05-17-2014 04:30 PM
93 ... 234
tools
    I'm in the market to buy my first Android phone and I still don't know what to choose.
    It's hard to decide between the Nexus 4, the SGS4 and the HTC One.

Thank you, anyway, for this helpful post.
    08-06-2013 04:35 PM
    Updated:

Well, in less time than it took me with the HTC One to feel that it was better than the S4, the Nexus 4 has absolutely made me feel that stock android is the best way to go. I don't particularly care for the Nexus 4 much due to its lack of LTE and limited 16GB storage though. However, the rest of the phone is quite nice and given how much older the hardware is by today's standards it has me quite curious to see what the next Nexus will be like.

So, I've decided that I'm going to convert my S4 to a business phone to keep my unlimited data (which is typically where I use most of my data anyway) and then later - at least after waiting to see what other Google Editions or the next Nexus brings - will pick up one of those when they are released this holiday season for my personal line.

What led to my liking stock android even over the HTC One that I was very impressed with? Well, a few things:

Smooth as butter... in everything...
    Whereas I really enjoyed the HTC One's smooth experience, there were still a few performance hiccups in some of my apps. Comparing the experience next to stock android that displayed no performance problems my guess is that it's HTC's Sense overlay that's interfering with the experience, adding a little more burden to the processor and/or simply forcing the app to try to adjust for some Sense related feature. The HTC One is fast, but stock android is faster and is the most consistent experience no matter what you're doing. Both of these blow my S4 out of the water. It's no contest.

I don't really miss any of the skinned 'features' of HTC or the S4
    Other than Smart Stay, I can't say that I cared much for any other 'feature' in my S4. I pretty much disabled everything because I felt it was either useless to me or just simply didn't work as well as it should. The HTC One fared a bit better in that I was incredibly impressed with Zoe and Video Highlights. Hands down, those two things work great. However, I'm a light camera user at best in that I only really use my camera when I'm on vacation (which isn't often) and when I'm just at home or out and about I either forget or don't care to take pictures of everything and often times just rely on my friends to send me photos. Once I got back home I pretty much could care less about Zoe and Video Highlights because I won't really use it much in my day to day life since I won't take pictures all of time. Taking pictures is what makes Zoe and Video Highlights fun. Sure, you can shuffle your photos around slightly to create a different video highlight, but the best experience is with new photos entirely. Also, while I liked the BoomSound speakers of the HTC One, in my day to day testing it didn't always live up to the hype. Many third party applications actually had worse sound on this phone likely because of software and I found myself sometimes disabling Beats entirely just to hear things at all because the volume was so low. The front stereo speakers are still phenomenal idea that others need to implement, but again, if you're not using it all the time it loses its value (you'll recall I mostly watch videos on my tablet) and I rarely play music from my phone speakers (typically connected to some type of bluetooth device). So, while I love that feature, it hasn't been missed in my day to day life because of how I use my phone.

I'm an Onscreen Button Convert!
    I'm just going to say it flat out, onscreen buttons are better. I never thought I'd say that, as I've personally been a fan of physical buttons for as long as I can remember. It was one of the reasons I've stuck with Samsung in fact. But, after using the Nexus 4 I can definitely say that I feel onscreen is just better. Why? Speed. Since the navigation keys are on the same super sensitive touch screen you're already touching, response time is exactly the same = fast. Compared to a physical button, there is a noticeable delay in activating things because you first have to press the button down and then wait for it to activate the press action. In half the time it took you to press down a physical key and then wait for the action you're already there when using onscreen buttons. While we're literally talking milliseconds of difference (or a second or more in the case of the S4, which can lag) it does become very noticeable in day to day use and it just makes stock android experience that much more fluid.

Stock = Software Updates...
    This goes without saying, but if you want timely upgrades without rooting, you pretty much have to get a stock android phone. I'm tired of wondering if it'll take 6 or 10 or 14 months for my phone to get an update - and half the time it's not even to the most current version of Android. These companies simply take way too long to get it out and then the carriers just make the situation worse with insane testing lengths and added bloat. I'm done waiting and I'm done knowing that at best my skinned phone will see ONE update sometime after the next update is already out and then my phone support pretty much dies after that.

Way more free RAM
    It really surprised me how much skins eat up the 2gb of ram these smartphones come with nowadays. For the S4 and HTC One they pretty much take 500-700mb right out of the 2GB just to run the phone. That's ridiculous. That's also likely (my theory) why even with just a few apps running your memory will say 1gb being used (most of that is the skin). For the HTC One their phone actually says 1.5gb of ram available and not 2gb (because 500mb is being used for Sense). Samsung just lumped it all together so it says 2gb of ram, but even with just a few apps running I was always between 700mb-1gb of use. Compare that to my N4 and I'm typically at 500-600 used and maybe in the 800's on the high end - that's when things like Double Twist, Google Services, Exchange Service are peaked (typically around 50mb each). I like having my ram for me and not for stuff I don't even use or care about.

That's all she wrote...
    Well, there you have it. My incredibly long post (sorry) comparison of 3 great devices. I started with an S4, fell in love with the HTC One and was about to have an affair with her and then came along the simple, but elegant next door neighbor Nexus 4 wearing stock android to steal the show. Now, let the waiting for a Nexus 5 or whoever makes the best Google Edition this holiday season begin!
    08-08-2013 03:00 AM
    Hello, I couldn't decide between Samsung galaxy s4 and HTC One and it was driving me nuts! When I heard about the menu bar problem, I thought I would get the Samsung galaxy s4, because I love the screen size of it, plus the menu bar would annoy me. But then, I heard about amoled burn-in, and that would annoy me too. So I was back to square one. I can't decide what would annoy me more and it's driving me nuts again. So I would like to ask if the following apps are updated for the HTC One so the menu bar won't show.
    MX Player
    BS Player
    VLC
    Twitter
    Real Racing 3
    Asphalt 7
    Iron Man 3
    Riptide 2
    Subway Surfers
    Temple Run 2
    Utorrent
    Also, is the HTC One update available in :
    The UAE
    Canada
    If anyone answers, Thank you!
    08-13-2013 04:01 PM
    you killed the thread
    08-13-2013 04:52 PM
    Hello, I couldn't decide between Samsung galaxy s4 and HTC One and it was driving me nuts! When I heard about the menu bar problem, I thought I would get the Samsung galaxy s4, because I love the screen size of it, plus the menu bar would annoy me. But then, I heard about amoled burn-in, and that would annoy me too. So I was back to square one. I can't decide what would annoy me more and it's driving me nuts again. So I would like to ask if the following apps are updated for the HTC One so the menu bar won't show.
    MX Player
    BS Player
    VLC
    Twitter
    Real Racing 3
    Asphalt 7
    Iron Man 3
    Riptide 2
    Subway Surfers
    Temple Run 2
    Utorrent
    Also, is the HTC One update available in :
    The UAE
    Canada
    If anyone answers, Thank you!
    Personally, I have never heard of amoled burn in issues on smartphones. I've had a few Amoled devices and have never had any issues. I mean, I suppose if you leave your screen on ONE image for a whole day or something that could be a problem, but since that's not going to happen, I don't personally see that as being a big concern.

To answer your question about whether the following apps show the menu button along the bottom:

• Twitter = No
    • VLC = No
    • BS Player = No
    • uTorrent = Yes
    • Riptide 2 = No
    • Asphalt 7 = No
    • MX Player = No
    • BS Player = No
    • Real Racing 3 = No
    • Iron Man 3 = No
    • Subway Surfers = No
    • Temple Run 2 = No

Additionally, out of everything I have installed for my own personal use, only the following apps display the menu bar:
    • Homerun Battle 2 (Com2Us)
    • AstroWings3
    • Swingshot (Com2Us)
    • Wikipedia
    • USPS
    • SugarSync
    • Speedtest
    • PayPal
    • FedEx
    • Fandango
    • Amazon
    • Engadget (lol...really? a tech site that hasn't updated? Guess we know which platform they prefer)
    • LBSFCU

Now, out of hundreds of things I have installed (including the ones you asked to check out) those are the only apps that have the menu bar. That's not a bad ratio by any means. Essentially, what I notice is that apps that display or don't display the menu bar from a particular developer (as in the case of games) typically follow the same trend across all their apps. So, for example, above I listed 2 games from Com2Us, both of which had the menu bar. Bigger apps and developers have pretty much updated by now. The rest are apps that few people will use on a daily basis so it's not a big enough deal to get on your nerves.

Also, depending on your hand size, while the menu bar at the bottom may or may not be your cup of tea, you'll appreciate it sometimes when it's easier to press than reaching for the top right corner of the screen.
    08-15-2013 02:36 AM
    Updated:

Well, I currently have a Google Edition of the HTC One and I was a little disappointed to find out that you couldn't pull down the notification shade from the lock screen if you have security enabled. I think I might have just misunderstood something on that I read a while back.

It turns out, though, that you can access the lock screen widgets though when locked. As such, I think I just found my new favorite app for stock android (since the S4 with Touchwiz blocks the ability to use lockscreen widgets at all if you have security enabled): NiLS Notification Lock Screen. I was previously using Dashclock and while I liked the extentions and look, it just doesn't show notifications for everything I use. You need to find extentions and there are still plenty missing for many apps. NiLS on the other hand pretty much shows everything and supports notification shade syncing in 4.3. Even look good too and has some basic customization options. My main reason for wanting to be able to pull down the notification shade was for my quick toggles (Notification Toggle is the name if you're curious as to what I'm using) and thanks to NiLS I can add it as a persistent notification on the lockscreen and access them. Beautiful.

08-15-2013 01:28 PM
    great thread-
    08-30-2013 04:54 AM
    Going back to the S4 vs One now that I hate my One because of purple tint issue:
    -Is the S4 as good and loud for music using earphones ??
    -Do you have a car app in S4 like the one of HTC? my One is now my daily mp3 reader for my car
    08-30-2013 05:15 AM
    Going back to the S4 vs One now that I hate my One because of purple tint issue:
    -Is the S4 as good and loud for music using earphones ??
    -Do you have a car app in S4 like the one of HTC? my One is now my daily mp3 reader for my car
    Volume seems to be close to the same with headphones. If you have a decent pair there's a little bit more depth (edit: with the HTC One) thanks to Beats.

As far as car mode I don't personally use them. I tinkered around with the iBolt Dock'n Drive (Google Play Link) because I have their car dock and it seemed decent enough. There's some minor mode with S-Voice built in as well, but I don't think it's an official car mode app - but rather more like S-Voice with tailored voice commands for while you're driving, as well as read back.
    Cool Jeff likes this.
    08-30-2013 02:56 PM
    Updated: Graphics Comparison (OpenGL ES 3.0)

So, from my understanding both the S4 and HTC One are rocking the exact same CPU and GPU minus clock speed differences. However, the Google Edition of the HTC One now supports OpenGL ES 3.0. I'm not 100% sure, but I recently started gaming a little more (boredom) and downloaded just a few games to kill some time. Currently, I'm addicted to Asphalt 8 and as I was swapping back and forth between the HTC One GPe and S4 (standard) I thought the S4 version just seemed slightly less sharp. So, I took a screenshot to compare and there is definitely a difference.

(Make sure to view full size)

For those sort of not seeing what I'm seeing, pay attention to any area of the screen that features lines or edges, such as the lines around the windshield and windows that separate it from the frame of the car, the pillars on the left along the walls, or even at the lower front grill (near the chin spoiler) of the car just below the license plate. What should be smooth lines is very jagged on the S4. The HTC One is not perfect either, but it's noticeably better than the S4. Since virtually everything about these two phones are practically the same to my knowledge I believe the reason for the difference lies in OpenGL ES 3.0 and specific games that can take advantage of it.

I say specific games because I also booted up the Iron Man game - which I don't believe is too graphic intensive anyway - and there was literally no difference. I took screenshots of both and laid them on top of each other in photoshop and they were identical in all aspects. I imagine something like the Batman games though may show a difference. I may do screenshots of that later.

Just thought this was interesting so I posted it.
    09-02-2013 03:20 AM
    I would love to see a comparison between G2 One and S4 by you,specially multimedia stuff like screen,speaker and camera
    09-02-2013 05:42 AM
    Agreed.
    09-02-2013 05:10 PM
    I would love to see a comparison between G2 One and S4 by you,specially multimedia stuff like screen,speaker and camera
    If I can get my hands on one I'll be sure to do that.
    09-02-2013 11:15 PM
    I should be getting my hands on the Verizon G2 tonight when I get home. For those that have messaged me and asked, yes I will do a comparison and likely a video this time as well comparing to the S4 and just in general with tons of detail. Stay tuned.
    jaleesag88 likes this.
    09-12-2013 02:32 PM
    I should be getting my hands on the Verizon G2 tonight when I get home. For those that have messaged me and asked, yes I will do a comparison and likely a video this time as well comparing to the S4 and just in general with tons of detail. Stay tuned.
    Excellent!
    09-12-2013 04:10 PM
    09-13-2013 01:57 AM
    Samsung galaxy s4 active is the best device ever in the world!! If I could only figure out how to clear the default settings!!!!!!!

Posted via Android Central App
    05-16-2014 09:03 PM
    Samsung galaxy s4 active is the best device ever in the world!! If I could only figure out how to clear the default settings!!!!!!!

Posted via Android Central App
    try Try Settings>Application Manager>click menu key and reset app preferences.
    05-17-2014 04:30 PM
93 ... 234