
    The thing is, why should I turn stuff off in the first place?!
    I decided on the GS4 between it and the HTC One because of some of the features :banghead:
    The good thing is that I don't have any of the lag some people complain about!

07-06-2013 12:08 AM
    well I'm not neccessarily talking about turning off "Samsung features" as much as I'm talking about puting your phone on a diet! I run most of the gesture and smart feature that came on the phone though I pick and choose what I like and turn off what I don't use, i.e. S-voice! What gave me the best results was limiting the backround activity of all my apps and disabling the carrier specific junk apps that constantly used data! My initial goal was to get my data usage under control and the battery life improved as an added benifit!

Cheers
    STARGATE likes this.
    07-06-2013 01:32 AM
    You can get the HTC logo to function as menu... Mine does.
    You could always get a morphie case.
    Personally I'd stick with the HTC one. While it may not shoot as high of resolution photos as the gs4 it is an all around better daily shooter. It functions very well in low light conditions. It also has a wider angle than the GS4 ... Slightly. Doing a side by side at a outdoor evening party the s4 wouldn't even pick up the subjects it was pitch black where as the HTC one was taking great photos for the conditions.

In the end its a personal choice and comes down to what works for you.

Also for some reasons even on the same carrier the GS4 sitting next to my HTC one couldn't march my consistent 42-54mb down and 15-20up

HTC One - Unlocked, ARHD 12, Bulletproof Kernel, Several mods.
    Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
    Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod
    07-06-2013 02:02 AM
    Oh yeah, when breaking a battery in, fully charge and fully deplete 5 times. No half charges.

ne0ne likes this.
    07-06-2013 11:27 AM
    Oh yeah, when breaking a battery in, fully charge and fully deplete 5 times. No half charges.

Yes. This is very important. They say it doesn't matter with new batteries I say that's not true. Not only does it properly condition the battery it allows the phone to read the battery properly. .

I made sure my first ten charges were full cycles. Well worth it in the long Run as inconvenient as it may be.

Sent from my HTC One
    07-06-2013 11:50 PM
    I went to Best Buy in the afternoon and just exchanged it for a new one.
    We'll see how this one performs!

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away
    07-06-2013 11:52 PM
    Let it drain to 2-5% before charging. HTC actually suggests leaving it plugged in at least eight hours for the first charge.

Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
    Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod
    07-07-2013 12:45 AM
    Trade and get the S4. You will then on a same size device, have a 5" display instead of a 4.3" for apps and gain a sd slot. Now, if display size and more storage for media is not a priority, enjoy the One!

Oh, plus with the S4 you can carry a spare battery in your purse or wallet as a back up. Smaller option than a usb cable and battery pack.
    orion575 likes this.
    07-07-2013 01:22 AM
    Yes. This is very important. They say it doesn't matter with new batteries I say that's not true. Not only does it properly condition the battery it allows the phone to read the battery properly. .
    Yes it can effect the meter too. Was a big issue when smartphones were just being developed.
    07-07-2013 01:36 AM
    Trade and get the S4. You will then on a same size device, have a 5" display instead of a 4.3" for apps and gain a sd slot. Now, if display size and more storage for media is not a priority, enjoy the One!

Oh, plus with the S4 you can carry a spare battery in your purse or wallet as a back up. Smaller option than a usb cable and battery pack.
    The HTC one has a 4.7 inch display not 4.3 which works great in direct sunlight. Same can't be said for the AMOLED screen on the s4.

There are also cases such as the morphie that have a 2500mAh battery built into it. Works nice for long days. Although I get great battery life on my HTC one.

Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
    Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod
    07-07-2013 03:13 AM
    The HTC one has a 4.7 inch display not 4.3 which works great in direct sunlight. Same can't be said for the AMOLED screen on the s4.

There are also cases such as the morphie that have a 2500mAh battery built into it. Works nice for long days. Although I get great battery life on my HTC one.

Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
    Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod
    How's ROM dependent on the One?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    07-07-2013 11:46 AM
    You mean how Dependant are the features to the stock ROM?
    or how is the ROM development?

Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
    Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod
    07-08-2013 12:15 AM
    I own gs4 x one x iPhone 5 and the galaxy battery does have the edge Imo

Posted via Android Central App
    07-09-2013 03:16 AM
    I currently own both phones. I find myself drawn to the One more. I just like the feel and the ui. I never really experience any hiccups with it. Samsung's phones great but it feels to me a teenager should own it. I get better battery life out of my one. S4 is ok it's similar to the s3 on battery life. May have a larger battery but it has a larger screen and more sensors and features. Anyways the camera one both are good. The s4 is better at being zoomed in but the one has a faster shutter speed and better low light capabilities. It's a 4mo camera but with larger than normal pixels for a phone camera, better low light and faster shutter speeds.

Some issues with the one is that there's no menu button but I got used to it. Other than that if u save or play gifs they don't loop like the s4. No eq settings but beats on this phone is way better sounding than previous models with beats audio. I also like the ergonomics of the one.

S4 still lags when using the ui. It's all different to each person and how they view lag. It's annoying to me. The phone feels cheaper than the One but some ppl like it. There's an issues with certain types of WiFi connections that it can't connect to. Big issue with me but not others.

Both are great phones.

from what ever phone I feel like using today.
    This is the reason I didn't go with the s4. I was first looking at the iPhone but noticed that just about all the women at my work had iPhones which put me off of that phone. So it was between the One and s4 and I ended up buying the one because everywhere I went when a teen pulled out their phone it was always an s4. For most people that's probably a stupid reason not to buy a phone but to me it felt like everytime I would pull out my s4 I would look like a 16 year old girl.
    08-15-2013 07:58 PM
    This is the reason I didn't go with the s4. I was first looking at the iPhone but noticed that just about all the women at my work had iPhones which put me off of that phone. So it was between the One and s4 and I ended up buying the one because everywhere I went when a teen pulled out their phone it was always an s4. For most people that's probably a stupid reason not to buy a phone but to me it felt like everytime I would pull out my s4 I would look like a 16 year old girl.
    If you base your smartphone choices on what you see teens doing...lol.... I mean.. Lol wow.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    STARGATE likes this.
    08-15-2013 08:54 PM
    If you base your smartphone choices on what you see teens doing...lol.... I mean.. Lol wow.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    This ^ :thumbup:

I'm a grown up man with 2 small children and a wife, and I own a Galaxy S4.
    Am I a teenager or think, act and feel like one? No!

I was torn between the HTC One and the Galaxy S4.
    At the end, I figured the best option for me, to work and play was the GS4. Even though the HTC was $100 cheaper.

I think you should get a phone based on your wants and needs. But that's just me talking crazy.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    08-15-2013 09:44 PM
146 ... 456