S4 Update Questions

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 help

Nope, it would say that your device is modified and unable to receive updates.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I guess I was thinking of the NOTIFICATION... which is annoying as hell. And you WILL get the notification, incessantly... Unless the s4 is different?

?Sent from my Sprint GS4 using Tapatalk ?
?? Formerly "Evo_girl"

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 help

I guess I was thinking of the NOTIFICATION... which is annoying as hell. And you WILL get the notification, incessantly... Unless the s4 is different?

?Sent from my Sprint GS4 using Tapatalk ?
?? Formerly "Evo_girl"

8yqesude.jpg

ateganda29

May 3, 2011
Visit site
AT&T has a software update available as well. Unfortunately, my charge is too low to install any updates so I won't be able to tell you the firmware number. But just confirmed that there is a software update with AT&T.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Just moved over 2Gbs of data to my 32Gb sd card. More space for games wooh! (This is a screen shot of the internal space, as you can see Mc4(1.9ishGb game) takes less than 50Mb on my storage as does Nfs which usually takes - 1.5Gbs on storage only takes up 3Mbs.1373393746319.jpg Already love this update. :thumbup:

From my Sammy Galaxy S4 :D

ateganda29

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody else successfully downloaded and installed the update from AT&T? Since I'll have to wait until tonight when I can plug my phone, I'm curious to find out what this update brings. Also, looks like some AT&T users received the update today but was not able to successfully complete the downloading process, was cancelled so they'll have to wait for 24 hours to retry. Also, is this the same update as if we're connected via Kies?

Last edited:

SamBev

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Has anybody else successfully downloaded and installed the update from AT&T? Since I'll have to wait until tonight when I can plug my phone, I'm curious to find out what this update brings. Also, looks like some AT&T users received the update today but was not able to successfully complete the downloading process, was cancelled so they'll have to wait for 24 hours to retry. Also, is this the same update as if we're connected via Kies?

I tried, but it failed and now says I have to wait 24 hours to check again for update.

mlauzon

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Currently waiting for Telus to give the go ahead for the update, I do have a carrier phone, but this one -- because I won it from MobileSyrup.com -- came directly from Samsung Mobile, but like I said, still have to wait for Telus!

Othe12sid3

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Can somebody do a pros/cons of doing a clean install -> update vs. just installing the update? If it's highly recommended I wipe my phone first, I'll do it, but honestly if there isn't any big downsides I'd rather just straight up update. Thanks.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Can somebody do a pros/cons of doing a clean install -> update vs. just installing the update? If it's highly recommended I wipe my phone first, I'll do it, but honestly if there isn't any big downsides I'd rather just straight up update. Thanks.

I just straight up updated, i dont no harm is done by doing so. Some people say its good to do it after a major update, but to me that means like a jump in software version. Like 4.0.4 to 4.2.2. :p

From my Sammy Galaxy S4 :D

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

I have never wiped my phone data just to install an update. It wouldn't make much of a difference too.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I have never wiped my phone data just to install an update. It wouldn't make much of a difference too.

Updating your phone's ROM is no different from flashing a custom one. You should wipe cache at least before accepting the update. Not doing so is like a dirty flash, in fact, it already is a dirty flash, because the OTA is preserving your data. Wiping cache helps keep data conflicts to a minimum.

Sent from a Carbon Galaxy S3.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Updating your phone's ROM is no different from flashing a custom one. You should wipe cache at least before accepting the update. Not doing so is like a dirty flash, in fact, it already is a dirty flash, because the OTA is preserving your data. Wiping cache helps keep data conflicts to a minimum.

Sent from a Carbon Galaxy S3.

I would always wipe data when flashing a custom rom but not with official updates unless it is from ICS to JB. Of course, to prevent corruption of data, you may want to wipe cache and data.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance