Jay-Z Album Download App Spyware?

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
The article says the app collects your location, phone numbers you dial , apps you download etc.

Posted via Android Central App

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
That's the problem when people are too lazy to investigate what they write, and instead just copy what the last person told them.

• The app needs permissions to access storage so it can write the music to it.
  • The app needs access to System Tools so that the screen doesn't shut off while you're reading lyrics
  • The app has access to your location because you agreed to participate in a marketing campaign for free music. You're told this up front. This is also the only permission that doesn't need to be there for the app to work.
  • The app needs network access so it can download 13 songs for you.
  • The app needs access to your phone state so it knows to go to the background when a call comes in.
  • The app needs to see your accounts so it can access Twitter and Facebook.
  • The app needs access to your protected storage so it can write the files to people who have encrypted their device storage, or are using the experimental "protect USB storage" setting in the developer tools.

I'm not fan of corporations like Samsung. I'm also no big fan of Jay-Z. But all these Apple blogs are just parroting what each other says.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Lol, all those permissions just do download an album from an app?
Lolz

I guess the people that downloaded the app thought that's the only way to get it free.

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2 #AOKP-Till-I-Die

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it is fair to bash an Apple blog as this was also on Mashable amongst several other sites. The New York Times today had a good article about the demands of the app as well.

All of his for an album download? Yeah, no thanks lol.

Jay-Z Is Watching, and He Knows Your Friends - NYTimes.com

I think it's fair. They all are just repeating what Dilger wrote at Apple Insider, as repeated to them by the Loop and Daring Fireball. If I can understand Android permissions, a company with the resources of Mashable or the NYT certainly could have bothered to look.

Is this a bit much to download an album that most people think isn't very good? That's up to each user to decide. But the app is doing nothing "fishy" like people are trying to imply.

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
We can agree to disagree on that :) I respect your opinion and simply think otherwise.

Have a great night.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Bah, the next thing someone will say is Verizon has been willingly giving our information to the government. Surely they would not use a popular artist as another Trojan horse. Does anybody have any prime swamp land they want to sell? :)

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Bah, the next thing someone will say is Verizon has been willingly giving our information to the government. Surely they would not use a popular artist as another Trojan horse. Does anybody have any prime swamp land they want to sell? :)

Waiting out the High River flood - Canada - Macleans.ca

There are about 13,000 residents of High River, Alberta that might be interested in selling you their home. Starting in the low 300s.