07-06-2013 01:54 PM
45 12
tools
    how do you guys disable Google Now? I have most of the Google Settings disabled. do you also disable the "Google's location service"? it prevent fetching local weather etc' (not that I'm using it), and BatteryGuru refuses to work without it.
    07-02-2013 06:50 AM
    Here's my question regarding shutting off data. Wouldn't this cause a problem in receiving MMS? Not only getting a picture message, but also receiving group texts?
    07-02-2013 07:53 AM
    Personally I would rather just go with a dumb phone than a smartphone if I'm going to turn off all the features of a smartphone. Dumb phones batteries last much longer. I spent all this money to buy a product why throttle it when its intended use is exactly to be a smartphone. If battery life is an important factor then I will invest in a bigger sized battery.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    07-02-2013 08:21 AM
    how do you guys disable Google Now? I have most of the Google Settings disabled. do you also disable the "Google's location service"? it prevent fetching local weather etc' (not that I'm using it), and BatteryGuru refuses to work without it.
    Go into the Google search app, then go to MENU --> Settings --> Google Now (turn on or off).

Here's my question regarding shutting off data. Wouldn't this cause a problem in receiving MMS? Not only getting a picture message, but also receiving group texts?
    MMS actually uses voice channels, so it would still work...what won't work is email or any other type of data sync.
    SlickSpur likes this.
    07-02-2013 08:39 AM
    Wow! Just wow! You have to turn off GPS AND DATA! And you still use this phone?
    I agree. I don't turn things off since I bought the phone for data syncs, updates as they come,.. You know.. A smartphone .

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.
    Not Quite Right likes this.
    07-02-2013 09:11 AM
    Some of you may know this but I tried this and it worked... Okay last night my phone was at 78% and this morning it was on 74%, on any other day it would drop 25%, so what I did was I turned off GPS, Mobile data,multi window,air gesture,air view. This very helped my phone then at anytime during the day you can just turn them back on none of your setting will be lost. I hope this will help someone out to save some battery.
    Hell, I bet you'd save a lot of battery if you just turned off the entire phone altogether...
    07-02-2013 10:03 AM
    Do you complain about your Smartphones battery life ?
    Few smart useful tips to save your phones battery and get it to effective use.

Share it with your friends & help their phone last longer for sweeter conversations.

> Turn off Vibrations
    > Dim your screen
    > Shorten screen timeout
    > Switching off when inactive
    > Close unnecessary apps
    > Disable GPS
    > No Bluetooth, WiFi, 3G, 4G when not in use
    > Minimize notifications
    > Maintain cool temperature.

Thank You
    You forgot one last thing

>Turn off the phone at all times, this way you do not consume battery at all and the phone can be used as a paper weight!
    Not Quite Right likes this.
    07-02-2013 12:01 PM
    Why all of the snide comments? All they did was post a helpful tip. If you don't like it or don't appreciate it, move on. No one is forcing you to turn off settings on your phones. Some people like to because it conserves battery. If that's not you, there is no need to comment with a snarky post just to prove your point. There are still users who are new to android that are concerned about their battery life, or users who are new to their phones that are afraid all of the extra battery features could be power consuming. This thread is for those individuals.
    hdgamer and nickgalaxys4 like this.
    07-02-2013 12:14 PM
    MMS actually uses voice channels, so it would still work...what won't work is email or any other type of data sync.
    Tempted to post "The More You Know" NBC logo. Thanks!
    07-02-2013 12:33 PM
    Wow! Just wow! You have to turn off GPS AND DATA! And you still use this phone?
    Lulz, i dont have to.. I want to. What the hell do I need Gps on for all the time? So Facebook and Google know where I am and update my posts accordingly? Yeah.. That sounds freaking awesome. I'd love to have that feature..

The answer is no, not a Damn reason. I turn on GPS when i actually NEED GPS.. as in navigation.

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore
    07-02-2013 12:35 PM
    Then why won't my MMS go through when I send pictures if I have only voice no 3G or 4G?

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    07-02-2013 01:34 PM
    Personally I would rather just go with a dumb phone than a smartphone if I'm going to turn off all the features of a smartphone. Dumb phones batteries last much longer. I spent all this money to buy a product why throttle it when its intended use is exactly to be a smartphone. If battery life is an important factor then I will invest in a bigger sized battery.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    For the option to use the features as you please.... If you buy a million dollar lambo, your not gonna be using it to its maximum performance every single time you drive it.. But for sure, here and there you'll let it rip lol same here. Usually I'll just cruise with my sg4, but when I want.. I'll turn **** on and abuse the features lol

07-02-2013 02:43 PM
    i found turning off google now saves alot of battery.
    Excuse my ignorance, but how to disable Google, thanks?!

07-02-2013 06:27 PM
    Why all of the snide comments? All they did was post a helpful tip. If you don't like it or don't appreciate it, move on. No one is forcing you to turn off settings on your phones. Some people like to because it conserves battery. If that's not you, there is no need to comment with a snarky post just to prove your point. There are still users who are new to android that are concerned about their battery life, or users who are new to their phones that are afraid all of the extra battery features could be power consuming. This thread is for those individuals.
    Ok first off telling noobies, or anyone to cripple the functionality of their brand new High performance smart phone is NOT a helpful tip. Its more like coddling ignorance. Setting peoples expectations properly, and re-educating them to the fact that these are high powered devices that do a multitude of incredible things, but the consolation is that you WILL have to get used to charging them more than you've become accustom to in the past. The helpful tip in this scenario would be to purchase car chargers, extra wall chargers for work, and possibly a spare battery for the times you're away from a power source would be way more beneficial advice.
    07-04-2013 12:31 PM
    Ok first off telling noobies, or anyone to cripple the functionality of their brand new High performance smart phone is NOT a helpful tip. Its more like coddling ignorance. Setting peoples expectations properly, and re-educating them to the fact that these are high powered devices that do a multitude of incredible things, but the consolation is that you WILL have to get used to charging them more than you've become accustom to in the past. The helpful tip in this scenario would be to purchase car chargers, extra wall chargers for work, and possibly a spare battery for the times you're away from a power source would be way more beneficial advice.
    There are many ways to go about things. Just because its not something you would do or do not agree with does not make it wrong. I am not telling everyone that they have to disable these things in order to use their devices. Nor does doing so make you ignorant. Some people cannot be around chargers 24/7, do not have a removable battery, or simply prefer not to. This advice is for them. This is not my first smart phone. And as with everyone of them, my brightness is at minimum, and all radios, sync, and extra settings are disabled until they are needed. That is my personal preference. Everyone has one. Regardless of yours, snarky comments are not necessary. It was just a helpful tip, as stated before. If you don't find it helpful, no one is making you use it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    nickgalaxys4 and hdgamer like this.
    07-04-2013 12:40 PM
    Sh1ts getting too long to read. Unsubsribing lol

07-04-2013 05:02 PM
    i found turning off google now saves alot of battery.
    That's because google now uses your GPS a lot
    07-04-2013 06:38 PM
    I wrote this for people that are new to Android if you know all this already that's cool. Thank you to the people that made nice comments and shared there ways also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-04-2013 07:28 PM
    Excuse my ignorance, but how to disable Google, thanks?!

Just go into the settings of Google now and it's at the top I believe.

Sent from my SCH-I545
    07-04-2013 08:04 PM
    Attachment 72713

I use "Overlays" to put icons of similar Apps within other Apps--> https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ay.overlay.pro
    For example:
    -Maps, Waze, Earth, Fieldtrip, Sky Maps
    -SMS, Google Voice, WhatsApp, Hangouts
    -Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Google+
    -Google Play Store, Amazon App Store, Get Jar, App Gratis, App Sales
    -Chrome & Boat Browser
    -Flixster & IMBD
    -Get Glue & Zeemote
    -YouTube & Break.com
    And a bunch more

I just use them as quick shortcuts to similar Apps to avoid the need of exiting one App to enter another.
    The App can also be used in display Widgets within other Apps so you can for example have an equalizer slider show up when you're in a Music App (I put a GPS toggle/Widget on all my Maps Apps).

I find it really useful. It'll take some tweaking to figure out the best placement to not obstruct actual in-App icons but definitely worth the initial setup time IMO.
    On my way to check it out, thanks!
    07-06-2013 01:54 PM
45 12