Found a great way to save battery!!!

nickgalaxys4

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Some of you may know this but I tried this and it worked... Okay last night my phone was at 78% and this morning it was on 74%, on any other day it would drop 25%, so what I did was I turned off GPS, Mobile data,multi window,air gesture,air view. This very helped my phone then at anytime during the day you can just turn them back on none of your setting will be lost. I hope this will help someone out to save some battery. :)

GWILKS

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Well yeah.. The less things you have on/running, the less battery it will consume.
My data and Gps are always off. I just flick on when I need it

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

fishepa

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I leave Google now on all the time and I still get over a days worth of battery life so I see no need to turn it off.

Sent from my SCH-I545

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Why is it some people experience Google Now draining battery when it has almost no impact on most phones? Is location services getting stuck on or something?

JamesBramble

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I've just turned my Location services off and I get 2 days out of the battery on a full charge

Very pleased with that.

Posted via my Samsung Galaxy S4

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Why is it some people experience Google Now draining battery when it has almost no impact on most phones? Is location services getting stuck on or something?

I'm not sure, but I think it may have to do with your phone's ability to get it's location readily(?). I work in an office with very little cell reception (and no wifi access), so my phone is generally hunting for a signal as it is, and certainly can't get location from GPS...so perhaps Google Now is burning more juice trying to get my location info? I'm already prepared for my battery life to take a hit while I'm at my office, but when Google Now is enabled it's definitely worse.

At home it's a different story...my battery will last close to 48 hours (depending on use, of course) when I'm home over the weekend, and I always leave GPS, BT, Mobile Data, etc., all TURNED ON all the time, but as I mentioned above, Google Now is turned off. Personally, I don't "believe" in crippling my device or constantly having to enable/disable services just to get a little extra juice out of my battery, at least not on a regular day-to-day basis...but I also found I rarely use the Google Now feature (I found it to be a cool feature, but just not that useful for me), so I don't mind turning it off. Getting back to the OP, I do have to wonder what apps or services are running that cause that much battery drain (25% overnight) when I'm able to leave all those aforementioned things running and still only experience a 5-8% drop overnight on my phone. Is it Google Now? Is it something else? Whatever the case, it sounds like *something* is hogging resources when the phone is on standby -- turning off mobile data, et al, may render that app useless and therefore cause it to not drain the battery as much...but a better solution might be to figure out what the culprit consuming that much power is in the first place.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Some of you may know this but I tried this and it worked... Okay last night my phone was at 78% and this morning it was on 74%, on any other day it would drop 25%, so what I did was I turned off GPS, Mobile data,multi window,air gesture,air view. This very helped my phone then at anytime during the day you can just turn them back on none of your setting will be lost. I hope this will help someone out to save some battery. :)

Turning things off including wi-fi and GPS is standard for power saving, but I find the biggest issue is clearly screen time, which is harder to deal with.

IN any event...i've decided not to turn anything off. On a normal day, I am always near a charger. I top off constantly. My battery therefore rarely is much below 65-70%. I think that's good for both safety and battery health. I just can't get into a program that basically says, as manufacturers do say, "hi, you want to save your battery? Turn everything off. You know, all those great things you bought the phone for...stop using them." :) The joy of removable batteries is always having a spare. In my normal life, as noted, it isn't much of an issue, but if I'm away, I have spares. I'm going to use the phone as I like to use the phone and not worry about it.

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Turning things off including wi-fi and GPS is standard for power saving, but I find the biggest issue is clearly screen time, which is harder to deal with.

IN any event...i've decided not to turn anything off. On a normal day, I am always near a charger. I top off constantly. My battery therefore rarely is much below 65-70%. I think that's good for both safety and battery health. I just can't get into a program that basically says, as manufacturers do say, "hi, you want to save your battery? Turn everything off. You know, all those great things you bought the phone for...stop using them." :) The joy of removable batteries is always having a spare. In my normal life, as noted, it isn't much of an issue, but if I'm away, I have spares. I'm going to use the phone as I like to use the phone and not worry about it.

I'm actually looking in to investing in the Mugen Power battery for my S4. I believe its 5400 mah. Nice capacity and most of their previous product including the battery for S3 have great reviews. I typically have to charge at least twice a day based on my usage

Sent from my Galaxy S4

limitbreak09

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually looking in to investing in the Mugen Power battery for my S4. I believe its 5400 mah. Nice capacity and most of their previous product including the battery for S3 have great reviews. I typically have to charge at least twice a day based on my usage

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Sorry but its more reasonable to get the 7600 mah Zero lemon and its cheaper too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 6, 2013
Visit site
I have USB chargers through out my house, at work, and in my car. I leave everything on my little heart desires, and try to enjoy my device to the fullest while not sweating if I can't go a week between charges like it's some badge of honor. :D

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but its more reasonable to get the 7600 mah Zero lemon and its cheaper too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Can't argue with the price point and size. But due to the size of it there is no possibility of putting a case on the phone even with certain modification to the case. So that is definitely a no go for me. The good thing about the mugen power battery is that it is small enough where I can still do some modifications to fit a case over the phone.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
How do you have waze and other apps in your maps like that? And what does it do?
View attachment 72713

I use "Overlays" to put icons of similar Apps within other Apps--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.applay.overlay.pro&token=n5FAQOZE
For example:
-Maps, Waze, Earth, Fieldtrip, Sky Maps
-SMS, Google Voice, WhatsApp, Hangouts
-Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Google+
-Google Play Store, Amazon App Store, Get Jar, App Gratis, App Sales
-Chrome & Boat Browser
-Flixster & IMBD
-Get Glue & Zeemote
-YouTube & Break.com
And a bunch more

I just use them as quick shortcuts to similar Apps to avoid the need of exiting one App to enter another.
The App can also be used in display Widgets within other Apps so you can for example have an equalizer slider show up when you're in a Music App (I put a GPS toggle/Widget on all my Maps Apps).

I find it really useful. It'll take some tweaking to figure out the best placement to not obstruct actual in-App icons but definitely worth the initial setup time IMO.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
So basically to save battery, don't use the things that make a smart phone a smart phone? And don't use the features that you bought your phone to use?

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy s3 running Liquid Smooth v2.7 with a 7000mah extended battery powered by ZeroLemon... Because I'm not a chick, a guy with dainty hands or an HTC one user :p

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site

I have posted this sentiment all over this forum - it is what it is, if you want all of the features of this phone in this small of a package you will end up sacrificing battery life .... So just learn to plug in where you can and save the wireless portion for when you need it. Get a power pack or extra batteries and use the phone how it was intended.

?Sent from my Sprint GS4 using Tapatalk ?
?? Formerly "Evo_girl"

Shon123

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
For the people who leave their mobile network off all the time do you have to turn it back on when receiving MMS?? Having it turned on is the only way I can receive a picture message.