12-23-2016 04:26 PM
50 12
tools
    Hi

I have the same problem I am just about to go down to the shop and find out what the hell is going with it I have only had the phone for two weeks

Update on this problem with my phone is I took it into the shop and this advisor came forward and I told her what the problem is and wait for it she claims that she has the same phone and has to charge it twice a day ( she must have massive problems with the same phone, and she told me that the back of the phone will get hot ( never had this problem with my other Galaxy that I had), anyway she told me not to use the phone for playing games as this will cause the phone to heat up - what alot of goggly goosh and told me that to take the phone into the larger shop in Glasgow who will have the phone checked.
    10-12-2013 08:16 AM
    I have my S4, but when I am taking photo it drains the battery and shut down even if the battery meter was 90%, It doesn't turn hot. Please help.
    10-31-2013 05:52 AM
    Are you batterys "Made in China" do they begin with serial number "BD" ?
    10-31-2013 11:42 AM
    My phone started doing this two days ago. It does it at night I realized because the first time it did it my phone died over night and it was extremely hot. It happened again last night except this time I noticed and it was so hot! I turned it off and left it off until it cooled down. It hasn't gotten hot yet. How can I check what app might be doing this? Also how can I turn off automatic updates since my phone always tends to do this at night.

Galaxy S4
    11-09-2013 01:04 PM
    How can I check what app might be doing this? Also how can I turn off automatic updates since my phone always tends to do this at night.

Galaxy S4
    If you mean from the google play store? If so you just need to go to Google play store. From there tap on the menu button (the capacitative one by the home button), and tap on Settings, You can turn off auto-update apps from there
    11-09-2013 04:09 PM
    Omg thank you! That drives me nuts that it always decides to update my apps when my battery is dying or late at night
    11-09-2013 07:45 PM
    my battery is draining fast and my phone is heating up so fast, i charge it with the phone being off as it doesnt charge when its on.... because i charge it when the phone is off when i turn the phone on my battery isnt even full even though it says it is..... i brought a new battery for the phone thinking it the battery however its doing the same thing... my phone will be fully charge in the morning and when i get to college in the morning its half full so i turn it off and when i turn it on in the afternoon is near enough 20%... also when iv been on my phone adn it gives you a 20% warning sign of a low battery my phone will just cut out....my soft ware is all up to date and i darken the light and i dont have that much memory or apps on my phone infact i even unistalled some apps... this is not a software problem or a battery problem is a hard ware problem only thing is im not insured as i was to late to claim insurance as i couldnt afford it at the time... i guess ill have to sort it out with the network provider and see what they have to say and see if they can replace the phone with a new one... technology these days!
    01-08-2014 08:22 AM
    This just started happening to me yesterday. I was suspecting an issue with sd card reading causing problems and am trying it out with the card removed for now.

I ended up doing a factory reset yesterday hoping that would solve the issue but it is still draining battery extremely quick and heating up.
    01-10-2014 12:06 PM
    I am having the same problem and if your having a battery drain close all apps that are in the background and uninstall apps you are not needing and with the factory reset will not help with this. On the over heating problem is a known thing and there's no fix sorry.
    04-24-2014 12:00 AM
    take the battery out of the phone and lay it flat on a flat surface and try to spin it, if is stops quickly that means the battery is fine, but if it spins like a top then the side is sweilling and you need to replace it as soon as possible
    08-26-2014 12:05 PM
    Mine problem was the "smart network switch" I turned it off and instantly it cooled down. Not saying that this is the only thing but I think one of them.
    08-28-2014 07:44 AM
    i have 2 s4 phones and they are both getting very hot occasionaly. sometimes in the middle of the night . battery life seems very poor reciently lucky if i get a whole day on a charge. i rarely use the phone both have 64G memory cards. reciently updated samsung OS I guess i will try taking out the 64G memory card DROPBOX is not activated do not use it someone said to take out the battery and reinstall after an OS upgrade this may reset the battery heat sensor
    09-14-2014 01:13 PM
    Why hot s4 30 minats usse verry mach hot what problem
    09-25-2014 03:13 PM
    Hello everyone,

I too have an S4 and I share Superlocke’s woes! The difference here is that I have a spare battery.

At first I thought it was my first battery that was defective and the phone was heating up and draining real quick. So I replaced the battery with my spare one. The same problem continued. So I can safely say the problem is not with the batter(ies).

I loathe to do a factory reset but if it has to be done to fix the problem, I will do it. Can somebody advise, please?

Many thanks.
    11-01-2014 12:12 AM
    I started having this issue after installing the latest Verizon Galaxy S4 update. It had gotten so bad that I'd gone to the trouble of purchasing several 6000mAh backup batteries and a Mophie Juice Pack.

I don't know if it's the OS update or recent updates to other apps or a combination. What I can certainly say is that the following seems to have done the trick (Some items below REQUIRE ROOT):

1. Once I dropped Facebook in favor of FriendCaster (or other alternatives... not advertising, just my preference), I saw a reduction in my frequent need to recharge and quite a bit less heat.

2. I started monitoring more closely and I used DroidWall to block network traffic to any app I didn't think needed it.

3. I installed WakeLock Detector to see what else was eating my battery.

4. I installed Deep Sleep Battery Saver to force my phone to deep sleep when the screen is off (cuts WiFi and 3g/4g) and only allow occasional (every 30 min.) network connections to update email and other apps. (Text messages and phone functions still work as normal)

5. I installed SetCPU and limited the max CPU speed to 810 while on battery with screen on and a very conservative max of 486 while screen is off. Opened the throttle wide open when on power.

We will see, but I can say that over a few hours I only saw 1% battery loss with one or two brief checks of my phone. Note that my phone IS ROOTED and I still keep Bluetooth on all the time for my Android wear and I didn't bother limiting the screen timeout to the recommended 15 seconds.

**One recommendation for those that may be syncing calendars... watch those recurring appointments in exchange that have no end date. My previous phone would die within hours because it was constantly trying to sync those never-ending recurring appointments in my exchange account. Took me weeks to figure that one out.

Hope this helps.
    11-21-2014 01:27 PM
    I have read all of your posts - however, on my S4, everything was working perfectly fine BEFORE updating to KitKat 4.4.4. I have Facebook, Exchange, a bunch of Google Apps, and always turn off Wifi and Bluetooth if not using them. I called AT&T yesterday. The rep called Samsung and called me back. She told me that they are planning a "fix" for sometime in late December. I told her that was totally unacceptable. As a work-around, she suggested that I turn off all apps that I wasn't using - including ALL of the Google Apps. She said to make sure that I cleared the data and cache for each one that I turn off. I have done a cache partition wipe twice, and downloaded AVG Cache cleaner - constantly use that. The bottom line is that my phone is continuing to have unacceptable battery drain. When I go to bed with a fully charged battery, it is totally drained when I get up in the am. This was NOT the case prior to 4.4.4. I want to use my phone, not turn off everything. At this point, not sure what to do. I could exchange my phone under the warranty program, but I'm fearful that AT&T will "push" out the 4.4.4 update eventually and my phone will be in the similar condition. I shouldn't have to disable Sync or reduce it down from "push" to a less often sync. The phone should work as it did prior to 4.4.4. The S6 can't come soon enough for me!! (I'm not going to go to the S5 at this point in time.
    11-22-2014 11:56 AM
    I am having the same heating and battrry draining issue. I have installed "gsam battery monitor", its showing that 99.9% battery is being used be Android kernel. Is it normal or my phone is having some other issue? Please suggest ASAP.
    This is happening to me as well. My phone had been on for just over two hours with minimal use and I am at 70%,with android systems and Android kernel being the most draining.

I created an imgur album with pictures, but I can't post links, so hopefully this works.

If anybody has any suggestions of what could be the problem I would appreciate it. I don't have Facebook or drop box or an SD card so none of the other suggestions really help.

imgur com /a/h6aKz
    04-01-2015 09:52 AM
    Mine did the very same thing. The local Verizon store had me purchase a new battery, within a few days started having same issue.
    05-27-2015 04:05 PM
    Hi, I have recently had this problem and I do not think it is the battery. My last Samsung I had (S3 mini) drained the battery minutes after having a full charge. I asked 02 about this and they suggested it may have been my battery as when removed from mobile, it was lay on a flat table and rocked slightly. This was apparantly due to overheating and over charging. Not true!! I wait until my battery is fully dead before recharging. It the built in apps that drain the battery as well as they constantly update. My last phone also switched itself on and off all of the time and this one is doing the same only this time I went to take my phone from my bag at work yesterday and it was that hot i dropped it, resulting also in a cracked screen. Checked my battery and my battery isn't rocking therefore under the impression it is nothing to do with this. I have a feeling this is a fault with this make of mobile. Trying to currently get through to 02 with no joy. Keep you posted.

Michelle
    07-03-2015 05:57 AM
    I've been having battery drain issues on my s3 for months on end and tbh it's been really doing my head in but I've finally solved the issue, I happened to notice in my battery usage graph that my Wi-Fi was constantly on even tho I'd actually turned it off, I solved it by going into the advanced Wi-Fi settings and De checking the scanning always available tick box, I also defaulted Wi-Fi to the always asleep mode. Result :-)
    Hope this works for you guys.
    Galaxy S4 running very hot and draining battery FAST.-uploadfromtaptalk1436178976572.png
    07-06-2015 06:36 AM
    Galaxy S4 running very hot and draining battery FAST.-uploadfromtaptalk1436179152616.png

This is what you need to look at as well as the always scanning feature I mentioned in my post above.
    07-06-2015 06:40 AM
    Hey guys, I have a question, hopefully someone can help. So I tried doing the full drain/full charge on my S4. I got it down to about 57% and then it started heating up. I checked the battery's status and it said the phone was at 40.0� C and 56%. I pressed the quick start button at the bottom and the phone auto-locked. When I pressed the power button the home screen said it was now at 27%. The phone also cooled down fairly quickly, should I be concerned?
    Its simply a case of battery problem. All you need to do is get a new battery for your phone
    Thank you
    11-09-2015 05:40 PM

Hello Please help me " why my samsung galaxy S4 running hot and draining battery too FAST When I travel I couldnot find plugs on the road I expect to hear from you soon Thank you regards
    Mai Minh
    06-04-2016 02:38 PM
    My Samsung S4 was running extremely hot and battery draining within 2hrs. Initially I thought I was overcharging so bought a new battery and replaced but problem continued.
    Had noticed it started after I had downloaded a lot of apps. So I went into settings > more > application manager. Once in this menu I went thru all the apps and un-ticked notifications and saved the games and non essential to the sd card.
    Guess what? It worked.
    Hope this helps folks, good luck
    12-14-2016 10:21 AM
    Hi. I have S4 couple of months. What I can say. On Lollipop S4 have problems with battery drain i overheating. It`s better to use CM13 roms (6.0.1 Marchmallow). This problem is fixed in Android 6
    Regards
    12-23-2016 04:26 PM
50 12