should i trade my HTC one in

k4t13

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I struggled with this decision too. When my iPhone 4S broke, I decided I wanted an Android phone. I ended up with the HTC One (the Galaxy S4 wasnt out yet) but immediately disliked it once I got home. It was loaded with so much ATT crap and the keyboard was absolutely un-usable for me. I thought maybe I had accidentally tweaked some setting or something but I could never figure out what was wrong w that damn keyboard. Once I discovered the HTC One was not going to play nicely w the Bluetooth in my car, I drove straight to ATT to exchange it. The S4 had just come out the day before, so I decided to give it a shot and I am soo glad I did. For aesthetics, I think the One wins (screen seemed brighter to me, metal shell is sleek and impressive to hold) but im a klutz and felt like a everytime I dropped the HTC One, God killed a basket of kittens, whereas now when I accidentally drop my S4, I feel like God only kills one or two kittens. So I still feel terrible inside when I drop my phone, but my conscience is a wee bit lighter. The S4 works better with my car Bluetooth than the One did, but they both fall short compared to how my iPhone used to work w my car, which is a huge bummer. Maybe someday the bugs will be fixed in an update. (For reference, I have a Toyota Camry 2012.) I guess I'm a heavy phone user because I have to charge my phone many times throughout the day, but I dont recall the One having a better or worse battery than the S4. Good luck!

Posted via Android Central App

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Its up to you to believe that the s4 gets more than 3 hours of screen time before your low battery indicator comes on ..Its just not possible. I have the mighty battery GN2 and I can't muster out 4 hours of screen on time on any given day and thats with brightness very low.

I get 3 and a half to 4 hours of screen on time on my S4 consistently, and I still have around 35% left. That's BEFORE the low battery indicator comes on.

I run Juice Defender Ultimate, Fast Reboot Pro, and I also have multiple profiles on SetCPU to maximize the battery life.

As soon as the screen is turned off, the device's unused/wasted memory is cleared with Fast Reboot Pro, data is turned off for the phone, besides the necessary applications that need it, by Juice Defender Ultimate, and the phone's processor is underclocked to ~550mHz. These simple settings, make my phone seem to last FOREVER.

You also have to realize, that on the Galaxy Note 2, you're dealing with what, a 5.5 inch screen? I don't think you understand what it takes to power that all day, even if you do have a humongous battery.

If you take a few days, and tweak, fine tune, and power mange your device, you'd be surprised at the longevity of these things. On a STOCK battery, too.

Those simple settings can easily get me through a 16-17 hour day, will battery to spare.

Tapped from my Nexus 10.1

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
i just got a HTC one the other day, great phone but my battery life is absolutely horrible, plus theres some features i definitely like better with the S4

in your opinion would it be worth it to switch? give me some reasons to please hahaah

In my experience ive had better battery life with the one than the s4. I thinks it's more inline with the note 2 on battery life.

from what ever phone I feel like using today.

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
i just got a HTC one the other day, great phone but my battery life is absolutely horrible, plus theres some features i definitely like better with the S4

in your opinion would it be worth it to switch? give me some reasons to please hahaah

I was on the opposite side of that but in the same boat. I was going to return and get a htc one bt decided to keep the s4. I just think it's a better overall phone. Stick with your instincts.

Posted via Android Central App

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
This is what you get with a Galaxy phone, the option to have an extended battery, and not be limited to a phone that can't last a full day

Go with ZeroLemon

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 running Liquid Smooth v2.7 with a 7000mah extended battery powered by ZeroLemon... Because I'm not a chick, a guy with dainty hands or an HTC one user :p

I see you forgot to say opinion because the one has several other things over the S4 then build quality!!!!!

Sent From My HTC Droid DNA Using Taptalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I get about 4 hrs of Screen time on with my GS4, some people have gotten more though...depends on your settings
I am a moderate-heavy user

The thing I LOVE about my GS4 especially after this new update is that when the screen is off, my battery DOES NOT go down like other phones....I could be at 95% battery and leave my phone for l 2hrs and I'd be like at 93%
Other phones you leave it at 95% and 2 hrs later you would be at 75% or lower without even using the phone

While I agree that the S4 has an amazing battery.. I just had to say I don't know what phone you used that lost that much power in 2 hours lol.

I went to bed last night at 3am with 55 percent. Woke up around 1025 and had 50. My power only drops a lot if I am using heavy data or have the screen on a lot (which is to be expected).

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm on VZW, and we'll soon have the One.
I'm debating S4 vs One myself. I don't care about the gimmicky stuff because I'm just going to unlock whichever I get and put a custom ROM and kernel on it, so OS isn't an issue.
I don't care about air touch or beats audio, those are just gimmicks that I'll never use.

The only thing spec wise I didn't like about the One is 4 megapixel camera. Seems they could've done better than that.
Are they the same size? The One has a smaller screen, but I think they're the same size? Also, does the one have permanent soft keys(the buttons that light up to show home, menu, back, and events), or are they software(when you rotate the screen the soft keys rotate too. They're part of the OS, not the phone)?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Oh? Ultra pixel??? Sounds fancy!
On a side by side spec comparison of the One/S4, they had it listed as megapixel

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Christopher Matthews Jr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
No, it's an ultra pixel phone. HTC would've doomed themselves if they put a 4 megapixel camera in their flagship phone lol

Ultra pixels allow for more light to be taken in, in low light environments. The One has an impressive camera, but not better than the S4.. But that's my opinion ;)

Tapped from my Nexus 10.1

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I see you forgot to say opinion because the one has several other things over the S4 then build quality!!!!!

Sent From My HTC Droid DNA Using Taptalk

Like running old software? Lack of accessories in comparison to the S4? Can't add additional storage?

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 running Liquid Smooth v2.7 with a 7000mah extended battery powered by ZeroLemon... Because I'm not a chick, a guy with dainty hands or an HTC one user :p

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
While I agree that the S4 has an amazing battery.. I just had to say I don't know what phone you used that lost that much power in 2 hours lol.

I went to bed last night at 3am with 55 percent. Woke up around 1025 and had 50. My power only drops a lot if I am using heavy data or have the screen on a lot (which is to be expected).

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

I was kind of exaggerating lol but some cases people have had their phones charged about 50% and left it overnight to find it dead in the morning

hadwilmon

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Buy what you like. Everyone's needs may be different. I love the battery life on my One. I'd not have trouble getting through a full day. For me it came down to the screen. S4 screen is just not viewable in bright sunlight. Forget about seeing it on a ski mountain or at the beach on a pretty day. I'm outdoors a lot. The One's screen is much brighter! Also coming from Nexus devices I do not like the physical home button on the S4. Good luck!

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
There are pluses and minuses to each phone and I am fortunate to have and use both. While the camera on the S4 is clearly better, the One has Zoes and Highlights which are amazing features that I use on a regular basis and cannot be replicated on the S4. I greatly prefer the larger, more colorful screen on the S4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463